3. Norwegian Getaway
We chose this cruise because Hurricane Michael prevented up from sailing to Canada last year. I did not want to go a on mega ship but I only got a credit. We chose to stay in Copenhagen the day before and after the trip which gave us a lot of time to explore the city on foot, no buses! The embarkation and disembarkation were great. Very organized from start to finish. My biggest complaint is they were five hours late and we missed our first port in Norway. Not happy about that at all. The ship is so big and too many people. The ship was gorgeous in every area except the weight lifting room. Terrible machines, too small and not enough variety. There are great high end restaurants but the other free dining is average. Lots of variety with other places that you must pay for. I am not a fan of the buffet. I don't like people handling the same utensils to serve food. They just go a Starbucks. The entertainment was outstanding. We saw most of the shows. We loved Syd Normans. Two great rock bands. The service is fantastic. The crew cannot do enough for you. We loved the small ports. The big ports require traveling to see things. You can't just get off the ship and walk around. Norway and Iceland were our favorites. We knew nothing about tendering to shore and it was a disaster. 45 minutes each way on the little hot boat is a joke. Both times it was pouring rain and 4000 people standing in line for their turn after touring all day was a joke. The shore excursions are costly. Out favorites were, the rib boat in Flam, Norway, the Golden Circle, Overland tour of Geiranger and the Blue Lagoon. The Glamis castle and tour of St. Andrews was a 9 hour tour. No meal. Six hours on the bus. Two hours at the castle and one hour at St. Andrews. The bus rides had guides that never stopped talking, coughing sick passengers (we both were sick after the first week) and many stops were so short you had no time to really explore what you paid a lot of money to see. We missed another port in Scotland at Inverness since the seas were too rough to get in. We had to go back out to sea which meant three straight days of cruising. The seas were 15 foot waves and 40 mph winds. I have had balance problems after that and since I got home. Would I cruise again? I will never cruise again. Too much eating and drinking and not enough time on excursions devoted to exploring the cities you came to see. We saw more in Copenhagen the day before and after our cruise then we did on excursions. The big ships are too big. If I ever did go on a cruise again, it would never been on these rocky cruise ships. The last night in the port in Copenhagen they did a load test from 1 am to 5 am and the ship rocked back and forth. Not my way of ending a cruise especially if you are already having problems from the rough seas. We sailed on Holland America to Alaska and I have to say that the difference in the two cruises was like night and day.

A lot of money for very limited sightseeing

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by landlover52

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Family Mini-Suite with Balcony

The service is fantastic. The crew cannot do enough for you.

landlover52’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Family Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin M2 12832
Accommodations of a mini suite – The room was too small, balcony too small bathroom great but stunk like sulfur entire trip. Our room steward did a good job.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Akureyri
    Akureyri Nature and History Good excursion and stops but again too much talking by the tour guide.
    View All 77 Akureyri Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Akureyri Cruise Port Review
  • Bergen
    The Hardanger Fjord excursion was expensive and nothing more than a long extended boring bus ride with little time to see anything except the waterfall. The tour guides need to learn to take a break from nonstop talking every minute. The lunch was very good but little time to see the town and walk around because we had to get to the waterfall. When these excursions are described online there should be an explanation of time on a bus, tendering, time at lunch or seeing the town etc. It is impossible to make good choices because you really provide limited information.
    View All 13,216 Bergen Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Bergen Cruise Port Review
  • Edinburgh (South Queensferry)
    The last stop was Edinburgh. This was the grand finale of all. We signed up for Glamis Castle & St. Andrews. The tour was 9 hours. The tour explanation fails to mention:
    a) Tendering for 45-50 minutes each way considering loading and the ride.
    b) There is only 3 hours of touring on a 9 hour excursion without meals.
    c) We had two hours at the castle which was great.
    d) We had one hour at St. Andrews when the description led you to believe you could walk in town, have lunch and see the golf course. We had no time to do anything but quickly walk the area.
    e) The tour guide talked for 6 hours.
    f) It was pouring rain when we got back to the tender area and the line was not to be believed. People were getting soaked until they passed out plastic covers. Only after an hour did they enlist another company to assist in getting us back to ship. This took was an ordeal attempting to dock at the ship. Very dangerous. Getting off when they tried to dock the ferry they were having a difficult time. People were rushing to get off and it was unstable. The first people off where falling as they did it. Then three-four people had to help each passenger on to the ship. It was a slow process and we were tired and many people were wet.
    g) This was unacceptable from start to finish.
    View All 13,216 Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Cruise Port Review
  • Inflatable Boat Fjord Tour
    The Rib Adventure in Flam, Norway was outstanding. Even though it was short it was the true way to experience the fjords up close and personal. The company was excellent as well as our tour guide.
    View All 12 Inflatable Boat Fjord Tour Reviews
  • Geiranger
    The Overland Tour to Geiranger was outstanding. Our tour guide was incredible and didn’t dominate with nonstop talking. I have to say this was the best excursion of all. We got to stop and see things and were told to be back on the bus in 5 minutes. We had snow falling and it was worth every penny. The only down side to this excursion was standing in the rain to get back to the boat on the tenders. This is another unadvertised ridiculous imposition on your guests. I heard people complaining of the hours to get on and off the ship. We are lucky we got off in Hellesylt. With over 4,000 people it is not acceptable.
    View All 13,216 Geiranger Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Geiranger Cruise Port Review
  • Reykjavik
    Bathing in the Blue Lagoon – Great excursion. The tour guide talked too much. This was too early in the morning.
    View All 113 Reykjavik Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Reykjavik Cruise Port Review
  • Golden Circle
    The Golden Circle Good excursion but too long on the bus and stops before you get to the waterfall. The dinner took so long we had 15 minutes to see the geysers. That was very disappointing. Many people left dinner to go to the geysers longer. We had more time at the National Park. This tour guide also talked non stop. Once again bus times and times at the stops should be known.
    View All 109 Golden Circle Reviews