Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review
2,976 Reviews

The Dawn was a horrible ship that is truly dated

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by SmurfySmurfette

• Sail Date: Jun 2019
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

I truly don’t know how to adequately express how disappointed we are in our first cruise with Norwegian and first cruise ever. I have always heard that this is the elite of the cruise lines and this is who we should take our first cruise with. We had 3 rooms for this cruise and spent over 16,000 for rooms, 5,000 for airfare, and spent 4,000 on the ship in extras. We saved up for this trip and had such high hopes but were quickly disappointed. We all had rooms 11116, 11126, & 11128.

We were on the 11th floor on the Dawn, which is directly located under the Garden Grille which does not have carpeted floors ( I would truly like to know who thought this was ok) and we heard chairs scooting around from 5:00 am (which we assume the crew started getting ready for the day) till 1:00 am at night. We never had more than 4 hours sleep due to this excessive noise. We heard kids running back and forth all day as well. In room 11128 there was a constant pipe noise coming from the ceiling as well, that the party in this room did not get any sleep.

Also, when we booked our cruise the reservation agent told us we could take the divider out from the rooms 11126 & 11128 to have one big balcony, which turned out to not be true at all. We upgraded our rooms because of this misinformation. This was a complete lie and we were misled.

We spent 2,000 on spa services and a spa pass. The spa had very dirty windows you could not see through and we feel we didn’t even remotely get our value for what we paid. ( I am attaching pictures of this).

We did not get our full value for port day #5 in Newport, RI. We only had two tender boats and we did not get to land until 1:30 and had to be back by 3:00 and the lines were ridiculous to get back and forth. We were supposed to have 10:00-4:00. I must say this was the most unorganized cruise. I also heard this from several other passengers, as I had nothing to compare it to.

Then the kicker is, we bought 8 Next Cruise Deposits for a total of 2,000 because we thought hey, we will give them another shot maybe this ship is just old and a fluke. We booked on ship for our next cruise and they said over and over we were getting upgraded to a balcony mini-suite but that did not happen at all. It was only a balcony. We asked at least 10 times and they said yes. I think that you really should have English speaking people that understand how things work, when it comes to Next Cruise onboard a ship because language and communication was a huge hurdle when buying and booking the next cruise.

The food was awful! My kids and parents had been on the Pearl and loved the food but there was no variety on this ship when compared to others, and no seafood which is really sad when you are going on a Canada/East/Atlantic cruise.

I am just so disappointed after saving up for so long and having an experience like this. I wish I could just dispute this charge with my credit card company because none of us got any sleep. It was not an enjoyable 7 days at all and honestly, I think we should be compensated quite a lot for this. This wasn’t just a bad night’s sleep in a hotel, we saved and spent thousands on a trip we got no sleep on and I just don’t feel that is right.

The singing acts were awful on this ship as well.I know there has to be better singers out there willing to work on a cruise ship.

Drinks were very watered down.

The selection of shore excursions was pitiful when compared to other companies.

SmurfySmurfette's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA 11128

Avoid at all costs. Do not book on the 11th floor, way too much noise from restaurant upstairs.

Bus Tour

Hop on Hop off Bus. First trip we had a great and knowledgeable guide. the second trip we had the most horrible and rude woman Geneve and got rerouted due to an accident and were late getting back to port.

Saint John (New Brunswick)

Loved they stopped by Moosehead Brewery and the Reversing Tides. Super great group here!

Bar Harbor

Loved everything about this cruise! Definitely recommend!

SmurfySmurfette