3. Carnival Splendor
My husband and I booked this cruise to celebrate our 20th anniversary. First time cruisers! We flew into Long Beach airport the morning of embarkation on Jet Blue (love this airline...most leg space I've seen in coach!) Took Uber to the port, stopping at a store to pick up our sodas/wine/champagne along the way. Our check in time was schedule at 1 PM. We arrived around 9:45 AM and were able to chat with some the passengers coming back from the cruise before us after having the port steward take our luggage. Once they opened up the building where we could check in, we sat back and relaxed. I believe after 11:30, they started to allow people to board based on the zone # given to each stateroom group. Easy to board and the buffet and bars were open on Lido deck. Unfortunately, awhile after 4 PM when we were scheduled to depart, they started announcing there were issues with the engines they were working on. Around 5 AM the next morning, they pulled us away from the port to allow another ship to dock while they were waiting for the tech from Miami to get there. No casino, no onboard shopping allowed due to not being in international waters. We were finally on our way just before 3 pm, with an adjusted itinerary dropping the Mazatlan port due to lack of time. Cabin 6409: Balcony room, queen bed and 2 pull outs. Well worth the upgrade as I spent several hours out on that balcony over the course of the trip as it was shielded from the wind and I could be close to my husband who had to rest frequently. Only 1 outlet which is outside the bathroom, so bring a power strip. Bathroom was cozy, but definitely doable. Every shower ended up with water on the floor of the bathroom, even with the curtain inside the bottom lip. Dining: We ate at the buffet, deli, and burger place, as well as the Black Pearl dining room. The food was really good in the buffet the first couple days. Enjoyed the omelette bar the most for breakfast. The buffet desserts looked amazing first couple days and the second to last day. Seemed like they didn't try so hard to impress on the other days. The Black Pearl was really good food and the staff were great! The deli was my go to. Entertainment: Cruise director Lee was amazing! I was impressed with how well he dealt with the frustrations caused by the delay! Never saw him off his game once...24/7 always sharing the positive points and what events were available. The entertainment staff were talented. Wished I would have taken the time to see more of the productions. The movie nights by the pool were great picks! Bingo was fun. Art auctions, so-so, but I'm not into that stuff much. Hot tubs were luke warm, just slightly warmer than the pools it seemed. Would bring our kids next time if we come back as there seemed to be lots of kids enjoying themselves at the kids/teens clubs Service: Our steward Sandi was awesome! I am amazed how he remembered our names and would call down the hall to us by name as we were out and about, just to see how things were going. That's personal care! We didn't buy any beverages on the trip, but saw the bar staff walking around, advertising the mixed drinks regularly. The DJ was great! Didn't like the slight overlapping of events. Ended up missing out on the beginning of events a few times. Cabo San Lucas: we bought a lunch to go, took a water taxi around the arch, then were dropped off at a beach. I had my own snorkeling gear, so saved money that way and saw some colorful fish. Were picked up on time and had time leftover to walk around and explore right around the port. Puerto Vallerta: Waited until last minute to get a shore excursion on board and ended up getting the last 2 tickets to a bus taking people to a beach. Were dropped off in front of Si Senor restaurant, sat down on some lounge chairs, and my husband enjoyed a 2 hr foot massage for $50. He loved it!!! Water was nice and warm but not scuba diving quality.Too many vendors hocking their wares. Got old quick. Nice time to just lay back and relax.... Got back to port early, so went across the street to the mall and walked around and shopped a little. We had a late departure due to a couple of drunk passengers slowly walking back over a half hour late. Mazatlan: Oh wait...that was canceled due to the engine trouble. :( Shopping: They advertised a coupon book to use at the ports as well as on board. $25 for the book and a ticket in the drawing for a prize. Waste of money if you ask me. Didn't use any of the coupons. There were plenty of coupons, but only a few for each of the ports. Many other ports, including Caribbean, were in the book, so might be worth while if you go on other cruises within the upcoming year.Also included a few postcards. I ended up passing it on to people going on the cruise after us. Spa: I hate paying a lot for a massage.... but did it anyway. Pretty good. Recommend going cheaper route and getting it done off the ship while at port. Deembarkation: Turned in our luggage the night before we left so we didn't have to lug it around after 8:30 AM when we had to be out of the stateroom. Had breakfast at the restaurant as we pulled into the Long Beach port. Very organized process and went smoothly. Took Uber back to airport, checked in our luggage to Jet Blue 6 hrs prior to departure, then took bus into the city of Long Beach for lunch to pass the time, then back to the airport. Compensation: $50/person on board credit, Mazatlan port expenses refunded. I, as well as many others, were pretty disappointed with the low $ compensation due to losing a day of the trip and missing one of the 3 ports.

Mexican Riviera: shorter trip due to engine issues

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by ElyssaMarie

Mazatlan: Oh wait...that was canceled due to the engine trouble. :(

ElyssaMarie’s Full Rating Summary