3. Norwegian Gem
I've always wanted to travel to Bermuda, but hotels are pricey. This cruise gave us the opportunity to check out the island without making a commitment. Bermuda is a wonderful island with pristine pink sand beaches, western food and conveniences and everyone speaks English fluently. the island is exceptionally clean—a very nice contrast to the Caribbean islands. People are friendly and helpful. Sadly, we didn't get enough time to explore it in depth as we wasted half a day on the port tour which was a waste of time. We also did the full day island tour. This tour was a good idea for first-timers. Norwegian Gem is a beautiful ship.The staff are friendly and accommodating. Reynaud and Gavin were wonderful attentive servers in the Grand Pacific and Shirley was awesome at helping me manage my dietary issues. The French Bistro is probably the best kept secret on the ship and Stanislav does an amazing job of keeping this restaurant humming. We ordered the filet mignon and it was beyond superb. If you can't get into Cagney's, be sure to get a table here. Also kudos to the girls and bartenders in the Martini bar. Great friendly service and very prompt. I don't know how they keep so many orders straight. Our complaint was with the maintenance department. They were painting on Deck 13 and the fumes were coming down into our cabin, spoiling our ability to enjoy our beautiful room. We complained constantly throughout the week but nothing changed. They kept painting. I ended up with a very sore throat and sinus problems. One day the a/c was not working. This was repaired in a few hours. We were on Deck 11 under a dining area. At night the cleaners banged around waking us up. Again we complained. It helped a bit, but didn't stop completely. Our sleep was interrupted. This department gets a grade zero in their customer service. RE the casino: we don't appreciate smoking being allowed in the casino. I'm sensitive to cigarette smoke. In Canada we enjoy non-smoking casinos. This casino didn't make any money from me. In general most general areas are quite crowded, but good staff ratios made for expedient service. I looked for a pilates or yoga class, but didn't see one listed. Overall the cruise was wonderful.

Very relaxing cruise

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by mchivers

• Sail Date: June 2019
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Aft-Facing Mini-Suite with Balcony

I looked for a pilates or yoga class, but didn't see one listed.

Overall the cruise was wonderful.
mchivers’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

Aft-Facing Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin M1 11156
This is a gorgeous suite and should be problem free, but it wasn't. Our complaint was with the maintenance department. 1) The painting on Deck 13 caused fumes in our cabin, spoiling our experience. We complained constantly throughout the week but nothing changed. They kept painting. We were not the only ones who were affected by this. I ended up with a very sore throat, headaches and sinus problems. 2) One day the a/c was not working. This was repaired in a few hours. 3) This room is under a dining area. At night the cleaners banged around waking us up. Again we complained. It was better the next night, but continued some throughout the week, interrupting our sleep. This department gets a grade zero in their customer service. I'm reluctant to book with Norwegian Cruises again because of this issue.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Boston
    We did our own tour of Boston and had been there before. Boston is worth seeing if you haven't been there. We did the Freedom Trail a few years ago and it's fantastic. And the restaurants and bars are awesome.
    View All 638 Boston Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Boston Cruise Port Review
  • Island Tour
    An all day overview of the entire island. This is good if you've never been here before. But honestly, there isn't much to do on this island other than beaches and the caves. St. George is the best place to wander around. Next time we will do the caves and hangout in St. George.
    View All 105 Island Tour Reviews
  • Royal Naval Dockyard
    The Royal Naval Dockyard tour was a rip off. We were hoping to get a better historical tour including history of the war of 1812, but this war was not discussed. Also, they only drove us around the dockyard where we could walk ourselves. Definitely not worth the money. I can get better history online.
    View All 36 Royal Naval Dockyard Reviews