3. Norwegian Sky
So we definitely did not choose a cruise to the Bahamas but our Cuba cruise was canceled 14 days out. The two other couples we had planned to go with canceled but it just didn’t leave my wife and I enough time to change all of our plans. First time to Miami and it’s a beautiful city by the beach and downtown. We arrived a day early and really enjoyed our time there. The local people operate on a totally different wave length and it doesn’t really feel like you’re in the States. The locals also tend to be very off putting and generally unfriendly but they had little do with the Miami that I experienced while I was there so it was not much of an impact. The terminal at Miami ran very smooth and it was the fastest I have ever gotten onto a ship. The terminal staff definitely weren’t as excited about my vacation as I was but they did a great job getting us through the line. Once on the Norwegian Sky we where met with little to no fan fare to the point it seemed like the ship felt quite and docile. The Sky is only a few months out from its refurbishment and the common areas look good. The design of the ship is old and has a choppy flow but the updates help and very little floral patterns are left. I think it has plenty of bars but the main dance club is also one of the main passage ways to get across the ship so it’s kind of an awkward place to hangout at in the evenings. Aside from the lone comedian who was great the rest of the entertainment staff was horrible. I really can’t believe these guys get paid for what they did. We walked into the bliss lounge on our way across the ship and heard someone trying to sing what we thought was karaoke. Nope. That was one of the paid entertainers and it was absolutely heinous. The group that performed the nightly shows in the main theater were so mediocre it was uncomfortable. The choreography looked like it was a parity and the ones that sang were so far off pitch it was like they were singing different songs. The crew overall did a great job and I never had to wait very long for anything or felt like I was being ignored. They didn’t have much enthusiasm and no one wowed me or even attempted to go above and beyond. The food was by far the poorest quality I have ever had on a cruise including the specialty dinning. We went to La Bistro and it wasn’t any better than an average chain restaurant in the US. The main buffet served the same thing everyday for breakfast and lunch. Because of forces outside of anyone’s control we had to go to three stops in the Bahamas in lieu of Cuba. Surprisingly NCL’s private island Great Stirup Cay was the best stop. It’s just an extension of the cruise ship so food and beverage are provided on the island. It’s a little hot without a breeze but the beaches and water are beautiful. The two other stops, Freeport and Nassau, are just not worth it. Freeport is a major shipping hub and has little to offer tourist other than beaches cover with drift wood. In Nassau, outside of the tourist enclave of the Atlantis Resort and the million dollar homes of the west side of the island they're just a couple of burning tires away from looking like Mogadishu during the Somali Civil War. Nassau has lots of stuff to do, none of it worth the time or money. Getting off the ship was somehow easier then getting on. From the time we stepped into the terminal I don’t think it was 90 seconds until we where outside getting onto the bus transfer to the airport. No customs, no security, I don’t think a single employee acknowledged us until we got outside to the bus driver - he was cool. So to summarize I would highly dissuade someone from taking a cruise to the Bahamas on the Norwegian Sky. The ship is sub par compared to comparable ships even on Carnival and the Bahamas are forgettable at best. Without the calamity with Cuba I would’ve never chosen a cruise to the Bahamas.

NCL Sky 4 day Bahamas Aft Balcony

aug152008’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sky price drops

Aft-Facing Balcony
Cabin B1 0067
The aft facing balcony room number 0067 is directly in the middle of the ship on the 10th deck. The location of the room is the best and worst thing about this cabin.

The Good- it’s on the 10th deck aft so you’re are 30 seconds from the main buffet hall and three bars. That’s the only purely good things I can say about this room.

The Neutral- the room is good enough. It’s not big by any means but it didn’t feel small to me for two people - As long as you like each other. The bathroom, shower, and closet are all adequate. They do just enough not to be good or bad.

The Bad- the bad with this room are enough I would never recommend it to anyone. With this being on the 10th deck you are directly below the outdoor dining hall on the 11th deck. This place serves food almost 24’s a day so there are always people up there. This affects you in two big ways. The moving of people and chairs is constant and loud. We take a sound machine everywhere we go and it really helped out at night. The other issue is the balcony swoops back as it goes up to the next deck. What this means is anyone that stands on the deck above the aft balcony can see about 60% of the balcony below. Also, if you stand on your balcony at the railing and look to the side you can almost see into the Next room and you pretty much have 100% of the neighboring balconies in your peripheral. And with people constantly standing at the railing on deck 11 there is no privacy. With the balcony not having a roof we would wake up with the whole thing covered in ashes (I assume from them burning trash) and cigarette buds and gum tossed down by the drunks on deck 11 during the night.
Norway Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins