3. MSC Seaview
Our experience aboard MSC Seaview was generally very positive and we have excellent memories. However, there were some things we felt fell short. I’ll give you the good and the disappointing bit keep in mind we had a wonderful time. We are experienced American cruisers ha omg been on about 15 Caribbean cruises. We have been to Europe a few times but this was our first cruise. We also brought our 18 year old son and his best friend. We chose the Seaview because it was new, looked interesting and a very good value. Reading reviews here we lowered expectations a little and prepared for some issues. General experience: The ship is gorgeous all around. The vibe is energetic and a bit of a party ship. Maybe it’s the nature of Europeans but it is a late night ship. People are out and about until very late, which we like. Eating late, dancing, packing the 10:30 show...it’s a fun place to be. Service and interactions with staff were friendly and efficient. Typical of any cruise line. Americans must be aware that this is not an American cruise. Because we are not as familiar with MSC you don’t find many fellow Americans. While English is spoken by all of the staff there are heavy accents and it’s not the only language of the ship. We expected this and had no issue with it. Communicating is easy on and off the ship. Itinerary: Extraordinary. Cannes. Such charming street cafes and shops. Walk along the endless 100’-200’ yachts and be amazed. Palma de Mallorca. Toured the former palace of the King of Spain and liked that as well as the enormous adjacent basilica. So many beautiful buildings, such character. Cabin: We had a typical balcony stateroom for us and an inside cabin for the boys. Room was neat and comfortable. However we found the storage lacking. Virtually no shelves and few drawers. Not a big deal. Barcelona. We bikes here and it is a very very busy city. Lots of traffic and pedestrians. It’s a clean city with much to see Loved it. Ajaccio. Liked this stop even though it was quiet as it was a Sunday. Most of the businesses were closed. But we had a nice lunch and walked the city and enjoyed it. Genoa. Heard this wasn’t much to see. How very very wrong. Some of our most memorable moments were waking this gem of a city. We walked a long long way that day but found so many fun places to see, climb and photograph. The character of the buildings was extraordinary. Had a wonderful lunch at a street cafe. La Spezia. Took the boat cruise to 3 adjacent tiny towns built along the mountain side shores. OMG were these extraordinary stops! We just stood there and marveled. Do this one. Dining: As many reviewers have stated the main dining experience is not on the level of other lines. Temperatures were inconsistent, food was of average quality at best and despite their best efforts we were constantly trading plates across the table after being served the wrong plates. We just laughed at that. Our servers were nice and everything was just fine, but don’t expect much here. We found the buffet fine for breakfast. Good eggs, lots of breads and fruits. Plenty of seating. Breakfast is hard to mess up. We don’t go to the buffet beyond that typically. We did purchase the 3 meal special restaurant package for the four of us. We did so because reviews indicated that the dining room was inconsistent. We were glad we did this. It’s a little expensive but the service and food is much better here. Two disappointments however. The package limits you to a certain section of the menu. If you want anything else you have to pay more. We had paid enough. But what we did have was good quality. Maybe not great, but good. The other downer was that there were very few other diners and it made for a quiet ambience. Would we do this again? Yes. Embarkation and debarkation were simple and quick. This trip was different in that fellow cruisers could begin and end their trip anywhere along the cruise so there were not massive crowds at one location. Entertainment. Go to the theater shows. Do it. These were definitely the best shows we have ever scene aboard ship and it’s not close. The talent was strong and deep. The signers were excellent and the dancers and acrobats were marvelous. The crowd was clapping and stamping and one show we gave a standing O. 10 of 10 here. Drink package. Hmmm. A little frustrating. We paid for a package last summer but by the time we boarded things and changed and what we ended up with was pretty low end. The cheapest wine and just Heineken for beer which I don’t like. However...one must make friends. We made a good friend in one of the bartenders and by the second night we were getting better wines, call brands and beers of choice with a wink and a nod. This man was tipped handsomely. But away from that bar we had to feel like cheapskates getting the low end stuff or had to pay for better. Coffee. This gets its own section because it was a frustration. It was there at breakfast but otherwise a little hard to find. Late afternoon they would sometimes be out. And if you wanted coffee with desert, well, they looked at you like you had 2 heads. And late night pizza and coffee? Well you get the pizza. Excursions. We did 2. We did a bike tour in Barcelona with the wonderful Maria and a 3 stop boat tour of Cinca Terre in Le Spezia. Both were winners, I’d suggest both. Both had challenges. If you get seasick you may want to be prepared for Cinca Terre. And the bike tour had my wife a bit nervous as you are in a lot of auto and walking traffic. But the sites were terrific. Worst experience of the cruise. WiFi packages. This is a straight up, out in the open rip off. I had a 500mb plan which should be plenty. The fact is if I used it as I do at home I’d burn that up in 2 days or less aboard ship the way MSC runs things. And when you are done you have to manually turn it off or it still runs even if you have shut the web down. I burned up 2200mb overnight when I didn’t turn it off and no sites were running and had auto updates turned off. I burn no AT&T data overnight at home, what’s burning while I sleep on the ship? I asked for relief and got 500mb. Screw job. My wife had the unlimited for 139.00 and it worked well but that’s a helluva a lot of money. Guest Services. Even in the case of the WiFi complaint the staff there was great. They were well staffed and well trained. I had 3 occasions I had to interact with them and all were handled efficiently. Fellow reviewers. I think people are a bit harsh on these pages. We had a helluva time. If you expect a ship trying to handle 5000 guests to be a 5 Star dining experience then you will be disappointed. We had some things we kindve laughed about, like coffee being like warm or the meat over cooked but we did not experience rage. We are on a Med cruise! Life is good. We would sail Seaview again.

Terrific Itinerary!

MSC Seaview Cruise Review by welenja

We would sail Seaview again.
welenja’s Full Rating Summary
Get MSC Seaview price drops

• Bicycle Tour
    Maria was our guide along with an assistant. There were 10 passengers in the group. Maria was fantastic. Funny, energetic and knowledgeable. She even alerted the police to some street goons vandalizing a public space. Saw some terrific sites. One absolutely must see La Grads Familia, the most beautiful/bizarre building I've seen. Beware however if you are skittish biking in a crowd. You are interested in vehicular and pedestrian traffic. We were honked at and yelled at a few times. It's chaotic. I loved it, the boys loved it. My wife did not.
    View All 4 Bicycle Tour Reviews
  • Cannes
    Our first stop. It’s a bit undersold as a destination. The buildings are full of character and the streets are quaint and romantic. You’ll want to stop for a drink or a meal at the cafes squeezed into narrow streets. And the yachts!
    View All 494 Cannes Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cannes Cruise Port Review
  • Corsica (Ajaccio)
    This stop suffers from being on a Sunday. Unlike the States, life rather stops on a Sunday around here. Some tourist shops were open as well as some seaside restaurants but mostly it was a very quiet walk around this pretty city. Rather unremarkable though. Maybe this is the place for an excursion.
    View All 356 Corsica (Ajaccio) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Corsica (Ajaccio) Cruise Port Review
  • Genoa
    We absolutely loved Genoa! We walked several miles seeing all sides of the city. My wife found an online walking tour. Started in some very narrow, dark passageways filled with shops. It wasn’t scary, just different. Eventually we came upon Christopher Columbus’ home as well as some castle relics. The buildings have such depth and character! My son was desperate to find beach sand at every port for a bottle so we went well out of our way in Genoa. Away from the tourists we found the real city and loved it. Climbed 174 steps for a great view, got yelled at in Spanish for accidentally trespassing on a beach, and found a beautiful pedestrian street for shopping and dining. Embrace Genoa.
    View All 394 Genoa Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Genoa Cruise Port Review
  • La Spezia (Cinque Terre)
    We did the bot tour to three quaint seaside stops. Longish ride and some struggled with seasickness. But worth the trouble. These are post card stops to very old places built into steep rock inclines. We had a snack at one and wine at another. We climbed to a vineyard and sat with a woman with which we shared no language. Yet we somehow communicated and enjoyed our glass. Do this one.
    View All 293 La Spezia (Cinque Terre) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's La Spezia (Cinque Terre) Cruise Port Review
  • Palma de Mallorca (Majorca)
    This was probably our favorite stop. The perfect mix of hustle and bustle and small spots to treasure. Just walk, you don’t need an excursion. Just walk and keep your head on a swivel. So much beauty all around you. Visit the Palma cathedral and the adjacent palace. We also made it to the shore and had a drink seaside. There is a 13 Euro fee for transport from the ship as the city center is a hike. Didn’t like that charge for what is basically a land tender.
    View All 832 Palma de Mallorca (Majorca) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Palma de Mallorca (Majorca) Cruise Port Review
  • Rome (Civitavecchia)
    We did not take an MSC sponsored excursion but we did hire a private tour guide and it was terrific. Luigi drove us to several sites around the city and he was very knowledgeable. Actually we hired the company for turn key service in Rome. They met us at the airport, transferred us to the hotel which they arraigned, handled transport to the ship and then the pickup and tour of the city. We also had them arrange a hotel in Rome before then transporting us to the airport home. We toured the Coliseum as well as the Vatican. We are not Catholics but this is a tour everyone should take. We wandered the streets around our hotel and had a great time eating, drinking and mixing with people we met.
    View All 2,168 Rome (Civitavecchia) Cruise Port Reviews