3. Norwegian Dawn
Our parents' room with our daughter was right next to the laundry room or some kind of equipment rooms. On the first evening after the evening show, they returned to a repetitive winding sound, which sounds potentially like clanking of ventilation fans. My mother complained to the front desk and a staff person came to discern what we were complaining about. The staff listened and said that it was likely ventilation sounds and that it was a boat and so one should expect some level of noises. My mother came to our room which was on deck 12 and there were no such noises. the noise only comes in the evening during sleep hours and so even after complaining, we were told that the ship was fully booked and nothing was able to be done. With that, my parents and daughter lived with the whining noises for 5 days out of our 7 days of cruise. There was reporting back on the second day of the cruise after we complained but the noise did not stop. Some complimentary gifts were delivered but that did not help the noise which was the issue to begin with. Second last day of the cruise then had an increase of noise to a patterned banging which repeated in a cycle of 5-10 mins. My parents assumed that it may have been a washing machine or something like that. The first occasion woke my daughter and my parents up at 1am and then again at 3am which then woke my mother up enough that she stayed awake until 6 am with little to no good sleep for the day. During the day, on the other hand, is quiet in the stateroom. My mother again reported it to the reception and my daughter also called at 3 am or so to report the noise. It did not help other than the front desk staff offering the solution of my parents and daughter to wear ear plugs in order to block out the noise. I do not believe that it is for the staff to suggest this kind of suggestion if we are paying the same amount that one room requires ear plugs in order to perhaps get some hours of rest. The last full day before disembarkment, we report again the noise and the head of the customer service said that she was unable to provide any compensation or to do anything for us. There was an open stateroom but it was already the last evening and there was not a point to move. Because of the inability for the staff to solve the issue, to provide any understanding of what the circumstances were, and the fact that it made us feel like we were making more of a deal than it was, it was a terrible experience. The noise was bad enough that my mother considered taking a beach towel and to sleep on the deck. Our room was satisfactory but it should have been advised that children beyond 10 years old should be in their own room or that we needed a larger room. It was a hazard for concussions because half of our double bed was under the pull-down bed. My husband and son hit their heads several times during the cruise and it was similar to traveling on a train across several evenings. Not expected for a luxury cruise experience. The highlight of this cruise were some of the restaurant staff, especially the managers, and the housekeeping staff. The restaurant staff were very attentive to my nut allergy to ensure a safe cruise experience. Some wait staff were very abrupt and the ones in the Venetian were better than the ones in Aqua, though I know that they rotate. I commend the managers to come and check in to make sure i could pre-order. The pre-order was only available during the first day as after the first day, the staff were either not aware to offer me the next day's menu or too busy. I know it was available and it was just not something I wanted to push for while the staff seemed very busy with all of the orders. As for the buffet in the Garden Cafe, the availability of food were originally stated as 24 hours but when the time comes to be, everything seems to be unavailable after 11 pm. There were supposed to be the availability of pastries or such for snacks during the day and even if I were willing to purchase, there were not a lot of options. The freestyle cruising seems to have offered a different crowd to be present on the ship. During the glow party, we observed very vulgar behaviours where a young woman was openly sticking her posterior in the air while dancing and her female friends were spanking her with a stick. Then she got on top of her female friend onto a wicker round couches and straddled her. Then she felt it appropriate to grind her hips while straddling her female companion. This was near the pool in front of other people and while two young children were dancing nearby. This was not an adults party and I had wished this was not in the open. Furthermore, one may reconsider to charge someone if first aid is to be performed to support the survival of the casualty. To have a price for performing CPR to keep someone's body viable in order for advanced medical help is beyond unethical. The cruise was good because our family made it enjoyable by taking frequent walks around the walking deck 7, played shuffleboard, which were insufficient for the number of people wishing to play, listened to music, and to enjoy dinner together and family time. We enjoyed the beach times and also the time in the sun. The dance classes were great for family fun but most were geared towards shopping and gambling. Perhaps a clearer indication that this was not a family friendly cruise. I had two occasions where individuals were behaving rudely to me. One person made stereotypical Asian speech noises behind me while I was walking towards the elevator. I turned around and the person apologized. Then another group joked about how Canadians speak "funny" and say "aboot" instead of "about." I wonder if a different price range or ship would change the crowd that gathers? The cruise director and staff were spectacular in helping the cruise participants be entertained. However, it seemed that it was limited with resources. This was my first cruise and it did confirm my suspicions that perhaps cruising is not something that is suitable for our taste.

Noisy stateroom, staff advised to wear ear plugs

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by jlam123