Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by singingbell
- Sail Date: June 2019
- Destination: Alaska
- Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Inside
* Good: overall friendliness and service of staff; the entertainment and music were professional and well done
* Fair: value of the excursions; the food at restaurants other than Czar's/Azura and the buffet were just average, with the lowest grade going to Chin Chin
* Poor: recent refurbishment missed some details, especially in the cabin (see details in the cabin review)
• Stateroom steward was courteous and efficient, but we could never find him when problems arose with the safe and the bathroom
• We received conflicting information between the service desk and the room steward regarding the disembarkation time (we were carrying our own bags), we were unceremoniously shooed out of the cabin at 9 a.m. even though the service desk promised any time before 9:45 a.m. would be OK.
• A salesperson at an onboard jewelry shop was disrespectful to someone in my travel group, blocking her from entering a drawing that was supposed to be open to anyone who purchased jewelry on the ship, openly mocking the bracelet she bought onboard as "not jewelry" in front of other passengers. It left her feeling embarrassed and ruined the joy she felt picking out her bracelet.
250,000+ people have entered their email
• Stateroom shower problems: cycles between scalding hot and cold water; the shower drain became backed up the last two days of our cruise; there were obvious cracks on the bathroom counter
• Cabin safe was broken; called service desk and waited for the promised repair person who never showed... after a maintenance person finally came by to "fix" it, the keypad remained difficult to use (had to press the keys really hard)
• TV: another cabin equipment that we had issues with... even after the batteries in the remote control were replaced, the television would not respond to button presses 80% of the time, occasionally we had to resort to unplugging the TV to turn it off.
Some positives: the bed was comfy... the sound-proofing worked well enough that we didn't hear our neighbors like we did on previous cruises... finally, being able to see the live view of the camera pointing at the front of the ship on TV was really nice.
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
Glacier Bay(Cruising-only port) Rangers from the Glacier Bay National Park boarded the ship and gave lectures (highly recommended) as well as public-address narrations about the glaciers as the ship sailed past the magnificent scenery. The ship spent about an hour near the Margerie and Grand Pacific Glaciers, and about 30 minutes at the Lamplugh Glacier. There's not a single best location for viewing the glacier; best to be on an *outside* deck where you can move from starboard to port and vice versa as the ship turns. One of the highlights of the cruise!!View All 749 Glacier Bay Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Glacier Bay Cruise Port Review
JuneauRented a car and drove to Mendenhall Glacier where we hiked to see Nugget FallsView All 1,559 Juneau Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Juneau Cruise Port Review
KetchikanFun show for the younger members of our group, and I enjoyed it more than I expected!View All 1,791 Ketchikan Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Ketchikan Cruise Port Review
White Pass Scenic RailwayWhite Pass Railway and Yukon Expedition: bus trip from the cruise port to Caribou Pass and train trip back. The unusually warm temperature caused cancellation of some of the planned activities at Caribou Pass for the safety of the sled dogs, but the scenery from the bus and the train especially was spectacular! The excursion was the most expensive that we booked on this cruise, and I would recommend it, though probably could have saved money by booking independently.View All 1,107 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews