Island Princess Cruise Review

Island Princess Cruise Review by Nell2015

• Sail Date: Jun 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I chose this cruise as I thought Princess was a reputable cruise line and which offered a fabulous Itinerary for Alaska. How wrong I was - the food was practically inedible and the shop felt very crowded with queues everywhere. There was a distinct smell of sewage on the top deck and generally the ship was unclean. I was convinced that I was going to have food poisoning so I ate very little. Anything I did eat in the Horizon buffet was very bland and luke warm and the Dining Room was not much better. The Dining Room had very limited choices and inserted another menu which you had to pay extra dollars for. When you go on a cruise you expect to be able to eat from the main menu and not be forced to spend extra to get what you want. I had to eventually give up on the Dining Room and was forced to eat Pizzas and Burgers on the top deck which was not ideal as they were not that great either. The room service was quite good as I ordered breakfast in my room to avoid the Horizon restaurant in the morning, Cabin steward ok but not wonderful. Did not go to entertainment so can’t comment on that but I was very disappointed about the activities on offer. They were very limited and Princess seemed to be more interested in getting as much money out of you as possible. I don’t know when I was so glad to get off a ship. Please be warned and AVOID Princess at all costs.

Nell2015's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BE B335

The cabin was quite clean and at least the bed was comfortable. Very small shower which larger people I’m sure would find difficult to manoeuvre around!

Hoonah Scenic Drive

Lovely drive and guide very knowledgeable. However it would have been good to hear more about the area and less about the legendary stories. Ok to hear one or two but five or six is too many.

View All 23 Hoonah Scenic Drive Reviews
Tribal Dance Show

It was interesting although not really to my taste. It was good however to see the costumes and to learn a bit about the culture.

View All 29 Tribal Dance Show Reviews
Mount Roberts Tramway

Lovely views from top but realised we could have gone ourselves as we paid much more through Princess. It is practically beside where the ship docks so no distance to walk.

View All 263 Mount Roberts Tramway Reviews
Whales, Bears and Glaciers

This was well organised and we saw humped backed whales, orcas, sea lions and bald eagles. They had binoculars on board and refreshments could be bought if desired. Good viewing area on deck.

View All 58 Whales, Bears and Glaciers Reviews
Yukon Van Tour

Driver/guide hugely entertaining. Had a good day out and saw a black bear by the roadside. Went to Yukon bridge and had lunch there where we say some mor animals including husky pups which were lovely.

View All 137 Yukon Van Tour Reviews