3. Norwegian Getaway
This was my fourth Norwegian Cruise. Good points: 1. Itinerary awesome! Norway, Iceland and Scotland leaving from Copenhagen (I stayed here for 3 nights prior to cruise) 2. Food good (hey I don’t have to cook or wash dishes plus I’m not a fussy eater) 3. I stayed in the Studio cabins (for solo travellers) and we have our own lounge area with own bar and bartender (scheduled between 5-7 pm) plus our own social director. 4. I did see some entertainment. Not bad. Vincent (the cruise director) and Nicolas (one of the entertainers who came onboard) were good as a duo one night in the Headliners. I recommend seeing Million Dollar Quartet which was excellent! Albeit the music was too loud ( ), Syd Norman’s House band was very good. Bad points: 1. We left Copenhagen 5 hours late so the next day the captain decided to cancel the first port of call of Haugesund, Norway. We got a refundable port charges but didn’t think the non-refundable $50.00 each cabin was good enough. Should have been maybe a bit more and each person. Also we missed Invergordon because captain said it was the weather. I had a private tour here but with luck I got a full refund. Some people felt there was nothing wrong with the weather but I’ll have to take captain word for safety reasons, I think. So I feel we kind of got gipped anyway. At least we should not have missed the first port. 2. The tendering was awful both ports of Geiranger and New Haven (for Edinburgh). I missed my private tour in Geiranger by 15 minutes (in this case those tours won’t give full refund but they were nice enough to give me 50% back). I told Guest Services (I know they won’t care because wasn’t ships tour). I told them I tried to book the tendering on the TV and couldn’t find where (I found out later it was under entertainment, the daily newsletter was vague on how to find it on the TV menu). I went right away next morning went to Box Office to book and was told earliest was tender #5 and that I would be there by noon (that’s when my tour left). Guest Services said others booked on TV. I wasn’t happy with that response and said “well I guess I’m not so techno savvy, eh?” He booked me on #2 tender for New Haven. Didn’t have a private tour in Edinburgh but took a heck of a long time to get tendered as I waited for over an hour in the theatre then it took 25 minutes to get to the port. 3. We solos have our own activities person. I think someone needed to train her better because all she did was get us together for a quick meeting then dinner. We met in another lounge instead of our studio lounge like other ships. The poor bartender (scheduled from 5-7 at the studio lounge) was there alone every evening. A few people here and there got drinks. The activities director did bingo one evening (I won). I kind of felt sorry for her. Maybe I should have trained her. 4. With 4,000 people yep it does feel crowded at times especially at the buffet. Most mornings I’d grab my breakfast and head to our lounge area. I liked my cruise but at the same time this tendering business kind of spoiled it.

Awesome itinerary that came with disappointments

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by paperclips

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Studio Stateroom
This was my fourth Norwegian Cruise.

Good points:

Bad points:

paperclips’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Studio Stateroom
Cabin T1 11501
I love these studio cabins for solos. They are small but that's fine
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Akureyri
    Nice stop. Explored the town. There is an older section of the town but somehow I missed my sense of direction. Someone did see and said it was nice but could tell the buildings needed a bit of reno.
    View All 71 Akureyri Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Akureyri Cruise Port Review
  • Bergen
    I walked around the town on my own. Wasn’t far from the ship. Lots to see here including the Fish Market, St. Mary’s Church, Bergen’s Haneatic Quarter (Bryggen) is a fragile wooded old town here in the city. I wanted to see Theta Museum, which highlights Norway’s resistance movement during WWII. It is very hard to find BUT I managed to finally find it. Unfortunately it was closed. They only have a few short opening hours during the week (Tue, Sat, Sun 2:00-4:00 pm)
    View All 621 Bergen Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Bergen Cruise Port Review
  • Copenhagen
    I stayed three nights before the cruise at Cabinn City Hotel. Good location for the hotel, few minute walk from Central Train Station and Tivoli Gardens. Got myself a 48 city pass (large one which covers most zones). Went to visit towns such as Roskilde and Helsingor. My stay was perfect, I'm glad to have stayed those extra nights (at first I thought it would be too much).
    View All 1,069 Copenhagen Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Copenhagen Cruise Port Review
  • Edinburgh (South Queensferry)
    We docked at New Haven. Again the tendering was terrible, such a long wait. When I got to the dock I was asking for bus no. 11 to get me to Edinburgh but who knew there was express buses going to St. Andrews Square (GBP 4.00 return and I thought a bargain!) I had been to Edinburgh seven years ago. I thought Royal Mile was busy then, think there were 10xs as many people! I didn’t walk there very long, used the National Library of Scotland for WIFI quickly then decided to explore the New Town more before heading back to the ship. Back at New Haven I stopped at the Brewer’s faye pub/restaurant right there the dock for a beer (I tried Tennants beer established in1885) and used their WIFI. My timing was perfect getting back to the ship because after 4:00 I heard it started to get busy with long lines for tendering. Someone said they waited 2 ½ hours.
    View All 175 Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Cruise Port Review
  • Flam Railway
    I took the ships railway tour. Expensive but I had nothing planned and probably won't get here again. The tour was good. Stopped at a hotel for waffles (cream and strawberry jam), coffee/tea/water
    View All 177 Flam Railway Reviews
  • Geiranger
    So I missed my private tour because of the ridiculous tendering process (see my review). I just walked around town, went to see their waterfalls, walked around a nice neighbourhood high up, gorgeous view of my ship and the surrounding area.
    View All 139 Geiranger Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Geiranger Cruise Port Review
  • Reykjavik
    We had an overnight stop. I took the Gray Line tour of the Golden Circle. That was good and less expensive than the ship. The next day the ship had shuttle buses (U.S.$18.00 return) and dropped people off at the Harpa Concert Hall. Walked around the capital finding basically everything I wanted to see.
    View All 100 Reykjavik Cruise Port Reviews