3. Celebrity Infinity
My wife and I and several friends just returned home from the above noted cruise. While we enjoyed ourselves, I must say that we were very disappointed in many ways. We travel often, usually self-touring, and this was only our second cruise on a large ship (our first being on the Dawn Princess to Alaska in 2008). We chose Celebrity because it has the reputation of being a "notch above" Princess, and it offered us the itinerary we wanted for the Panama Canal. Quite frankly, we found our experience on Princess to be superior to our cruise on the Infinity. One couple traveling with us (the wife a former travel agent) who have gone on over twenty cruises, were very disappointed in this cruise. This cruise seemed to have one problem after another. Our boarding was delayed due to an alleged inspection. This delay translated into a two-hour boarding process, a late departure and a delay in arriving in Georgetown, GC. The marina was closed in Georgetown due to weather, so four ships had to share a small alternate pier causing delays with disembarking and returning to the ship, as well as great confusion ashore and cutting shore excursions short. Our time in Cartegena was reduced as the ship had to return to Georgetown because of an ill passenger (understandable, but one more thing on the long list). Our time in Cabo San Lucas was cut short by two hours due to an alleged engine problem requiring a longer cruise time to San Diego, yet we arrived in San Diego two hours early (so it's hard to believe the engine problem was the reason for our early Cabo departure). Then there was the water line break which really affected passengers on the seventh deck, but also affected all other passengers who were up (myself being one of them), as there was no water, no coffee, no water in the stateroom, and no information from 4:30 am until 7:30 am. The reported turn-around time of an hour and a half that was published on the ship was good spin, but not accurate. To top everything off, I tried to enroll in the Captains Club online once we arrived home, and was told that Celebrity's records showed that we had not participated in an eligible sailing. What's with that? We found the ship to be comfortable, but looking a bit worn and dated in many areas, including our stateroom. The overall maintenance of the ship appeared to be lacking as evidenced by very worn exterior wooden rails and fair amounts of rust. Our Princess ship had a crew constantly working on refinishing the rails and painting the ship. I only saw one man doing touch-up painting on the Infinity. Our experience in the dining room was varied. Juan (our server) and Miriam (his assistant) were superb. They were absolutely excellent in every way and everyone at our table loved them. Conversely, the maitre'd was unfriendly and quite full of himself and seemed to be just going through the motions of what was required from his office. The food was excellent at times, average most of the time and terrible occasionally. It was usually warm, but not hot. The fish was over-cooked and dry on most occasions, but was delicious when cooked properly. The steaks were varied, quite tough about half of the time, and great the other half (always ordered medium-rare). The beef Wellington, medium-rare (given to my wife) was outstanding, yet the piece given to me (medium-well) was terrible. The rack of lamb the first week was delicious, and the second week was very, very fatty. The veal cordon bleu was tough and lacked flavor. The escargot went from very salty to perfect depending on the day. The onion soup and butternut squash soup were delicious, while the other soups were average. The salads frequently came with wilted lettuce. The poached pear with gorgonzola wrapped in pastry and the duck leg appetizer were especially good. The desserts were varied and ranged from great to average. All in all, my wife and I and our friends who were also with us on Princess thought the food on Princess was consistently better. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool and the nice weather, but found the music to be very loud and bothersome for a relaxed atmosphere. We have no problem with the occasional pool parties and live music, especially later in the afternoon and evening. However, nice background music the remainder of the time would have been welcomed by us and many of the people we spoke with. The pool area decks were well maintained and clean, and the service was quite good. I bought a package to the Persian Garden, and several times during the cruise the steam was not working well or at all in both the Turkish Bath and the Herbal Bath. The first week the ladies in the Aqua Spa were barely civil and seemed more intent with looking and acting glamorous. They were much more friendly the second week, so I assume something was said to them. Our stateroom attendant was average. We never even saw him until the second night, and rarely after that. Our stateroom was always clean and left in wonderful shape for us, but we had little opportunity to develop any kind of relationship with him. I don't even know his name. We had pre-paid gratuities, and I can't help but wonder if he was giving his attention to those customers who had yet to tip him. Just a thought. The shore excursions ranged from excellent to poor. We have already provided feedback to the ship about our experience in Puntarenas (excellent) and in Huatulco (poor). My wife's Grand Cayman excursion was disappointing in that there were very few fish at the snorkeling site, and few sting rays at Sting Ray City. We've both been diving/snorkeling at Grand Cayman before, so we know how good it can be. The walking tour in Cartagena was great with the exception of all the street vendors who barraged us constantly throughout the tour. My wife's excursion in Acapulco was good, but rushed. We self-toured in Cabo, and would really have liked the extra two hours we were scheduled to have there. We really enjoyed the Panama Canal, which was the highlight of the trip. The disembarking process in San Diego was smooth and quick, once we received the clearance to go ashore. It would have been nice if coffee had been available during the LONG wait following breakfast. We have very mixed feelings about this cruise. As I said, we really enjoyed ourselves, but we both feel the cruise would have been much better without all the scheduling snafus, and with higher quality food, some better/longer shore excursions, spa equipment working properly (especially when extra money had to be paid for use of the facility), and so on. We do not expect perfection, but the cumulative affect of all the issues and problems leaves us both unsure of whether or not we would recommend Celebrity to anyone.

Panama Canal Was Outstanding, Not So Was The Infinity!

Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by mauimyk

mauimyk’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Celebrity Infinity price drops

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2A
Cabin 2A 9173
A bit worn, good use of space, slightly larger balcony, hallway noise every morning around 4 AM. I would recommend a balcony on the seventh or eighth deck, as those on the ninth deck had supporting braces for the tenth deck interfering with the view.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins