3. Carnival Sunrise
First, some personal background. I am a 63 year old widower cruising with my 34 year old son. This was my 6th cruise with Carnival to go with 2 on Royal Caribbean, 1 on Princess, and 1 on Norweigian. This was his 4th with Carnival to go with 2 on Royal Caribbean and 1 on Princess.We try to go on a cruise together once a year as he lives in another state and we only see each other a few times a year. Here is my review: The Sunrise is the new name for the refurbished Triumph (which I sailed on in 2007). There were only a few things I noticed different from the Triumph, a main difference was a very poorly designed Marketplace Grand Buffet. The design created very long and slow lines, a problem that I spoke to an officer about several days into the cruise (he informed me that Carnival was aware of the problem and was looking at their options). Otherwise, the other food venues and the main dining room were quite good, with many options and delicious food.. There were a couple of problems with the layout of some of the public areas. Some of the "routes" through the ship were confusing, requiring some roundabout travels to get to some of the public places.Nothing that would constitute a crisis, but annoying anyway. The entertainment aboard ship was terrific. Oh sure, it had the usual Carnival stuff like trivia, bingo, multiple comedians, stage productions, etc., but it had an absolutely AMAZING cruise director, Chris Williams AKA The Flying Scotsman (and yes he wears a kilt all day every day). This man may very well be the BEST cruise director on any ship today. He is an electric bundle of energy and talent and it is obvious he loves his job.He keeps the crowd rocking every day, leads parties and activities, lingers and interacts with the passengers all day long. He sings, dances,and even has his own show 1 night in the big showroom.(sometimes I wondered if there was more than 1 of him on the ship as he seems to be everywhere at once). You can see some of him on his Facebook site. I have nothing but great things to say about the ENTIRE crew, staff, entertainment people, etc. on this cruise. Without exception, they were all terrific. A special call out to our room steward Javier, waitstaff Ferdinand/Dennis/Landomar, and bartender Neenee for their wonderful and attentive efforts to make us happy...they were nothing less than perfect. Now to the ports and excursions: San Juan: Just walked the Old City area, we had been there the year before and did the same thing. Shops, restaurants, nothing noteworthy. Tortola: We went on a Jost Van Dyke beach excursion consisting of a 20 minute boat ride from the port to a very beautiful and picturesque beach for a couple of hours of swimming, sunning, etc. that included a light lunch (burger or hot dog, bag of chips, and a beer/soda/or water). Very enjoyable, highly recommend. St. Maarten: We went on a "Beach Break With Lunch" excursion. A 45 minute bus ride to a pleasant enough beach for a couple of hours sunning and swimming and watching small lizards scamper across the sand. Lunch consisted of fish, chicken, or bbq ribs with rice, and included unlimited fruit or rum punch during the entire stay at the beach. Also a nice excursion. St. Thomas: We went on the "Kon Tiki" beach excursion which consisted of a 30 minute boat ride (with a live steel band) to another beautiful beach and also unlimited fruit or rum punch.(no lunch though). This boat also stops over a reef for a few minutes and opens up to multiple glass bottom sections of the deck to observe the reef life (some fish, nothing shocking). What makes this excursion unique is that on the return trip, it becomes sorta a party boat - dancing and a limbo contest to go along with the steel band and punch.Highly recommend. Grand Turk: We took a 15 minute walk down the beach from the port to " Jack's Shack", a family owned bar with a limited food menu and enjoyed the ambiance of the non-cruise environment. (even some of the cruise staff go here to avoid the hustle and bustle of the overcrowded port).(note: $10 gets an umbrella and 2 lounge chairs) There even are a couple of friendly pooches that are part of "the family" that roam and interact with the visitors. (Jack's Shack has a website if you want to look at it). Summary: a great staff and crew led by an amazing cruise director made this trip a rousing success, with only a flawed buffet set up and some weird routes required to navigate the ship keeping me from giving it 5 stars.

AMAZING cruise director worth a star all by himself!

Carnival Sunrise Cruise Review by baldielox

Here is my review:

Now to the ports and excursions:

baldielox’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Sunrise price drops

Interior
Cabin 4A 1427
Basic inside cabin. Mechanical stuff worked.Fulfilled our needs.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins