3. Norwegian Star
Food and service at the Le Bistro was very poor. So much so that we complained and were offered a free return visit, but we chose to not even waste an evening trying again. On the other hand, Cagney's was excellent and we ate there twice. The "included" meals were maybe a small step above institutional...not much to brag about. The menu at the "Irish Pub" was very limited and, no surprise, the place was almost always a ghost town. Someone needs to look at what your typical "brew pub" in America looks like in terms of offerings and decor, and re-brand it accordingly, including a greatly expanded menu. For some specific feedback, I had the "Buffalo" wings; but they must have mixed the Buffalo Sause with the Asian Sause because they came sweet and syrupy (or maybe they're just the same sauce). The Fitness Center was maintained at too warm a temperature. The aerobic equipment was a cheap off-brand focused more on the electronics and display than quality of the equipment. Every piece I tried, I found the movement/body motion to be unnatural, and, due to their light weight, they couldn't hold-up to my rigorous activity level and 200 pound weight (wobbled wildly). One elliptical kept freezing and had to be restarted (power on/off) several times by the attendant. The process for calling excursions and getting your number stickers seemed to change every day. Made it difficult to be smart about where to sit and wait for our number to be called while minimizing unnecessary steps up and down the steep theater aisles. We purchased the four-excursion package which was advertised to offer 20% savings on those four, PLUS 20% off on any additional excursions purchased that cruise. The extra 20% off additional excursions was not reflected on our final bill and I had to go down to guest services right before disembarking to get it corrected. After a few phone calls, the agent adjusted the bill, but then could only give me a refund in USD cash...quite useless in Venice (why not back onto same credit card???). Bottom line is that I should not have had to ask for the discount; it should have been automatically applied.

Nice cruise for the masses; not perfect my any means

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by UserCase54321

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

UserCase54321’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Star price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB
The room (Mini-Suite) was generally comfortable with the following exceptions:

- The bed was like a "W" because it was two hard and misshapen twin beds pushed together.
- The sofa bed was hard as a rock and very uncomfortable to sit-on. We never folded it out to see if it was better for sleeping than the "W" main bed.
- It was very awkward using the closet safe when you actually had clothes hanging there because it was installed sideways in the closet.
- The light switches were inconsistent (some were snap-to-on and others were spring-back) and poorly located.

But the large amount of negative air flow out of the bathroom was very impressive...humidity and/or odor cleared very quickly.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Athens (Piraeus)
    This was a "premium" tour featuring a very knowledgeable guide (masters in Greek History working on her PhD) that was certified in four languages, a small group size, a full lunch, and, UNFORTUNATELY, an augmented reality tablet for use on the Acropolis.

The tablets contained software that showed us in 3D how, based on where we were standing, the ruin we were looking at would have looked in its heyday. But in general, the tablets were a huge distraction to the beauty of the site and a major source of frustration. The tablets were bulky/heavy and strapped around our necks in addition to the audio set. Because they were to be used in the bright sunlight, we were also provided large cardboard shrouds that attached to the screen with Velcro. Not only were the shrouds insufficient to compensate for the bright sunlight, the bulk they added to our bodies made movement among the crowds very awkward. Much time was wasted at the beginning of the tour passing them out and then giving training on how to use them. Then even more time was wasted throughout the tour by the tour guide assisting individual clients trying to use them real time...especially when helping clients who were not tech-savvy to begin with. They were also fundamentally dangerous when clients were using them with their face stuck in the shroud rotating their bodies and moving around. They typically just ran into someone else while doing-so, and frequently risked injury on the slick and irregular surface of the Acropolis. You think people walking down the street looking at their cell phone is bad, just picture a group of 15 people randomly wandering around the Acropolis with our faces stuck into a shrouded tablet!

My wife and I would have much rather simply enjoyed the Acropolis as it stands now listening to the guide's excellent narration, and be given a link and password to look at the 3D recreation at our leisure later...like now at home.

Also, don't know if we were running late or what, but we were not afforded any free shopping time in the Plaka area even though our lunch was at a restaurant there. A different group on the same tour ate the same time at a much nicer restaurant, with an incredible view of the Acropolis (they showed us some amazing photos), and had time for shopping, so I'm not sure what was up with our group. We only saw a passing glimpse of the Acropolis from the bus on the highway.

Again, we really enjoyed our guide, but were just totally disappointed and distracted by the tablets. One point of feedback for the guide would be to turn-off the audio transmitter during breaks when talking to people "off-line" that are not part of the tour. This would prevent clients from over-hearing any potentially-disparaging opinions expressed by the guide, even in other languages.
    View All 12,410 Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Reviews