Norwegian Jade Cruise Review
2,011 Reviews

Running a cruise on a shoe string!

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by mo6973

• Sail Date: Jun 2019
  • Destination: the Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

I LOVE the itinerary of the NCL Jade. I’ve been on other Mediterranean cruises with other lines who were organized so one cannot say oh that’s how they do things in Europe. The Jade had poor communication from the time we checked in (late 2 1/2 hr start was never emailed to us— a little more time in Venice would have been nice!) until debarkation in a quonsa hut in Rome. No porters were available for embarkation. The one NCL rep giving directions, gave incorrect information causing everyone to drags their bags twice as far.

They just didn’t have enough help! All of the excursions met in the theater at the same time and it was chaotic and delayed or slowed down the departures. I spoke with Dawid at the desk and asked him why different excursions didn’t meet in the multitude of lounges. He said I wish we had the staff!

My cabin steward was OUTSTANDING! My mini-suite door lock probably needed changing since my sister and I had to get our card re-keyed several times. The cabin steward always knew when we needed to get into the room!

The entertainment was average and they did a fabulous Cuba show one night.

The food was tasty but the entrees in the dining room were not hot. I spoke with the assistant maitre d and he said he would look into it. There was no change the next night so I wrote a complaint at the front desk. The following day I received a message and an apology from the dining room manager and from that night the food was hot and delicious!

Some of the excursions were good, others sub-standard. Beware if you take the scenic views of Malta excursion and are taller than 5’4”. The buses are very old and the amount of room between the seats is worse than the airlines! It was not enjoyable.

In Naples, we booked the HOHO with NCL (we had $50/port off excursions perc). They knew exactly how many tickets were sold so they should have had buses waiting. Nope. 45 minutes wastes waiting! When we returned to the ship we tried to retrace our footsteps, but a guard would not let us pass. We followed a general sign “to the ship” which led us to the second floor of a building with NO information or direction how to return to the Jade. Finally a staff member from the ship was returning and we followed her. I was not the only passenger looking for the way back! CRAZY.

A note of concern was the steep ramps at most of the ports. The angle was so steep that it was hard to stop mid ramp.

All in all, I enjoyed the cruise, but I could not recommend the NCL Jade to others.

mo6973's Full Rating Summary

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB 11604

Great cabin and balcony!

Dubrovnik

Interesting viewing old town and enjoyed the winery visit!

Santorini

Loved it! Much more steep walking than advertised or expected. Plenty of free time. Cable car ride was fun!

Mykonos

Very nice! Mid morning break and snack with ouzo was GREAT!

City Tour

TERRIBLE bus and terrible tour! The bus was old, barely had AC, the amount of room from the end of the seat to the seat in front of you was the width of my hand! I am a woman so my hand is not huge! The first restroom break was a joke. We stopped at a small fishing village. It was lunchtime and no one would serve us a just a beverage (understandable). Out tour guide had a nervous tic a laugh and he laughed after EVERYTHING he said! AY YI YI!! Not a fun tour, and the island wasnt particularly scenic.

View All 78 City Tour Reviews

Poorly organized and a waste of time. Save your money! It was supposed to be narrated. The only narration. Was to announce the stops! The only reason I booked thru NCL was $50/port credit. Should have made it a spa day instead!

View All undefined undefined Reviews

I used the HOHO as the cheapest way to get to Florence. Since I had been there before I wanted to go shopping. The bus ride was VERY ice and new! NCL pulled a fast one! The night before we arrived in Livorno, (after the excursion cancellation deadline ) they posted a sign stating buses would be available to the train station for 5! Not nice NCL!

View All undefined undefined Reviews