3. Viking Orion
This was our second and third Viking cruise. We'd been on a previous Viking Ocean cruise and both my wife and I came down with "type a" flu. I went from the ship directly to the hospital (with pneumonia). This cruise also had many many people coughing and sneezing all day at every venue. The ship was on "yellow alert" several of the days. The ship allows passengers to serve themselves in the buffet restaurant sharing the same tongs and serving pieces. Guests sneeze and cough into their hands and then pick up the serving pieces and spread germs at every meal. My wife caught bronchitis on this cruise and is still coughing 3 weeks later. The heating and air-conditioning never worked properly in our suite and we were told by the guest services manager that is was a design flaw in some cabins which could not be fixed. Our suite was really noisy and no one on staff could offer a reason. The menus are boring, preparation is very good. We hated the chef's table. We really enjoyed the classical combo and the piano player and the entertainment team of 4 people who did 3 different shows in 35 nights. We're done over 75 previous cruises mostly on Oceania and Regent. This will be our last Viking cruise. We've cancelled 3 future Viking cruises and re-booked all on Oceania and Azamara.

Our last Viking cruises

Viking Orion Cruise Review by SedonaJoel

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Alaska

The menus are boring, preparation is very good. We hated the chef's table.

SedonaJoel’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Orion price drops

Bedroom too small to easily get around the bed. Bathroom was very nice with its heated floor. There really was not enough room to have two sinks. Closet was much too small for a luxury suite (which Viking says "they are not a luxury cruise line")

Living-room had no comfortable place to sit - in the evening half the room was taken up with the cushions from the deck.

Bed was much too hard and uncomfortable. Thirty seven days on the ship nearly crippled my back. Rooms stewards were fantastic.

In the past 2 months Viking ships have been involved in two accidents - one killing 20 people. This follows a near disaster in May off the coast of Norway. This confirms my choice to abandon Viking as a choice of cruises.