3. Royal Princess
What a way to take your first Alaskan Cruise, depart the day after the summer solstice, have the best weather that they have seen in awhile, and do a one way trip up the coast with awesome visibility. Note: heading North get cabin on Starboard, heading South get cabin on Port. This was my first trip with Princess and I will say that the whole experience was enhanced with the introduction of the Medallion System - room card/key on steroids. You set everything up on your phone before you even set off for your trip: download apps for use on the ship, add passport info and other documents for fast efficient check in, and check out how to use the "whole" system to make your onboard time so much more meaningful and effective. When you can just walk up to your cabin and the door is unlocked automatically, enter a bar area and they know who you are, find others in your party at any time, and do any charge on the ship through the use of the Medallion - it is technology being used for the best. The only negative thing I will say about disembarkation was they moved the depart time by an hour but were not set up to let us start checking in any earlier, so we sat for an hour before they were ready for us, but the actual check in was actually a wave of the medallion and we were done. This will not be our last trip with Princess Cruise. Overall, our experience was amazing because of all of the things you look for in a cruise: Ship and service/amenities, quality of shows/drinks/food, ports, and ensuring the number of positive things far exceed the number of negative things. Bottom line - Alaska is a must.

Northern Light & Heat Wave

Royal Princess Cruise Review by mstout722

• Sail Date: June 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony (obstructed view)

Bottom line - Alaska is a must.
mstout722’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Balcony (obstructed view)
Cabin BW 8404
The cabin was par for the course, but the bed was amazing. It was not the best for storage as we were on a cold water cruise and brought too many "layers". As for a partially obstructed view - Initially, I was a little depressed that we were booking an obstructed view, but when I got to the cabin and saw that it was only the very top of a life boat and obstructed very little, I was a happy cabineer.
Emerald Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins