3. Celebrity Solstice
I have been on several cruise lines and this was my first Celebrity cruise. I was told by many people that this would be the best cruise I have taken so far and that Celebrity is the best cruise line. Maybe I was expecting too much but I didn't feel that it lived up to its reputation. There was really nothing special about it compared to other cruise lines - in fact there were a few areas that were lacking: Facilities - little to no public trash cans in common areas, veranda railings varnish are worn and flaking. Other areas were always clean and well maintained. Information - daily schedule not posted in any public locations, temp on TV always displayed 140F/60C, Celebrity App doesn't include the Solstice even though the entertainment director said it was, daily schedule listed Monday for three different days. The muster drill was the worst I have ever experienced. We were group C1 and we were stuffed standing in a packed hot lounge only to be shown a childish video about washing our hands and then an uninformative theatrical video about the lifeboat and life jackets; this was not a good way to start a cruise. Technology - "high" speed Internet was not high speed - video streaming was not possible and general surfing and access was very slow - especially for the exorbitant price, TV in the room was unreliable - it kept turning off and on, channels offered were sometimes not displayed, TV turned on by itself between 4A and 5A two nights - we finally unplugged it, the music channels were not titled correctly unless Bach and Mozart are now considered "Classic Rock." Accommodations - our cabin was 7277, just above lifeboat 20. On Deck 5 below us there was a kitchen for one of the specialty/private dining rooms. The first few days of the cruise, the door to the kitchen was left open and pop music was being played which ruined the quiet and peaceful atmosphere of sitting in the on the balcony early in the morning and late at night. Sales - like most cruises, they are sponsored by Diamonds International etc. Celebrity was no different, it was like living on a one big sales pitch vessel. The first day we were constantly being hounded to buy drink packages. Following days were were being pitched specialty restaurants, overpriced photos, and drinks. Activities constantly included money making schemes for jewelry and art purchases. Activities and Entertainment - We purchased the ship tour and enjoyed it although the wireless earpieces we were given cut in and out a lot so we couldn't really hear much of the presentation. For the price, I expected a bit more organization. At the end, were were given a piece of rope as a "gift." The other entertainment was top notch! We greatly enjoyed all of the shows we attended and thought that the talent and production value was excellent.

Beautiful Scenery and Entertainment

kmvvtx’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C1 7277
Small but nice with plenty of storage. Very clean and well maintained.
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Mendenhall Glacier Rafting
    We went to the Mendenhall Glacier and the rain dampened this location. It was very crowded and a bit chaotic. After seeing Dawes glacier the day before, this was a bit of a let down. Once again though, it really was beautiful! We also visited the salmon hatchery and unless you are really in to stuff like that, it was a yawner. I would suggest doing a guided tour here with someone that can give you information about the area.
    View All 40 Mendenhall Glacier Rafting Reviews
  • Ketchikan
    We saw the Lumberjack Show and it was very good! We laughed a lot and enjoyed it. We went to the Totem Village and it was very interesting but mostly just beautiful! We walked around town and bought the obligatory touristy items.
    View All 1,759 Ketchikan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ketchikan Cruise Port Review
  • White Pass Scenic Railway
    We attempted to take the White Pass & Yukon Route Railway. We made it halfway and our train had mechanical issues and had to stop and we backed down the mountain. They gave us a full refund and a ball cap and DVD and they were very apologetic. The town was very small and quaint and everyone was friendly. Once again, it was beautiful!
    View All 1,085 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews
  • Victoria
    This was a great stop and I wish we had been there longer. We didn't have time to do much and get back to the ship in time to get our luggage set out for the next morning. It was clean, the people were friendly and it was just a nice place to visit.
    View All 1,282 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews