3. Norwegian Sun
Let me preface this review by stating that we have taken many cruises, on Princess as well as Carnival and have never had an unpleasant experience, until now, on Norwegian. When we choose to spend our hard-earned money on a cruise vacation, that price includes not only the monetary cost of the trip, but the use of valuable vacation days as well as the travel costs incurred to arrive at the cruise terminal. We could have gone anywhere, but we chose Norwegian’s 5 day trip to Cuba and Great Stirrup Cay. I am going to start with the worst of it. Let’s visit this premium alcohol package that was included in the cost of our cruise. Night #1, we are pleased to see some good wines on the list, available by the bottle, so we order them. Night #2, we order these two wines again, but after taking our cruise card, our waiter returns to advise that Norwegian is now out of these two wines. Really? On night #2? After dinner we stop at our lobby bar, where, surprise, they happen to have these two wines, as they did at various other bars and eateries on the ship. It is seems apparent that Norwegian trains its staff to cut off the premium wines once a passenger has had a bottle or two. Unacceptable. We paid for premium wines and were denied the items we paid for. Additionally when we requested a substitute, the waiters refused to provide anything comparable. The second issue we encountered occurred at Norwegian’s Great Stirrup Cay, where we had reserved cabanas, as we had elderly relatives in our group. The island/cabana area is infested with biting insects, in our case, no-see-ums, which immediately ravaged every person in the cabanas. This would have been 100% preventable if you had 1. been honest that there is a problem and warned your passengers about it, and 2. Stock cabanas with insect repellent. At no time was an insect problem ever mentioned. At no time was is suggested that we bring insect repellent to the island. Please see the attached photos of the aftermath of sitting in your cabana for approximately four hours. The current state of my literally hundreds of bite scars (one month later) is that they are dark purple and not fading anytime soon. What you need to know is that I run a Tanning and Skin Care business which requires me to be at the Colorado River, in a bathing suit, where I market and sell my products. Due to this horrific scarring on my legs and arms, I am completely unable to wear a bathing suit and promote my brand. This is no laughing matter, as I am losing money on a daily basis as a direct result of Norwegian's neglecting to address a very serious matter. Aesthetics aside, biting insects transmit diseases and due to the severe infection that resulted from these bites, I have scheduled a doctor appointment to have them analyzed for contagious disease as well as permanent damage to my skin. At this point I am formally requesting that Norwegian reimburse me for the premium alcohol package that I was denied, as well as damages for the physical harm I was exposed to resulting in permanent, disfiguring scars, the severity of yet to be determined once an official prognosis is reached. UPDATE 6/20/19 - Norwegian has thus far declined to address my concerns, rather, thanking me for the feedback. I have since obtained a dermatologists report indicating that the scarring my be permanent due to my skin type. Initially I didn't even mention the food, some of which was good, but again, not even comparable to other cruises I've been on (Princess). On our last night we'd reserved dinner in the Italian restaurant. A full hour after sitting down, our party of 14 still did not even have the cocktails we ordered. Other diners had come in, been served and left before we received our appetizers. We sat another 1.5 hours before finally requesting a manager and telling the staff to forget the courses, just bring everything, as we had to get up very early to disembark the ship. Most of us did not ever receive the apps/salad/soups that we'd originally ordered. I really don't anticipate getting any sort of compensation from Norwegian, however, I do intend to warn every one I can about their sub par ship, food and customer service. You have many choices when it comes to cruise lines - I strongly recommend NOT choosing Norwegian.

Horrible Experience

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by iancin

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Cuba
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Picture Window

I am going to start with the worst of it.

At no time was an insect problem ever mentioned.

At no time was is suggested that we bring insect repellent to the island.

iancin’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Oceanview Picture Window
Cabin OD 5206
The room was not bad, it was clean, but it was definitely not up to par with other cruise lines. The hair dryer was comical. I'm not sure what year it was from but I would guess 1940s. See photo!
Oslo Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins