3. Celebrity Solstice
I had not been interested in seeing Alaska since I live in the Seattle area. I believed the climate and scenery would be similar, so I typically travel away from the rain and cold toward sunshine and warmth. However, our friends (two couples we had traveled with previously) invited us to join them on this cruise, and I am so happy we did. I would happily go on another Alaskan cruise, and I hope I get to one day. The scenery is so beautiful, and must be experienced in person. Words and pictures do not capture it. I have only been on one other cruise ship, RCI Symphony of the Seas, so in comparison the Solstice is much smaller. I definitely felt the ship movement more on this ship, but it did not affect me. I did, however, wear sea bands as a preventative measure. The ship is very clean and very pretty. We had an Aqua Class cabin on deck 11 and enjoyed the privileges of unlimited Persian Garden use in the Spa, and eating in the Blu restaurant. The captain was very engaged with the passengers, and his sense of humor was a delight. We were very lucky to have a gorgeous sunrise over Mendenhall Glacier, and the captain spun the ship 540 degrees so all could view the majestic glacier up close. The crew were all very friendly, work very hard, and are all eager to provide a great experience to every guest. We thoroughly enjoyed the educational talks offered on the ship about the wildlife, history of the port towns, and gold rush history. And the captain's powerpoint of the building of Solstice. If you can take time to hear these talks you won't be disappointed. We went to one show called Broken Strings. They did a great job dancing, but it was not easy to follow the story line through the songs. I could not hear the lyrics of the songs at all. I only knew what was going on by the dancing and acting (in love, cheating, breakup, make up). We saw both comedians, and they were just ok. I'd pass next time. My friends did the glass blowing, and enjoyed it. A bit pricey, but ended up with cool souvenirs. Canyon Ranch Spa: I had a deep tissue massage and also a paraffin wax treatment, and both were great. Beware of the emphasis by all the spa staff to upsell everything. They were very insistent that I buy a small tube of hand lotion for $33 (I declined). As aqua class, we were allowed to use the Persian Garden anytime. It has heated tile loungers with a floor to ceiling widow view of the ocean. I used this frequently, and it really warmed me up after the Juneau tour in the rain. DINING: We ate at Blu most of the time, which was the best option for Aqua Class. It is not crowded, you do not need reservations, they remember your name, and there is a great view from most tables. Blu is open for breakfast and dinner, which was fine since we were off the ship on port days. I ate at Grand Epernay (main dining room) three times. The dining room is very pretty, but the food was just ok. Nothing spectacular. The service was friendly and fast. The Oceanview Cafe is the buffet, and typically very crowded at meal times. Some dishes were very good, and others were very cafeteria bland. I did like that the cafe attendants were very attentive and offered to bring drinks from the bar to your table (if you could find a table!) Specialty Restaurants: We ate at Murano and at Silk Harvest. Murano was just ok. I had the lasagna that was oddly all meat and noodles, with very little cheese; not my favorite. Silk Harvest was the best experience. We had family style meal with all 3 couples and tried most of the menu items. I did not care for the shrimp pad tai but all the rest was really good. Drinks package: We had the premium package, and while it was nice to have the option to drink anything, we did not drink enough to make it worth the cost. It came with our package on this cruise, but I would not pay for it as an add on. Our friends had the classic package. Initially, it was not explained that there is a charge for drinks that cost over $9, and figuring out what drinks were part of their plan was confusing. I really liked getting specialty coffee or tea at Cafe al Bacio. It was comfortable seating with a view and treats. KETCHIKAN: We toured the town and Creek Street on our own, and went to the Great Alaskan Lumberjack show. It was cheesy show - but was also entertaining and showed off the amazing skills of the lumberjacks. In town, my husband ate a reindeer chili dog. Not my thing, but he liked it. JUNEAU: Mt Roberts Tramway: We docked at 1:30 and went on the tram before our 3:00 pm excursion. There were many cruisers in line for the tram, with long lines both ways. Be sure to allow enough time to do this if you have an excursion. The view would have been amazing, but was obstructed by fog. I did not think it was worth the price of $29 each. We did not plan to do a hike at the top, the resident eagle was not there, and we only spent about 20 minutes at the top because we had to return to the dock for our excursion tour at 3:00. Photo Safari Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier: This is a misnomer. No one on the tour was interested in photography, and the focus of the tour guide's information was on glacier conservation efforts, not cameras or photo opportunities. The nature trail to the glacier was through a dense forest, and it rained the entire time. The guide stopped frequently to talk about plants and glaciers, and the scenery lacked any real photo ops and only one viewpoint. Just before we finally got to the glacier visitor center and view, he told us that he had run out of time and we had to run to the bus to make it to the whale watching part of the tour. We basically missed the main destination! We were not allowed to go into the glacier visitor center. I snapped two pictures and ran to the bus. The next part of the tour was on a small boat guaranteed to see whales or we get $100 back. We did see whales, and photo ops were in abundance on the boat, but we were so cold from walking in the rain for two hours, the wind chill on the boat ride added more discomfort to our cold and wet bodies. They really should do the tour in the opposite direction. Boat tour first, then glacier visitor center, and then nature walk for those interested while allowing others to roam free in the glacier area. SKAGWAY: White Pass Summit and Beyond: (booked off cruise - Frontier Excursions and Adventures). This was a bus tour to White Pass and the Yukon Suspension Bridge. The tour guide, Brooke, was very funny and knowledgeable, and she stopped the bus frequently for photo ops when wildlife was spotted. She even backed up the bus and did u turns to allow us to view the animals, which would not be possible if we had taken the more popular White Pass train ride. We stopped to observe three different bears, and a mama moose and her calf. This was the best tour of the trip, and I got some spectacular photos. The scenery of the tundra-like arctic landscape and majestic mountains and glacial lakes was like nothing I'd ever seen before. Going to the Yukon is a must do for sure! VICTORIA: Buchart Gardens tour. We docked at 5:30, and took a bus to Buchart Gardens. This was barely enough time to see the garden. It is an amazingly beautiful place, and to really enjoy it you need time to just sit and experience the beauty. This tour was expensive and way too fast. I am glad I live in Seattle and can go again at a more leisurely pace. The tour guide on the bus talked non-stop about uninteresting random things. I would have preferred a quiet ride to his personal jabber, "beyond those trees is a lake, and I have memories of taking the children there when they were small", which did not add to my experience.

Alaskan Adventure

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by IssyRoots

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: AquaClass

We saw both comedians, and they were just ok. I'd pass next time.

DINING:

IssyRoots’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

AquaClass
Cabin A1 1566
The cabin 1566 was very clean and our attendant, Iwyan, was friendly and accommodating. The cabin was slightly smaller than the one we had on our only other cruise (RC Symphony of the Seas), but not by much. The cabin is on the starboard side under the solarium and is quiet, and the balcony view is just about mid-ship and unobstructed. However, when in the room I mostly enjoyed the view from the sofa, which is next to the balcony in 1566. I tried to sit outside but thought it was too cold most of the time (cruised early June).
The spa shower in Aqua Class was very nice with extra jets and multiple settings. The bed is rounded to create more space, but my foot hung off the rounded end when I slept, and I am only 5'5. We missed the 2nd extra closet that we had had on the newer/bigger RC Oasis class ship. The over-bed storage was not easy to access, and the desk/dresser drawers were very small, so my husband left things piled on the sofa instead, which made the room less organized and messy. All of our luggage fit under the bed with room to spare.
There were only two outlets on the desk, one in the bathroom for an electric shaver, and none by the bed. I was prepared for this and brought a cruise approved adapter to provide more charging ports (the Trond 3 non-surge outlet extender). I like having my phone by the bed as a clock/alarm, and this was not possible due to the lack of an outlet.
There was a provided hair dryer and also a magnification mirror in the desk drawers, and both were appreciated. Aqua Class also provides a large golf-style umbrella, a smaller folding umbrella, two heavy spa robes, spa slippers, and small binoculars. (If you want to really look for wildlife, bring your own full size binoculars or a zoom lens camera). In addition, we received daily water bottles and iced tea, and an option for afternoon canapés. (but we did not partake), and turn down service with a chocolate on the pillow each night.
I liked the cabin, and Aqua Class amenities, and would choose both again.
Penthouse Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Lumberjack Show
    Cheesy show, but entertaining
    View All 275 Lumberjack Show Reviews
  • Yukon Van Tour
    Amazing bus tour to White Pass and Yukon Suspension bridge. Brooke was funny and knowledgeable, and stopped the bus when we saw bears and a moose and her calf. Scenery was spectacular! This was a great photo tour!
    View All 116 Yukon Van Tour Reviews
  • Butchart Gardens
    The garden is gorgeous, so definitely go if you get the chance, however, this tour did not offer enough time in the garden for the price paid. The tour bus driver talked too much about uninteresting random things that did not add to the experience.
    View All 258 Butchart Gardens Reviews