3. Celebrity Summit
We live in CT and drove down the day before to stay at the HIE on Tonelle Ave in Jersey City. I would not recommend this hotel as it was difficult to locate and in a very industrial area. But in fairness, it was clean and our sleep quality was excellent. OVERALL We have not sailed Celebrity since 2000, although we have been on 17 cruises in total. This cruise did not live up to our fond memories of the Celebrity experience. Dining and the On board entertainment options were the low points for us. The Service saved our cruise. EMBARKATION was a breeze. No lines--no waiting. We left the hotel at 10:30 and we were in our cabin at 11:40. CABIN I used the Celebrity Move Up program and won an Aft Family Veranda, cabin 7201. We loved the extra space. We felt a lot of movement on one rainy sea day but otherwise, we were very comfortable. The cabin was spacious and quiet and our attendant, Marylou was excellent. DINING We choose Anytime dining and there was always a line so we asked to switch to the late seating and the initial request was bungled by one of the dining managers. We got that problem squared away and had an excellent waiter, Moe in the main dining room. Always smiling and happy and bringing us extra food--lol. However, the menu selections were disappointing and curry seemed to be the preferred spice in a number of dishes. We ate at the Tuscan Grille on the 1st and 5th nights for a reduced rate of $30 pp. For us, it was worth the up charge. We did not try Qsine. We had sashimi for lunch one day in Sushi on Five and enjoyed that experience. The Oceanview Buffet was as expected. The high points were the raisin bread at the bakery and the ice cream at Scoops. Also, fresh omelets for my husband. My husband absolutely hated the coffee in the Oceanview--weak and no real half and half. It was also hard to get half and half in the dining room--it seemed to be milk or watered down beyond recognition. Also the desserts at the buffet looked great but for the most part, tasted bland. They were better in the dining room. Butter seemed to be rationed in the main dining room. ENTERTAINMENT We enjoyed the group Horizon and the pianist, Linda Gentile. There was also a female singer who was pretty good but I don't remember her name. The production shows were amateurish in my opinion. We did not see the comedians. We were horrified by a male singer, Domenick in the theater and left during the first song. He claims to be associated with the band Foreigner in some way. Hard to believe. SERVICE The service was the saving grace for us.The employees seem happy which means that Celebrity must be doing something right! SHORE EXCURSIONS We only took one cruise excursion in Bermuda and it was fine. I will give Celebrity props for the tender service in Bar Harbor. It was well-organized and they used a vendor's boat to get more passengers over in a short period of time. DISEMBARKATION was the usual mess but I find that to be the case with all lines. Tip for Cape Liberty: Use a porter, they have a special line to get you through customs, I would lump Celebrity in with the other mass market lines--not worth paying more for in my opinion. Presently, HAL and Oceania are on my list of favorite lines.

Not the Celebrity of Old