3. Crown Princess
We chose this cruise for 2 reasons: First because we had cruised with Princess in the past band were very satisfied with that experience, Second because of the itinerary. We were looking for a British Isles cruise and the fact that this itinerary included Guernsey(for me!) and LeHavre, France( Normandy D Day Beaches for my husband) had us sold. We started our cruise with an overnight in London, booked through Princess. We were not aware the transfer from Heathrow to the hotel was over an hour. This hotel was quite a bit away from major tourist sites in London, making it difficult to see much in 1 day. Also our hotel room was not much larger than a walk-in closet!! The transfer from the hotel to Southampton port was smooth and so was checking in to board the cruise. So we began our cruise, excited to see our destinations and begin our excursions!! Well our first stop was Guernsey and my husband had been checking the weather and saw it was not looking good(100% chance of rain, very windy) but the ship was heading there so we figured it would be okay( we brought rain gear!). Early the morning of our arrival to Guernsey , the captain announces it is not safe as we need to tender into port and the water was too rough. Of course I was disappointed but what can you do, But what happened is we cruised straight into a storm and hit very rough waters. I don't understand why the ship did not just avoid trying to go to Guernsey as I'm sure the captain has more advance access to the weather than my husband. So we weathered the storm and made it our next port of Cobh. What happened next is the ship had electrical problems and needed extra time in Cobh to have this fixed.(Was this due to cruising through the storm, I sure think so!!) This led to the ship not being able to arrive in Dublin until 4pm( had to wait for the tides to be at certain height). We were told we would stay in Dublin until 2 am (again due to the tide level). Being that this was on a Sunday most of the major tourist sites closed at 5 pm. We had booked a historical walking tour midmorning which could not be changed, As disappointing as that was, the bigger issue was 3000 passengers trying to disembark the ship at the same time. It was quite chaotic and there were no crew available to assist and take control. People were cutting in line which caused yelling(did witness) and fighting( did not witness but heard of). So our first 2 ports of call were basically lost. We then arrived at our next stop in Liverpool slightly behind scheduled time, There was poor communication from the ship to when we would arrive and we had to go to the main desk to ask. Our excursion to Wales(just beautiful!) was shortened by a little but at least we started to experience the true beauty of the UK! From then on we were back on schedule and enjoyed all our excursions. On board the Crown Princess was somewhat disappointing . As I said earlier we have cruised on Princess in the past. I felt service was slow and there was limited interaction with staff. I felt the staff were working hard but that they were short staffed. We were also disappointed with on board enrichment lectures. They were held in a lounge where bartenders were making frozen drinks( blenders are loud!) and other passengers were talking,and playing cards. It made it very difficult to hear the speakers.Other cruises the talks were held in a more private area. The casino which allowed smoking ,did not close any doors so smoke could be smelled throughout the atrium. Overall the ship was tired looking and could use some refreshing. Saying all this, my husband and I did enjoy ourselves and thankful to be able to see and experience new places in this world.

Rough start, disappointing service, great itinerary

Crown Princess Cruise Review by Lcarr13

Lcarr13’s Full Rating Summary
Get Crown Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BF R 239
Average cabin, limited access to electrical outlets though!
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins