3. Celebrity Summit
This was my 3rd cruise on Celebrity, and somewhere near my 17th cruise (most on RCCL, with experiences on NCL and HAL). My mom (60’s) and myself (30s) have tried to take a mother/daughter cruise every summer since I graduated college and look forward to this every year. We sailed on the Summit last year to Bermuda and quickly agreed it was the best port to go to and we had such a blast on the Summit last year we were hoping lightning with strike twice. While we had a perfectly nice time this year, even with the renovations to the ship it didn’t live up to 2018. - Age Demographic – we are not the type that need to be raging in the club until 2am but this ship felt as old as our ship on Holland America trip to Alaska. I’d blame the time of year (before school let out), but we went the exact same week last year and we didn’t feel this way at all. My mom and I like to sip on a nightcap and listen to live music at night – the options here were lacking and it seemed very quiet at night. We’ve never really noticed such a big age discrepancy but we felt it on this boat. If you’re the type that loves the nightlife on RCCL and NCL, this wouldn’t be the boat for you. • New cabins: On first glance, it looks absolutely beautiful. Love the new modern design and the stateroom, but I can't see this holding up very long. The sensors in the bathrooms in the general areas were impossible to turn on. Our sink in our stateroom jammed, the divider between the balcony was loose and had to be tightened, the wall art was coming apart at the seams on the wall, and the bottom drawer was broken . All of these items were fixed promptly and guest services always followed up, but these issues shouldn't be happening only a few cruises in. The new sunset deck chairs already had stains on them since they were a light tan. It seems like the ship was hastily renovated using materials that will not hold up well. - There seems to be a disconnect between corporate and the ship. I have absolutely no complaints about the staff, but you need to give them the tools to do their job! We had wine in Cellar Masters every night and both my mother and I chose options off the menu. We ended up sending them on a wild goose chase every night because they weren't stocked with what was listed. A less understanding person would blame them for circumstances out of their control. I also enjoyed the stir-fry every evening at the Oceanview Cafe, but every time I waited in line, only one person was working, even with two stations set up. She did a fantastic job but we also saw managers walking around and surveying but no action taken. Why weren't they giving her an extra person to help move the line along? - We had an unexpected delay the last 2 days of the cruise was someone on the Anthem had a medical emergency and was delayed a day coming into port. This meant that our docking into Cape Liberty would be 3-4 hours delayed. With the unexpected delay, the cruise handled it really well. Passengers were offered 2 hours of free internet to rebook their flight, as well as a free phone call (at Guest Services) to rebook their flights. Celebrity also worked with the major airlines to comp any change fees to flights, even if you didn’t book through X which was really appreciated. They also offered to comp anyone’s garage fees if they drove in and were charged an extra day. As my flight was at JFK (Anywhere 45min-1.5hr away from Cape Liberty), we opted to do walk off service. I was shocked of how many people were also doing the same even though they were parked at the dock. To help those trying to catch a flight - might I suggest having a departure for those who have valid boarding passes for flights that day to walk off first? One would have to show guest services their boarding pass in order to get entry into the departure lounge and priority to leave. It ended up not being an issue as the boat docked earlier than expected, but it would have put additional stress on those catching a flight at EWR or JFK trying to fight people who were just impatient to drive home. - We’ve been on ships where the staff seemed frustrated or overworked to the point where they were unhappy. This was not the case here. Despite the roadblocks we encountered, every person working on the ship did so with a smile. We loved the staff last year and this year they did not disappoint. The activities team ended up planning a whole half day itinerary while we waited to dock due to the delay – extra trivia and name that tune really made a difference when everyone was waiting in the departure lounge. - Touch-less water bottle filter stations across the ship would be appreciated. You're making a commitment to go green, sell the Swell bottles in your gift shop, but only the gym has the option to refill the water bottles. People were ignoring the sign in the Oceanview and filling their bottles anyway (the most I've seen on any cruise). Giving people a sanitary quick option to fill their water bottles would help this. - The fitness center was clean, but rules were never enforced. Countless times I saw people on the treadmill wearing improper footwear, at one point, someone was walking on the treadmill in jeans and no shirt. Another time I saw someone walking on the treadmill SIDEWAYS. These all had the potential to hurt themselves as well as others. I wouldn't take a treadmill next to these people for fear of getting injured. I never saw a fitness facility staff enforce any rules. - I'm a boutique fitness junkie. I loved the idea of a HIIT class, but I wasn't going to pay $25 for a Orange Theory "inspired" class plus 18% gratuity. That's more than the drop in rate for a OTF class that comes with the technology and unique equipment. The only time I saw value in paying for a fitness class on a ship was when Allure of the Seas worked with Flywheel. The classes used to be $12, but $25 is insane (and other passengers felt the same as no one was signed up) - -We ate in the main dining room once. Service was great, but food was poor. My mom's steak looked like a hockey puck, and my watermelon salad was mostly under-ripe watermelon. The menus every day were also the least appealing we've seen on a cruise (15+ cruises in). Not sure who the target audience was - but we couldn't find one thing to be excited about. On the other hand, the Oceanview cafe had excellent food, both from the buffet or made to order. - The app has potential but has some bugs to work out. If you’re using the online express pass, download to your Apple Wallet PRIOR to coming to the pier. There is no internet service at the port and I was left without an express pass and had to be looked up manually. I couldn't get the wifi keyless entry to work once. The app was a bit clunky - I kept setting the filter to see all activities and it always defaulted to "Recommended" which were always completely random. App didn't update when activities were cancelled or changed. Getting to the daily activity schedule was a bit clunky - it wasn't enough for me not to use the app, but I can't see older generations using this too well. - Bermuda still is our favorite port to visit after visiting most ports offered in the Caribbean. The island is clean, safe and everyone we met is an absolute pleasure. Beaches are calm and serene without worrying about someone trying to sell you various wares on the beach. We’ve already booked for next year back to Bermuda, but not on celebrity. They aren’t offering a 7 day sailing out of NYC next year, and I think we’re looking for just a bit more excitement.

Improvements Made, but...

psuboater’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Summit price drops

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2A
Cabin 2A 7178
Cosmetically we loved the changes to the room decor - bathroom was the best looking we've been in on a cruise ship. However, we could already see that the building materials used won't stand up through heavy wear.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins