• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

2-5 Cruises • Age 40s

Sail Date: Jun 2019
Cabin: Balcony
Traveled with children

This is my 5th cruise on NCL and have been every happy with the last 4. The Epic disappointed in nearly every way. 1st let's start with the things the line can no longer change like the layout of the cabins and the deck plans. The bathroom situation in the cabins is beyond uncomfortable. There is no bathroom door just a curtain. When traveling with just a couple this might not be such an issue but when you have 3 in the room it's not cool plus we were with our extended family and if anyone came to our cabin while someone was using either part of he restroom you couldn't answer the door. The deck plans leave no where to walk outside on the ship other than the top decks and tou cannot walk all the way around the ship anywhere. There are no chairs for lounging outside other than the loud pool decks. On other NCL ships you can find them on other outside lower decks for a more relaxed time. I did however like the color coded elevators, that was helpful navigation for some of our older group. The stewards service was just not up to par, friendly yes but not around as much as on other ships. The coffee pot was never cleaned out from the previous guests, or the ones before that who knows. We didn't even get animal towels every night. It took 2 plus hours to eat every single night. The table on our balcony had peeling paint on nearly the entire surface and legs. The buffet closed early than normal as well. It was still light outside and he only place open to eat was O 'sheans. We boarded in Rome, while I believe that is a better itinerary it messed us over several times. They don't tell you how often you will be told "Sorry, you got on in Rome its full" or "Sorry you got on in Rome you will have to come back. Sorry you got on in Rome we are only exchanging eros for those getting off in Barcelona. Sorry you pictures from the photographer are gone, you got on in Rome". However the guy in the photo shop did spend 2 hrs searching for them. Just how I wanted to spend my last night on he ship waiting 2 extra hours for simple pictures. Oh sorry, you got on in Rome, you have to wait in line yet again to get your shore excursion credit for your Latitude rewards percentage off." I even called to ask the front desk when to do that, they didn't bother to tell me not to wait in line if I got on in Rome. "Sorry the internet isn't currently available fue to disembarking in Barcelona " The carpet on all three main floors is in desperate need of stretching or replacing and in the 2 main dining rooms as well. We were late to port and some excursions were changed and one was pretty drastic. If you didn't take the replacement they offered it was too late to pic something new so those people were just out of luck. I spoke to over 20 other families that have cruised with NCL before and have never been disappointed until Epic either! There was no comedy show but Howl at the moon was excellent the entire group 18 to 64 loved it. The balcony was larger than on other ships which is always a plus. We were also told the professional photographers would be out until 10 PM every night. Our whole group got all dressed up for 8pm photos just to find out someone told us yet again, oh it's the last night for Barcelona people to buy pics they were only out tonight until 8. The wine bottles they took from us had tape placed on the boxes and some of them RIP ruining the box. One guy picking his up in front of me had tape right over his label!

Balcony

Cabin BE

You cannot separate the beds in the balcony rooms, the curved couch was difficult to navigate around and sleep on for the 3rd person. The bathroom situation is just not what I was comfortable with having no bathroom door just a curtain. The plug ins are old and loose and need replacement to hold the plugs in the wall. The lighting is ridiculously dim in all the cabins we had. One of our groups safe was sprung and had no safe the entire trip. They didn't fix or offer any help with that when they called . Cabin 11042 Beds in the balcony room were so hard we had to ask for egg crates. The ones in the interior rooms were much better

Port Reviews

Cannes

We walked up to the castle and shopped a while. We then went to the beach right at the end of the pier. It's a clean nice beach fun and easy way to swim in the French Riviera.

Palma de Mallorca (Majorca)

We took cabs to the beach about 15 euros each cab

It was a beautiful beach with lots of food and shopping right on the street lining the beach

Barcelona

Make sure if you get split up going to the gondolas you know there are different companies and they do not connect

Rome (Civitavecchia)