Crystal Symphony Cruise Review

Like an aging starlet, she's had "work" done and looks great

Crystal Symphony Cruise Review by Balliett

• Sail Date: Jun 2019
  • Destination: Pacific Coastal
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Stateroom with Large Picture Window

We chose this cruise for the itinerary. We're a couple of a certain age. Second Crystal cruise, dozens of other cruises over the decades. Our cruise Beijing to Hong Kong in 2015 was my favorite cruise ever.

Cabin: Outside window on deck 7.  Balconies were all booked when we signed up.  No upsell offer unlike last time.  Cabin was clean and well taken care of. Ship must have sailed full, but nothing was crowded.  The weather didn't lend to sun worshiping, except the last day, in Vancouver, the heated pool was open and in use.

Food:  Service was good and no lines for the MDR longer than five minutes (at 6pm). We found a waiter we liked, South African young gent, and asked for his table each night.  We ate at Umi once, and had rez for Prego on "formal" night, (blue blazer and gray pants, tie.) but cancelled when we learned MDR had lobster.  Brought on board live, said two reliable bartenders.  (All drinks free, of course)  We liked MDR a lot.  As usual we had hot breakfast in the room daily.  On time and accurate.  This was the only occasion on which we tip "extra."

Entertainment: We liked the historical lectures (San Fran earthquake, Lewis and Clark) and skipped a lecture rumored to be somewhat political. I cruise to reduce my blood pressure, thanks. We especially enjoyed the Broadway themed show.

Shore Exc: Just did two. Seemed reasonable in price. In Vancouver we took a cab to a museum.

Would we go again? Absolutely. Find a good price and it's a value. There's a mid-level cruise line sailing to Iceland next year I have my eye on. Crystal has this itinerary for 2021, but at my age I don't buy green bananas.

Balliett's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Stateroom with Large Picture Window
Cabin C2 7118

Adequate size. Deck 7 is handy for walking on deck

San Francisco

We just walked from the ship. Said Hi to the sea lions. We've been to SF often.

Monterey

It was a tender port. We had just visited, so I just went in for some raw oysters. Big and yummy. If you take an excursion, check out the state park along the coast.

Astoria, Oregon

A charming little town. Lots of movies were shot here. My kids were the right age for the Goonies, thirty-two years ago, so I had seen the movie often. Oh, this was also the terminus of Lewis and Clark, so that's the excursion we took. Maritime Museum is worth an hour or so.

Seattle

We did Boeing, as we've seen most of the other sites. Good trip. Well organized. That 787 looks like a real upgrade.

Victoria

Another small town I'd like to come back and stay. We did the hop-on bus.

Vancouver

We were docked two days. We took a taxi to the Anthropological Museum. If you go, be sure to walk around outside. By the way, there are no Ubers or Lyfts in British Columbia. Maybe in 2020. Cabs seem pretty reasonable.

Balliett