3. Celebrity Solstice
We wanted to try Celebrity and we wanted to go to Alaska, so this seemed to check all the boxes for us. So many of our friends have told us we had to see Alaska. They couldn't adequately describe it, we just had to go. So we thought we would take our once in a lifetime trip. But now we want to go back. It’s worth it for the scenery alone...it’s just incredible. We had Celebrity Select dining, which let us make reservations in advance online for each day. This worked out really well. There was a chef's special every night, which was usually the thing to get. The 2nd night was halibut, which is my favorite. The service as generally very good. If there was one thing I would do differently, it would be to eat breakfast on Monday at 5:30 when the buffet opens. The shop enters the Endicott Arm at 6:00 AM, and I just couldn't get away from the views after that. Finally abut 8:30 I reluctantly wolfed down some breakfast, but I felt bad about the views I was missing. The naturalist, Brent Nixon, had several entertaining and informative shows which were popular. We loved the house band, but overall I am used to more and a greater variety of entertainment. Doesn't every cruise ship have a piano player? We did the Misty Fjords excursion in Ketchikan. I think this one is hit or miss depending on the weather and if the Orcas and Harbor Seals show up. In our case, it was a grand slam! Saw a pod of Orcas, several seals, great waterfalls since it had been raining for several days, etc. Fantastic! In Juneau we did a whale watching tour with Juneau tours through Trip Advisor. I'll review this on their site, but it was great and much less than Celebrity charges. We took the White Pass railroad in Skagway up into Canada and the bus back. The train goes up the south side of the Skagway River Gorge and the bus goes down the north side, so you get two different views. I would do this again tomorrow! I was taking pictures all the way up. If I ever do it again I'll just sit there and take it all in.

Great Introduction to Alaska

DHamm’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C3 9348
Fairly standard balcony cabin. Concierge Class gets you priority check in, a couple of meetings and more points in the Captains Club. Going to the dining room for lunch on embarcation day was nice too.
Sky Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Whale Watching
    We booked this with Juneau Tours. It was a much better deal than the cruise excursion. Juneau Tours has several boats that hold about 24 people each. The girls who ran the boat were great. The cruise lines pack everybody into one large boat and that's more of a mass market experience.
    View All 803 Whale Watching Reviews
  • Misty Fjords Flightseeing
    I take it that this excursion is hit or miss depending on the weather and if the wildlife shows up. Well, our weather was good and the wildlife cooperated beyond expectations. We ran into a pod of Orca on the way out and caught them again on the way back. Harbor Seals were also out. The weather was cloudy but just at the end of several days of rain. (Ketchikan gets 140 inches a year, so chances are good). The waterfalls were great thanks to all that rain and the Misty Fjords were definitely misty.
    View All 150 Misty Fjords Flightseeing Reviews
  • White Pass Scenic Railway
    We took the railroad up to White Pass and the bus back. The train goes up the south side of the Skagway River Gorge and the bus goes back down the north side, so you get two different perspectives. Also, the train doesn't stop, so snappiung pictures is more difficult.
    View All 1,052 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews