3. Scenic Ruby
We went to one of their presentations here in Victoria and what they said sounded really good. Both my husband and I wanted to experience a five star experience on a smaller cruise ship going down the rivers from Amsterdam to Budapest. The food was mediocre!! We sent a steak back to the kitchen, it was cold inside and slightly charred on the outside with a frozen glob of butter on top. If the steak was hot the butter would have melted. Also I have a mushroom allergy, of which they were informed of and they didn't always remember to inform me of the menu for the lunch and dinner. I found out by chance on one occasion that mushrooms were in the dinner menu because I was in the entertainment room when the chef announced what he was cooking that evening and that mushrooms were in the food that evening. I was very upset that I was not informed and could have had a very bad reaction and hospitalized had I injected the uninformed ingredients. For the money put out, honestly we would have been better off with a cheaper carrier where the company doesn't portray itself as five star but gives you this kind of service. Also the entertainment was a joke, truly, a joke. First of all there was little of it and our evening entertainment was someone that as long as he didn't sing we could listen to the music, which was not that impressive. The few days that entertainment was brought on the ship only two were good the rest was not acceptable in the least. The daily excursions were excellent, the tour guides, buses, sites, amazing. You have to remember that was off the ship. The scenery was really great. The Captain was very good at his job as was Darinka, our tour director, made sure we were aware of the daily schedule and was herself very entertaining. The crew in general were excellent and wanting to please at every moment. In summary, we have had a much better experience with a standard (or even economy) cruise line. Scenic was not good value for the money.

Not Five Star

Scenic Ruby Cruise Review by yeshiyang

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Europe

The crew in general were excellent and wanting to please at every moment.

yeshiyang’s Full Rating Summary
Get Scenic Ruby price drops

The cabin was compact but nice. It would have helped to have had a proper table to eat our food, especially once we got a cold, which everyone on the ship seemed to have. The windows were very well positioned. Bathroom was well equipped and the shower was very good and big enough to maneuver in. The bed was comfortable, pillows were ok, not the best for a five star room.