3. Island Princess
I was given this cruise as a gift, so I didn't choose it. We have a avoided cruises in favour of single venue trips. We are young, fit seniors. This was my wife & I's 1st cruise so I can't fairly compare it to other cruises but our "1st cruise" thoughts may be useful to others. We went with another couple. We took advantage of the opportunity to fly into Vancouver 2 days before the cruise so we would have 1 full day to explore as well as arrival & departure partial days. We took a full day tour of Vancouver and we're glad we did. Vancouver is worth exploring. Embarkation was a breeze. Our hotel was just a block from the cruise terminal so we transferred our own luggage on foot. The cabin and balcony were roomier than I thought it would they would be although the shower was smaller than I thought possible. I'm sure many of the guests on the ship would not fit in the shower at all. The cabin was well appointed and equipped, the bed comfortable and the closet generous. The cabin steward service was exceptional - I don't recall ever returning to the cabin without it having been serviced. We attended the shows almost every night and they were very enjoyable - very worthwhile, especially in that we're used to all-inclusive resort shows that are very amateur. We signed up for the 'anytime dining'. We split our meals between the dining room and the buffet. breakfast split between the 2, lunch in the buffet and dinner in the dining room. The service in both was very good. The food in both was disappointing more often than not - given that the food is often what frequent cruisers rave about. For example I had an 'extra cost' steak in the dining room that was tough, under-cooked and under-rested. I think the best individual items I had were in the buffet: a beef medallion and a turkey roll. There was also a 'burger grill' by the pool that I tried once - only once because the line-up was usually longer than a burger was worth. The highlights of the cruise were the scenery from the ship, the ports of call & the land portion to Denali. How else can you stand at the base of a glacier in a light jacket on your balcony with a drink in hand. I can't say I'd do this cruise again only because there are so many other things to do. I would neither recommend nor warn-off about this cruise as I'd defer to more experienced cruisers. Having said that, I don't regret going. I do wonder if other ships offer better, more reliable food.

1st time