3. Crown Princess
We booked this cruise to spend time with family and visit places we’ve never been. However, the ship was old and falling apart and caused us to miss Dublin and be late to Liverpool. We didn’t even get to stop at Guernsey at all, and the captain announced it as though it was a good thing we “get to” spend another day at sea. In every case the time spent at each port was much too brief. The smell of sewage came up from our shower drain, water soaked the carpet in the halls, a toilet that didn't always flush, broken elevators, bit up by something during sleep with new red marks each morning, internet that didn't work. Four of us were crammed into the tiny cabin and it was torturous, but there was nothing we could do so we tried to make the best of it. With such an incredibly small shower, it was a wonder why so much space was taken by a thick folded metal stool double zip-tied hanging from the handrail inside. The gym was old with broken equipment. For all the technology they’re adding with touch-screens and their new “medallion,” the ship itself is still a dump. The “entertainment” was embarrassing, with the target audience being over 90 years old no longer of sound mind. I watched three shows to be nice to other family who wanted us to go with them, but each show was awful. Ship activities consisted of those you’d see at a retirement home, like bingo. Unfortunately we witnessed a Zumba class right in the middle of a main open area, and we will never be able to un-see it. We felt generally trapped without anywhere nice we could go, and it was like a prison on the sea.  The food was not good and literally inedible in some cases; fake eggs, plastic bacon, rubber cheese, food with a chemical taste, and lots of breads and sugar. Princess Cruises lied to us about some of the excursions, inclusions and packages, and when we brought it to their attention they didn’t make things right. Multiple lies to trick us into spending more money, like promising a free reservation for premium dining but then telling us after eating it’s not free, or telling us we can’t leave the ship unless we pay for one of their excursions. We purchased soda packages for the kids and yet they were often told “no” or only allowed a very small portion, so we can warn everyone the packages are not worth it. Prices charged were higher than what was listed on the menu, and it’s unfortunate you can’t trust them to be honest. This cruise was a waste of time and money. It even made us all sick, probably from the bad food and being trapped on a dirty old ship. “Come back new” is a lie - I feel wiped out and ripped off. It was a terrible, awful experience, and one that I never want to repeat as long as I live. Now I need to plan another trip to the UK without the limitations of having to get back on a ship by dinner time. If I ever take a cruise again, it won’t be with Princess.

Worst Vacation Possible - Prison on the Sea

Crown Princess Cruise Review by VitaminD5

VitaminD5’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get Crown Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BB A259
Tiny and uncomfortable. Previous guest's food in the fridge. Balcony was filthy, sticky tables and chairs. Gross. The smell of sewage came up from our shower drain, water soaked the carpet in the halls, a toilet that didn't always flush, broken elevators, bit up by something during sleep with new red marks each morning, internet that didn't work. With such an incredibly small shower, it was a wonder why so much space was taken by a thick folded metal stool double zip-tied hanging from the handrail inside. For all the technology they’re adding with touch-screens and their new “medallion,” the ship itself is still a dump.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Londonderry Walking Tour
    The tour to Londonderry was a learning experience. It was all too brief, but we learned about the tension between both sides of the wall, Londonderry / Derry, or Stroke City and it's very interesting. Food served on the tour was not good though and we could have easily found much better food. We had time for a brief run into Belfast and plan to go back without the limitations of having to return to a cruise ship.
    View All 1 Londonderry Walking Tour Reviews
  • Cobh (Cork)
    Our family went on the excursion to House of Waterford Crystal & Lismore, and it was pretty good. The guide was excellent. The only problem was our visit was much too short.

One of the best meals we had was at The Munster Bar across the street from Waterford Crystal. They have a Guinness and Steak Pie and fresh fish and chips that are outstanding.

I would love to go back to this area without the restrictions of a cruise ship.
    View All 343 Cobh (Cork) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cobh (Cork) Cruise Port Review
  • Dublin
    We originally had the Dublin Castle & The Book of Kells tour booked, but Princess had mechanical problems that caused us to arrive at 4pm, so we missed everything. We had even bought tickets to visit St. Patricks Cathedral and The Guinness Storehouse outside of a Princess tour because we would have had time to visit had the ship been on time. We were told our excursion was cancelled and we'd be refunded automatically, but they never refunded us. Princess told us that we wouldn't be able to get off the ship unless we paid them for a shuttle excursion but once off the ship we learned they lied to us, and we could have taken a taxi. Worse, they charged us $16 per person, but all 6 of us could have taken a taxi for only pound 10. Princess Cruises cheated us out of visiting Dublin and the only way they can make up for this is to pay for our flights and hotel to visit Dublin again.
    View All 12,792 Dublin Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Dublin Cruise Port Review
  • Edinburgh (South Queensferry)
    Much too brief for Edinburgh, and this tour caused us to spend most of our day in a bus only to see Sterling Castle. The tour description isn't accurate; there is no time for shopping and you won't get to see Edinburgh. We saw the Wallace monument from a distance but didn't get to visit. Not a good tour. Will plan another trip that is not on a cruise so we can visit properly.
    View All 12,792 Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Cruise Port Review
  • Greenock (Glasgow)
    We took the excursion tour, "Best of the Scottish Highlands." It was a beautiful drive and we had some time to walk around. Definitely want to return without the limitations of the cruise.
    View All 222 Greenock (Glasgow) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Greenock (Glasgow) Cruise Port Review
  • Invergordon (Inverness)
    The tour guide made this a great tour. George Munroe of Munroe Highland Tours - he's fantastic! I'd love to take any of his tours. Great sense of humor and also educational. The sites were beautiful and nice to see, but it was all too brief. Would like to return without the limitations of the cruise.
    View All 12,792 Invergordon (Inverness) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Invergordon (Inverness) Cruise Port Review
  • Le Havre
    Lots of time on a bus. Monet's home was extremely crowded, and we didn't get to see much of anything else nearby. Time in Rouen was much too brief. Will return without the limitations of a cruise.
    View All 12,792 Le Havre Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Le Havre Cruise Port Review
  • Liverpool
    Due to Princess Cruises mechanical problems we were late to Liverpool. We paid for a hop on / off bus to take us around Liverpool and ran out of time, so we didn't get to see much or do what we'd planned.
    View All 109 Liverpool Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Liverpool Cruise Port Review
  • Southampton
    After a long flight we were made to wait quite a while to board. A very long wait at the airport, a long bus ride, followed by another long wait in another line. Then we learn that we had to surrender our passports, which was not good. (We wanted to leave the ship completely, so maybe that's why Princess takes them away, so we're completely trapped in the prison of the sea.) To make things even worse, they made a mistake and didn't print my card and had to give me a temporary card, instructing me to go find a specific place on ship where I could get one printed. However, since I didn't have my card, I was grilled by every single person in every single area as I boarded. This wasn't my mistake, yet I was certainly paying for it. After passing 2 or 3 people, I was not permitted to board the ship until someone went to get me a card.
    View All 969 Southampton Cruise Port Reviews