3. Crown Princess
We went on this cruise with my cousins who had already booked. My father is from Scotland so I was looking forward to setting foot in the homeland so to say. Embarkation went well but the tour to Windsor Castle as part of our Disembarkation was far too rushed for the time that was allowed. Did not even get to see the village of Windsor or eat lunch as promised. Made it a very over priced transfer to the airport. Most of us in the group were not happy. The guide apologized but Princess knew well ahead of time that all tour groups into the Castle have to go through a special admission gate and the line up for this was 6 - 8 blocks long. We waited over 1 1/2 hours just to get to the security checkpoint. That left us with about 45 minutes to see what we could. None of this was spoken about when we booked the tour or as we travelled to the Castle. Princess notified us that due to a royal function some parts of the castle would not be open as advertised. Why would you even offer such a tour before hand? The cruise line would have known that it was Royal Ascot race time and the royal family would be in residence so part of the castle would not be available. We, as pre booked tour passengers, were not notified about this until 4 days before the tour. With the internet not working we had no choice but to take the tour to get to the airport. In retrospect, we should have cancelled and taken the direct connection or made them pay for a phone call to another taxi service for transport. Good thing was we at least got to see some of the castle, St. Georges Chapel and sample the wonderful ice cream they sell there. We didn't go on a tour to Versailles from Le Havre because of the length of the tour, (8 - 10 hours) but this is another situation that Princess knows about but does not communicate very well. For the most part France closes on Monday. We were in port Monday and even the town of Le Havre had very little open. Our research ahead of time showed that Versailles, which I would truly love to visit again, is always closed on Monday. I wonder when those who booked this tour found that out? Another disappointment was not being able to see Guernsey Island. The seas were so rough they didn't even take on the pilot to try to go ashore. It was the right move by the Captain as this is a tender port, however we learned after that this cruise itinerary is rarely able to dock here. Over half of the time the weather or seas are so bad they cannot tender passengers to shore. Why do they continue to make this a stop?? Very rough seas and high winds on this day at sea also meant that we got bounced around a bit. Depending on which way you were going you had to walk up or down hill as the ship was listing so badly. Next problem once they got the ballast water shuffled around so we were more upright we were told that the front thrusters had been damaged. The next day it was a diesel generator, then it was an electrical problem where the elevators stopped for a bit, kind of a domino effect of once one thing was close to being corrected something else went wrong. Yes they did give each of us $100 on our accounts to try to cover our concerns and disappointment so I guess that is a plus for them. Then there was the internet. This is not a reasonably priced or reliable function on this ship from other reviews I have read. We did purchase the 1 hour package before we sailed and were trying to be very careful how we used it. Very frustrated when something that would normally take less than 1 minute at home took over 15 minutes on the ship to download. When we checked with the IT guy downstairs he let slip something about damage due to a fire then corrected himself very quickly and referred back to the mechanical problems with the thrusters and such. After one more try to use the service we finally asked for a refund and the IT tech quickly credited our account. My cousin and I both having English and Scottish ancestry wanted to try the afternoon English tea on board. My recommendation is don't bother, wait until you go ashore on your own and find a nice bakery in town and enjoy a tea and scone there. On the ship, everything was rushed. The pastry server came around before we even had time to select our tea and didn't come back. They have a tray and you pick the item(s) you think you want, serve it and then run away to someone else. The same with the sandwiches, which for us came after the pastries. The scones we were served were dry and crumbly even with cream and jam added. Neither my cousin or I enjoyed the experience. The ship is still in the throws of reconstruction. This Medallion Class stuff was being installed as we were sailing. From other reviews it has been this way for a long time. Several of the public areas were boarded off with lots of hammering and sawing noises going on. When you pay lots of money not just for your trip but for just about everything else while on board you don't expect to have to avoid power cables and construction sites. (My husband thought he heard that it even cost to vote during the contest for the Voice of the Ocean competition finale. Don't know if this is true though as we were only outside of the theatre reading when this was going on). They probably would have been able to accomplish so much more by letting the ship stay in port or dry dock for a week, do the upgrades then set off all shinny and new. I always try to look for positives and I have mentioned a couple here. Another one was how the Captain handled the multiple problems that occurred. He tried very hard to keep everyone informed and made sure passenger and crew safety came first. Others we spoke to felt the same way. He was trying to make things better. I think all these mechanical problems indicate that Princess needs to look at getting this ship refurbished properly and not on the fly. I did get to set foot in Scotland though so that goal for this trip was accomplished. I doubt either one of us in our group will make Princess our first choice for our next cruise.

A little disappointed

Crown Princess Cruise Review by Croozr2

Croozr2’s Full Rating Summary
Get Crown Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BA R631
The rooms of course are small like most cruise ships. For comfort sake it would have been nice to have more then one chair in a room that is set up for 2 people. We usually like to have room service at least one day but there is no way you could eat comfortably in the room. The bathroom sink tap leaked the entire time even though we asked to have it fixed. When one of the lights in the bath went out they fixed it immediately. The shower is tiny even for someone of average build. The steward as usual was wonderful. Very pleasant young man who made sure our room was maintained.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Belfast
    Another city on our own other than the shuttle we had to purchase from the cruise ship. Make sure you go to the city hall for their free tour, an amazing and unique facility. We walked quite a distance to see the Cathedral there and were treated to a brief free tour by one of the church members. I don't think he was supposed to do it but I am glad he did. They also boast the largest Irish Cross on the outside of the building. Very impressive.
    View All 181 Belfast Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Belfast Cruise Port Review
  • Cobh (Cork)
    We did the village of Cobh on our own and enjoyed it immensely. Lovely place to nose around. The Cathedral is worth the climb up the steep hill and the Irish coffee is wonderful.
    View All 343 Cobh (Cork) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cobh (Cork) Cruise Port Review
  • Dublin
    Again we did our own thing. Had to pay for the shuttle from the dock to the centre of town but then enjoyed our walk to Dublin Castle and back. Rained for part of our time in port but we made sure we had our umbrellas. Wish hadn't rushed so much because of the rain and waited for it to stop so we could have had a meal in one of the pubs.
    View All 283 Dublin Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Dublin Cruise Port Review
  • Edinburgh (South Queensferry)
    As with all the other Princess tours this was rushed. Seeing the Brittania was a true experience and inside look at royal life. Wish we had more time to listen to all of the commentary on the audio devises we had. We wanted to go to the tea room on the ship so rushed a little to get there. Still not enough time to savour and enjoy a wonderful cup of tea and scone. They know how to do it there. Also in their little tuck shop on one of the lower levels make sure to try and buy some of the fudge they make there. Wish I could get that recipe. It was incredible!! I would have give the tour a much higher rating if it hadn't been so rushed.
    View All 12,794 Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Cruise Port Review
  • Greenock (Glasgow)
    Make sure you do the FREE tours offered by the locals in the welcome centre at the dock. We were able to fit 2 of them in and they are very well done. The guides are very friendly and love their city. We toured a castle on one tour and visited the city hall on the other. So easy to make a generous donation to this group for the tours as they are so well done.
    View All 222 Greenock (Glasgow) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Greenock (Glasgow) Cruise Port Review
  • Invergordon (Inverness)
    Stay in the village of Invergordon and tour it yourself. A very easily walked little place. Make sure you find the tea room that is marked on the ship map. Apparently the ships used to dock closer and they were always busy. Now they dock a little farther away so not quite so many visitors. The scones are EXCELLANT! So worth the walk. Their museum is also very interesting and worth the walk.
    View All 101 Invergordon (Inverness) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Invergordon (Inverness) Cruise Port Review
  • Le Havre
    For anyone that doesn't know, France pretty much closes on Mondays and that was the day we docked there. Many of the stores were closed but we were able to find a bakery that was open and bought two of the croissants. Oh they were good. My mouth is still watering. Make a point of seeing both the new and old Cathedrals. The architecture is so unique and different. The are revitalizing the waterfront so lots of lovely things to look at. We could have paid $20 US per person here to get a shuttle to the downtown and maybe we should have as the day here was much warmer and very sunny as compared to our other stops. The walk did us good though. Warning there are not a lot of public washrooms available.
    View All 319 Le Havre Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Le Havre Cruise Port Review
  • Beatles Tour
    The tour guide was very knowledgeable about the Beatles, a true fan. It rained again so our walk outside of the Cavern was cut short. Very glad we got to see the Cavern, a truly unique place.
    View All 29 Beatles Tour Reviews
  • Southampton
    Our disembarkation tour was not good. As with all their other tours it was rushed. The promised time to see the castle as well as the village and enjoy time for lunch did not happen. After an hour and a half line up to get into the castle we only had 45 minutes for a quick run through and then back to the bus. Make sure you get ice cream at the little truck at the middle ward shop. It was sooooo good. Someone in our group had to be at the airport shortly after noon so that didn't leave much time for the rest of us. We did however have lots and lots of time sitting at the airport.
    View All 969 Southampton Cruise Port Reviews