Royal Princess Cruise Review
1,684 Reviews

Beautiful ship; Medallion needs lots of work

Royal Princess Cruise Review by lizmit

• Sail Date: Jun 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

The ship is beautiful and well kept. The staff was mostly friendly but many didn’t seem to know the right answers - new crew? Not well trained?

The drinks at Good Spirits were outstanding. The very handsome blonde guy who taught how to make the cocktails was great.

We were initially assigned to D207 a deluxe balcony, but the room had a terrible odor either dirty feet or vomit. We mentioned it to our attendant who actually argued that it didn’t smell. Jerk!

After waiting in the long long first day line at guest services and explaining that my daughter has respiratory problems and couldn’t sleep there (true) we were upgraded to a mini suite which was so much larger and roomy with a beautiful bathtub. No extra charge - so kind since I actually would have paid to upgrade if I had to. This was A205 with an excellent attendant name Cyrus. The balcony on the mini suite was just as narrow as the balcony on our first room. Their ridiculously narrow balconies could very well push me away from a future Princess cruise.

We were the first Royal ship to have the Hubbard Glacier Excursion offered and if you are offered this excursion DO IT. A much smaller boat - I believe it carried 148 passengers - came up alongside the ship and we boarded her very easily. the boat took us into the bay and much closer than the big ships can. It was great to get that close to the glacier and see sea lions, harbor seal, arctic terns and black legged kittiwake (gulls)

Dinner at Alfredo’s was good. One night I had the stuffed ravioli things - can’t remember the name, the second time Hawaiian pizza which was ok. Good service, no extra charge.

Crowne Grill was very good. Had lobster tail which was delicious but I recommend asking them to go light on seasoning. Our waiter Danilo and assistant Carlos were excellent. My only disappointment was that our birthday celebrations that I mentioned when making the reservation, weren't acknowledged.

The buffet was typical buffet fare. Good or bad, it offered something for everyone. I liked that they had late hours for those of us out prowling the ship after 10pm, although I don't know what time they actually shut down.

We had dinner in the main dining room one night which was good, typical dining room fare. Not memorable.

The International Cafe was a handy place to pick up a specialty coffee or tea and a snack, but I wished they changed the food choices up. Over the 7 days it seemed that they had the same sandwiches and salads offered every day, and usually the same desserts too.

Had the English Pub lunch at the Wheelhouse which was ok.

The Lotus Spa staff was outstanding, especially therapist Marytah. She had amazing hands, was very knowledgeable and extremely caring.

The Enclave was nice but very expensive and probably not worth it unless you have plenty of time onboard - we didn’t.

The internet was the fastest I’ve ever experienced on a ship.

The medallion system is confusing and although I'm sure in time it will improve, right now the only good thing about it was the find a friend app.

Overall I still prefer Celebrity but had a great time on this cruise.

lizmit's Full Rating Summary

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA A205

Good forward location, quiet. Roomy but balcony is as small as a regular balcony room. Very narrow depth.

Skagway

Lots of beautiful sights, great tour guide pointing out animals

The good - the bus has just 2 seats per window, I think it was a 12 seater. The bad - although the driver talked a lot and pointed out plenty, he didn't like to answer questions - as if he didn't want to be interrupted in his narration. Another annoyance was how often he spoke of his girlfriends ... seriously dude, I couldn't see any reason why any woman would want you. I can't recommend Seaward Tours.

View All undefined undefined Reviews