3. Disney Fantasy
I went on the Disney Magic 20 years ago and ever since then I have been telling my wife we need to take the family on a Disney Cruise. We finally booked the Western Caribbean 6 night cruise on the Fantasy. We have four kids ages 11, 13, 15, and 16 so we had two staterooms. Needless to say we spent a LOT of money on this vacation so our expectations were high because of that, and also because it was Disney. Positives: * Staterooms and our host Ignacius were incredible. He was amazing and friendly the whole time. * We saw the Aladdin, Disney Wishes, and Disney Believe shows...all were incredible but if you can only see 1 or 2, I think Wishes was the best, then Believe, then Aladdin. * Got to see Toy Story 4 on the ship for the first time. That was cool. * Cabanas breakfast buffet was great every day. * Room Service and Bianca were great! My kids liked ordering room service and they would send us little surprise treats here and there. My wife got to know Bianca quite well haha. * For smokers, Disney does a great job having places for smokers that are connected to the bars and restaurants, out of the way from everyone else, but not holed up underneath a stairwell or something like we heard from other cruise lines. * BBQ at Castaway Cay was AMAZING!!!! Some of the best food on the cruise. I read another review saying it was their worst. Interesting because we all loved it! * Overall the ship is amazing and clean everywhere! * Lots of opportunities for photos with characters * Pirate night and fireworks * AquaDuck...but go on it after 6pm and there is no waiting! That was when we did it because we had the 8pm dinner service. * Most of the staff was friendly and relaxed. Our servers at Cabanas for dinner (we took a break from the other 3 restaurants for one night) were fantastic! Ezra our assistant server at the 3 restaurants was awesome! * Trivia!!!!! We did multiple ones and it was a lot of fun. * Bingo - positive and negative. Positive because it was fun...Negative because it was over quickly and we were never close to winning. :) Negatives: * Francis, our server at the 3 restaurants. Yeah.....no. Nope, nope, nope. We wrote a letter to DCL about him specifically and that is all I will say. * Food was good and occasionally great, but never exceptional. Overall I can't say it wowed me. It's Disney. At times it was great, at times just good. But never poor. I can't say I had one meal that wowed me, although BBQ at Castaway Cay was really good. Maybe I was just ready for some ribs....lol. * Paying for popcorn. Really Disney? We just paid $18000 for our cruise and all the extras and now I have to pay for popcorn? That's pretty cheap of them. I think for the money you pay I wish more would've been included like popcorn, photos, a few well drinks, and parking at Port Canaveral ($119). * Snorkeling at Castaway Cay. We did not buy the snorkeling activity because we thought we could just do it on our own. At the family beach they have a section that is roped off specifically for snorkelers. We literally saw 3 white minnows and that was it! And we went out REALLY far, almost as far as you can go. There is no way we wouldn't have seen anything other than they must screen off the water or do something to keep the fish where the snorkeling activity is done. And the reason it has to be screened off is because there is no way they would let us be out that far, unless there was no risk of sharks. Which means they must have it blocked somehow. I can't prove it's what they do, but if so, that's pretty lame. Excursions: * We did Kayaking and Snorkeling at Cozumel. It was pretty good but took a long time to get there. Probably spent two hours just getting to it from organizing at the D Lounge to finally getting in a Kayak. But it was good. Next time we will do something different. * Costa Maya - Loved the beach break! Our favorite part of the trip. Lots of fish to see snorkeling, neat area, and felt exclusive. Only negative is we got tired of the vendors keep coming around to sell us stuff. But it was a minute thing. All the kids said they liked Costa Maya the best. I agree.

Great first time cruise.

Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by DisneyAlumnus71

• Sail Date: June 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah

Positives:

* Got to see Toy Story 4 on the ship for the first time. That was cool.

* Cabanas breakfast buffet was great every day.

* Overall the ship is amazing and clean everywhere!

* Lots of opportunities for photos with characters

* Pirate night and fireworks

* Trivia!!!!! We did multiple ones and it was a lot of fun.

Negatives:

Cabin 06A
Cabins were perfect!!!!!
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Castaway Cay
    Castaway Cay was great. Just know that for the family beach, if you want a chair with an umbrella, get out early. They fill up. There isn't enough chairs for everyone. Read the earlier part of my review about snorkeling. Unless you buy their activity, I think they block/screen off the lagoon to keep fish out. We went WAYYYY out and didn't see a lick of anything which is hard to believe unless they are doing something to keep fish out. And as as far as we were, it makes sense because there is no way Disney would let people go that far, if there was any chance of sharks - which means they must do something to block it off. So if you want to see fish like they show you on their videos, you probably should buy the activity. Other than that, the water slide, the water, the food, the other activities...just great. Didn't get a chance to go the adult beach but maybe next time.
    View All 456 Castaway Cay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Castaway Cay Cruise Port Review
  • Beach
    The beach was fantastic. You have private, shaded chairs and they bring you beverages to your heart's (or liver's) content. We bought a snorkeling mask and did our own snorkeling and was amazing! We saw so many cool fish and stingrays. And we bought food and it was awesome. Of all the excursions on the trip, everyone liked this one the best. The shopping and town in general were very interesting. The wildlife was cool too. We saw lots of iguanas and one guy had a monkey and we took a picture with the monkey on my son's head! It was a highlight for him.
  • Kayaking
    We went to Playa Uva to do Kayaking and Snorkeling. Kayaking was the glass bottom ones but to be honest you were spending so much time paddling we didn't have much time to see underneath and the water was being disturbed too much to really see anything. And the Kayaking you pretty much just go up the shore a ways, and then they tell you a little about Cozumel and then you come back. It was fun, but I wouldn't do it again.
  • Snorkeling
    The snorkeling was great. If you are a beginner, inflate your snorkeling life vest. You go out a ways so you will get tired from swimming. Once I did that I had a blast and our guide went under and pointed out lots of things. It was definitely the best part of the excursion. Not a great beach per se...lot of rocks, but was a decent excursion.
    View All 430 Snorkeling Reviews