3. Norwegian Getaway
I picked this cruise over others because of the itinerary. Before we ever sailed, we had issues with our plane reservations which we booked through them. They never communicated with us anything about them and assumed that we just knew to go into their web site and look at our cruise documents for our plane ticket information. No one ever told us to do that. They failed to get us seats on our outbound flights which was a huge hassle since both my husband and I have disabilities. You can not call one number and get things done. You have to call one for the reservation, one for the plane, one for entertainment, one for dining. I was on the phone for hours as you would be on hold for up to 45 minutes. Many of the departments are only open on weekdays during business hours and this includes Premier Air even if you have an emergency and your plane is late as ours was. Our plane was 1 ½ hours late leaving the US be and we only had 15 minutes to make our connecting flight in Germany. By some miracle we made it. Some other people from our state made it through NYC but their luggage did not. They were more than 50% through the cruise with no luggage and NCL took no responsibility for their luggage although they had booked their plane reservations through them. They try to cut the reservations too close to avoid people arriving too soon at the terminal. Beware making your plane reservations through them. I highly recommend arriving a day before. This is the first time I have arrived the day of the cruise. It was a nightmare. The communications from NCL, except to not arrive at the port early, was the poorest of any cruise line I have ever been on in my life. They called, texted and emailed us not to arrive at the port early, yet could not communicate a single word about our plane tickets. I had never sailed on NCL before and did not know that they had a reputation for missing ports for little or no reason – well it happened to us. We missed two out of the nine scheduled ports including one I had really wanted to go back to. Ostensibly the reason was “weather”; however, the port was sheltered and although they claimed 30-40 knot winds, they didn’t look like any 30-40 knot winds this blue water sailor had ever seen. It seemed like more of an excuse to try to get people into the dead casino with an extra sea day. The first port we missed because they were 5 hours late leaving the port the first day. We got a whole $50 credit per state room for their mistake. We got no consideration for missing the port because of “weather.” We liked the location of our stateroom (11262). It was quiet, close to an elevator, close to most dining and entertainment, etc. Food, dinning, spa, etc. is located either at the front or aft of the ship, so the closer you can get to what you are going to use the most, the better. The inside of the ship is a maze of cabins and we were unable to navigate from end to end without going to a public deck. This 16-deck ship is a monster and it took a while to get oriented. There are no comfortable places to sit, read or relax anywhere if you are sailing, as we were, in the North Sea when temperatures are in the 40s to 60s. Everyone was stuck inside and on top of each other. I have never found a ship with so few places to sit and relax. I was glad I paid $319 for a membership in the Thermal Suite just to have a quiet place to go that wasn’t in my cabin. They have teak loungers in there. The Getway had been in drydock for two weeks when we boarded. Everything was supposed to have been refurbished. My TV, coffee maker, remote control and telephone did not work. I had to ask for bath robes, which were supposed to be furnished. The chain of command for getting things fixed was not clear. It was impossible to call down and get anyone to answer your concerns on the phone and I sometimes got a snarky answer. The line at Customer Service was impossibly long, so I started going at 10 at night to avoid the lines. I highly recommend that you sign up for everything in advance – a lot of people could not get reservations for excursions or shows they wanted. The TV and onboard kiosk system were confusing to me. I do not advise paying for anything in advance. You may change your mind about what you want to do. With the exception of Madinero, we regret we did any of the specialty dinning. They were mediocre and not the fine dining we are accustomed to– especially Ocean Blue which we had as a part of our dining package and had to pay extra for on top of that. Madinero was a Brazilian Steakhouse and was excellent. We enjoyed Burn the Floor. We missed Million Dollar Quartet because it took them three hours to get us back by tender after an excursion although we had allocated an hour and a half from the end of the excursion. We enjoyed eating at O’Sheehan’s, which is included. Taste and Savor were about the same, but the lines were often long. The descriptions were not always on point. It also often took a long time to eat. If you participated in the excursions, you had very little time to shop and the shops had very few items from the places this ship went – Denmark, Scotland, Norway and Iceland. They were loaded up for their next cruise – the Baltics. This didn’t seem right. Although they had an extensive art gallery and auctions, they had very limited merchandise in their shops. I understood from people who had cruised on NCL before that this was their worst experience. The staff was unfriendly, didn’t work together well, would not follow through, etc. Everything was not terrible, but for what we paid, it was not what we were expecting. They also want to nickel and dime you to death – everything is extra. The one bright spot was the Excursions Staff who handled my disability better than any other excursions staff on any other cruise line. Kudos. They get FIVE STARS!!!!! I wish they could have done something about the three-hour tender wait. I was so incensed about the poor service and missing the ports, I had my service charges removed and tipped my steward myself. They don’t want you to know this, but you can do this by going to the Service Desk and filing out a form. Some people paid around $1200 for this cruise, as they were not sold out and dropping the price until they weighed anchor. We paid many, many times that as we booked almost a year in advance and our expectations were commiserate with what we had paid. I didn’t pay for a bargain cruise and I didn’t expect a bargain cruise. In talking with others about why they picked NCL, some said it was price, some said itinerary and some said because of the singles program. Unless I get a deal I can’t refuse, this will probably be my last NCL cruise. One last thing, NEVER drink the water in your stateroom. ALWAYS get your drinking water from a restaurant. They filter that water but do not filter the water out of the tap in your stateroom.

Look For An Alternative, the Good, the Bad & the Ugly

ascrump’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BA 11262
The cabin was in a good location, but smaller than I am use to for a balcony.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins