3. Carnival Magic
Departed out of Ft. Lauderdale which I LOVE. So much easier than Miami. We live in the area so we just drove down that morning. This was our 9th Carnival cruise (gold). With two kids (13 and 6) we go for the ocean suite and it makes priority embarkation/debarkation worth it. We bypassed all the long lines and we were on the ship in about 15 minutes. Our room was already ready by 12:30. The cabin itself was good (7277). To keep the lights on, you do need to keep a card in the slot upon entrance. I had no idea, until reading another post, that we could literally use ANY card to do this, including business cards! Ah well. Now you know! The room balcony is my favorite place on the ship. I read out there for hours. Keep in mind that on this floor (well, 6 and above), your balcony won't be directly above water. You will be looking at the edge of deck 5. Some rooms had a view of the hot tub on deck 5. I would have not enjoyed that at all, but our room just had lounge chairs and it was always quiet and didn't obstruct my view when sitting and looking out to sea. Bring a ship approved adapter so you can have more outlets. I also bring a travel fan and digital alarm clock. The muster drill was much better! We just met in a specified room based on our muster station and heard the safety instructions. No standing in rows in the hot sun on the decks! I thought the ship was clean. There's always someone cleaning something. It never felt exceptionally crowded, except the first day on the lido when everyone's scrambling for lunches. After that, I never felt overwhelmed with people. We spent most of our time near the water slides which my kids absolutely loved. We mostly had breakfast in Northern Lights (sit down) which service was VERY slow, but we kept going because it was a nice way to start the day without the chaos and heat of a Lido breakfast., We ate lunch at Guys our the taco place (or deli) which is great. We did early dining. The first couple of nights in the dining room were awful. Either they didn't take our drink order, or they did and they never came. Felt completely ignored. We even wondered if they were short staffed. Slow service. I'm talking 30 minutes to get the dinner rolls! And that's if we got to pick them. Sometimes they just handed you whatever kind without even asking you which break type you wanted. I know, it's little stuff. But we were so annoyed that for the first time, we booked a specialty restaurant (the Italian place) for the third night just hoping to get better service. The service was great at the specialty restaurant, though the location is a bit odd. I think the basketball court is right above it so there was a lot of banging. Anyway, when we went back to the dining room the 4th night, service improved greatly and for the first time, everyone at the table got their drinks! Each night after that was perfect. The food itself is very good too. I gained 7 pounds! (Currently down 4 of those pounds tho!) We never used the kids club even though I sign them up every time! I actually thought the shows were pretty good! Especially compared to the last couple Carnival cruises we've been on. The director was great (British guy), the staff was great too! Having kids, our fav was the movies at night on the deck. You can get popcorn and rent a blanket. St. Maarten: we did the Golden Eagle Catamaran tour and loved it! Very organized. Smooth ride. First stop was snorkeling. Even my 6 year old loved it. Second stop was a beach. Beautiful waters. They served a lot of beer and rum punch. The punch was awesome! Of course a few passengers over indulged (there's always a few!) but luckily they were happy drunks and nothing got too crazy. Would def do that excursion again. St. Kitts: meh. To be fair, we didn't book an excursion because the only ones that interested us, the min age was older than 6. We just walked around the port and then tried to navigate the town a bit and it was just a little too much for us. The roads/drivers made me too nervous with my younger one. I didn't find it to be very friendly there, but if we were to ever go back, I'd def book an excursion because I am interested in the history of the island. San Juan: We've been here a few times but it was the first time for my youngest. We always visit the National Historic Site. We read everything and explored. We also walked around the city/shops. It's such a cool city! We've never done an excursion here though. Grand Turk: my husband's favorite. Honestly, we just enjoy the beach/Jimmy Buffets. Bring your water shoes and snorkel. We saw the most amazing fish just swimming on their beach. Rainbow parrot fish being our fav. We want to go back to Turks for a week just to snorkel! Overall it was a great vacation and we were lucky to have amazing weather! I would def go on this ship again.

Fun, family cruise!

Carnival Magic Cruise Review by kduckman

We never used the kids club even though I sign them up every time!

kduckman’s Full Rating Summary