3. Norwegian Epic
This was our first cruise. I have a variety of opinions depending on the subject. Balcony stateroom was adequate but small. Bathroom is all but non-existent. The food was fair at best. It is clearly basic and high volume preparation without much consideration given to flavor and/or care towards cook temperatures as requested even in the specialty restaurants. Steaks had to be sent back raw on 2 consecutive nights. Food is clearly cooked for the masses and probably all comes out of the same kitchen based on the similar menus and tastes. The ship sponsored excursions were good, but pricey. My main reason for being on the ship was the variety of sightseeing without having to pack and travel constantly. The chosen ports were good. The amount of activity was understated on a few trips (e.g., in Rome we walked 5 miles (as measured on my fitbit) in 88 degree weather. One woman in our group passed out. Ok for my wife and I, but some with mobility issues struggled. This activity level of this excursion was rated as 'level 2' on a scale of 1-3)). The entertainment was good, but not something I would rave about either. The spa was very good, but I mostly enjoyed that because of the full sized showers and bathroom (I'm 6'3"). I paid an extra $150 to have a decent bathroom (was it worth it? Yeah!). The pool bar was often overcrowded and understaffed (and the staff griped about being too few). A few times I just gave up trying to get a drink. I noticed a few areas of the ship that looked 'tired', but I'm sure it's difficult to keep up with the oxidation on the ocean. Our cabin rug definitely needed replacing. The pools were clean but very small and crowded. Overall, I understand the experience NCL is trying to provide and they tried their best. If I were to cruise again, it would be on a smaller, less crowded ship with an itinerary that allowed for more time in port. I would want a more upscale experience in dining and size of my cabin. I would probably opt for non-ship sponsored excursions (to avoid the herds of people). I don't mind paying a lot for something of high quality. Overall, they miss the mark a bit on value. It's somewhat of a Disney on the sea.

First cruise - Meh

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by ABitDisappointed

ABitDisappointed’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Balcony
Cabin BE 9283
Very small. Rug needs replacing. Don't expect luxury.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Nice Walking Tour
    The tour that we took was called Nice and little train. I'm 6'3 and my knees didn't fit in the 'little train' which was nothing more than something you might find in amusement park with the added pleasure of bus exhaust blowing in your face. Fortunately?, there was gridlock in the city due to some official event and we had to abandon the train and the tour guide took us on a a walking tour. Fine for me, but those with canes or walking trouble did not anticipate this and they were in trouble. Weather was fine but very windy and a flying umbrella injured someone in our group.
    View All 21 Nice Walking Tour Reviews
  • Florence (Livorno)
    We stayed on board after Pompeii mountain climbing and the Rome Marathon. Florence is not close to the port so decided not to spend hours on the bus.
    View All 1,088 Florence (Livorno) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Florence (Livorno) Cruise Port Review
  • Pompeii Walking Tour
    Tour guide moved quickly and lost parts of the group more than once. Streets are difficult to navigate. Level 3 in terms of activity. People with canes or disabilities gave up mid-tour. I was fine, but this tour is not for those that not completely mobile and fit.
    View All 465 Pompeii Walking Tour Reviews
  • St. Peter's Basilica
    Tour was known as Rome Highlights which included the Vatican and all the sights checked above. 5 mile walking tour in 88 degree heat. One person in our group passed out. It was an informative tour, but too much in a short time. Beware as this tour is rated level 2, but really should be a level 3. The tour guide was good, but she never stopped moving. I'm the one guy in cruising history that LOST weight on a cruise! Couldn't wait to hit the pool and jacuzzi!
    View All 125 St. Peter's Basilica Reviews