Sapphire Princess Cruise Review

Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by Cruisingwithmyparents

• Sail Date: Jun 2019
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

I saved up to take my retired parents on their first cruise.

The itinerary was good, the stateroom was beautiful and spacious but the dining was slow, on average it took 2 1/2 hours to serve a soup or salad, salmon or meat and veg and a cold pudding.

We chose anytime dining which seemed to make the service slower. We tried going early /half time /later and always had to wait a long time for a table so we missed a lot of the entertainment too. The food was edible, like a bar meal or canteen catering but it wasn't delicious. However, the food on the last night was delicious and much different to the other nights which saddened me.

The service overall was hit and miss. I would say that the staff were all overstretched. The guy cleaning the cabins had 19 to take care of and easily worked a 12 hour shift, there were hardly any waiters in the dining room which contributed to slow service - about 8 waiters per restaurant, the entertainment who were excellent, also had a triple shift - singing for over 3 hours throughout the night, which is a lot for a band.

The ports and shore excursions were enjoyable. We visited Bruge, Copenhagen and Oslo. We couldn't dock at Skagen due to high winds.

We had a lovely holiday but it certainly didn't have the cruise wow factor we expected for that price point. I feel quite cheated and I don't feel my parents got the real cruise experience.

Cruisingwithmyparents's Full Rating Summary

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MD 324

Beautiful Cabin. Great for 3 adults. Very spacious for myself and retired parents

Walking City Tour

Very well organised and reasonably priced. The excursion included the transfer from Zebrugee (about a 40 min drive) to Bruge. After that, we commenced a pretty full on walking tour, had a nice canal ride and free time in the afternoon. The tour guide was super informative and it was a very enjoyable excursion.

View All 2 Walking City Tour Reviews
Copenhagen

I saw the little mermaid so felt very happy.

Skagen

The weather was bad so the captain couldn't dock and we missed the port. I didn't mind though because we had longer in Oslo.

Oslo

Oslo is a wonderful city. A hidden gem. The ship docks in the heart of the city.

Southampton

We embarked in Southampton.

Southampton is a nice sea port but hotels are very expensive.

Cruisingwithmyparents