3. Norwegian Sky
We left for our cruise about four days after the executive order that trips to Cuba are no longer allowed. NCL took a while to announce what our new itinerary would be and what our discounts would be, but we were very pleased with the information when it was announced. We were originally supposed to do Cuba overnight, a day at sea, then Great Stirrup Cay. They replaced the Cuba days with Freeport and Nassau. We have cruised royal and Disney several times each, and this was our first NCL trip. We selected it for Cuba, but were determined to make the best of the trip regardless of the change. The ship itself was small, which we were expecting. The decor was nice and not garish. The layout to get to the Crossings dining room was awkward but we eventually got the hang of it. The feel was relaxed and the crew was very friendly. Our room was small. We were expecting that, being spoiled by DCL's larger rooms but we had forgotten just how small inside rooms were on other lines. We had to shift the bed about 1" every night so I could get around the cabinet without getting my leg stuck. The decor was nice, the room was clean. We were in 0138, which is right below the teen club. That was a mistake. It was very loud and there was a clunky noise or scraping noise seemingly 24/7. The dining was perfectly acceptable. We rarely do specialty restaurants and did none on this trip. I was disappointed that the sit-down lunch offered the same menu every single day. There were not enough things there that sounded good so we ended up doing the buffet which isn't our favorite but there was more to choose from than we could possibly eat so it was fine. The pretzel buns are AMAZING I am going to try to make some at home. The beef dishes were good. I found most of the soups to be very overly salted. I thought the freestyle dining was amazing, and I wasn't expecting to like it. Seating was fast, the restaurants were nice, we liked the privacy as well. The food itself seemed comparable to both DCL and RCCL and we were happy with that. Snacks in the casino were fun to try late at night as well. The breakfast buffet was really repetitive, but there was enough to select from so again it was fine. We found the sushi bar late into the trip. The service there was excellent and we had never had sushi before. We really enjoyed the spot. The view was nice, the bar was quiet and friendly. It really was a very nice space to spend some time. The main shows on the Sky were quite cheesy. Props to the cast they really did put in a lot of energy and effort. DH and I were both theatre majors and enjoy shows but these were not our style. The audience was very well mannered and the cast was really talented. We tried a couple of the group games and those were fun as well. The trivia looked fun from afar. We did not do the outdoor activities because they really aren't our style. I peeked in at the movies and those seemed like fun also. Quiet and relaxing. The bingo game we went to was a good time as well. The staff did a good job of keeping things fun. I do prefer more enrichment type activities, there was very little of that offered on this type of trip and on this ship. Our cabin steward was very prompt and did a good job. We only saw him two times but he always remembered our names and was very friendly. The convenience of the onboard account info being on our app was incredible. I wish the venue hours were in the app as well as the scheduled activities. The food service staff were always friendly, but not all were attentive. It just depended on the evening. We did three ports. Freeport was BEAUTIFUL. DH chose a sailing excursion and it was hands-down the most beautiful day we've ever had in port. Our second stop was Nassau, which is always our least favorite. We did a snorkeling tour and felt like we were cats being herded but the snorkeling was good. Great Stirrup Cay was a great little private island. We don't enjoy beach days much but do love to snorkel. There wasn't a lot to see, but it was calm, sunny, the equipment was clean and in good shape, and we really did enjoy ourselves. Even with a smaller ship, and a short Bahamas itinerary, we've decided that NCL is a great fit for us. We enjoy excursions and taking it easy, and even though there are lots of activities offered, there's a lot of opportunity for just kicking back and relaxing if that's your style.

First NCL Trip Re-routed from Cuba to the Bahamas

avgsuperheroine’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sky price drops

Inside
Cabin ID 0138
This cabin is directly below Entourage, the teen club, if I'm reading the map correctly. There was a loud thumping or scraping noise pretty much around the clock. It bothered me some, it bothered my husband a great deal. I was expecting a small room and a small room is what we got. The lights had USB ports by the bed which was nice. We had to move the bed frame each day about 1" over to one side so I could get around the refrigerator cabinet without getting my leg stuck. The decor was nice, the room was clean.
Norway Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Freeport
    We waited about an hour and then took a very nice coach tour around the island to our sailboat. There were about 15 of us on that tour, and we boarded and took off. The trip was hands-down the most beautiful port day we've ever had. It was serene and beautiful, quiet, and the staff was very friendly. The drinks and food popped up from below deck which was fun. The weather was beautiful so we were able to snorkel and we all had a great time. This excursion was AMAZING. When we were done we walked about a block down the road to a private beach for an hour to do what we wanted (shaded beach hammock thank you!) and then took the bus back to the ship. All around perfect, really.
    View All 13,002 Freeport Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Freeport Cruise Port Review
  • Snorkeling
    For $30, the snorkeling process was very simple. The equipment was clean and in good shape. The island is nice, like all private islands. We walked around to see what was there and then jumped right in to some snorkeling. There wasn't a lot to see but the area was nice and calm and it was a good time regardless. There were a few areas with some fish to look at but overall it was fairly sparse. For the price though it was a good deal and a great relaxing way to spend the day.
    View All 81 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    The video on the ship site made this look like service was a top priority. It was a catamaran and snorkel trip. We were in a very large group, and I felt like we were stacked on like sardines. One of the ship's crew members was rolling his eyes at some of the customers. Those of us on the tour were worried about where we were going to sit because we were squished and that led to some minor inconsiderate behavior. The snorkeling was very nice, a good amount of time and the equipment was clean and in good shape. Overall the rest of it was just disappointing.
    View All 217 Snorkeling Reviews