3. Norwegian Epic
I sailed in one of the studio staterooms for a 7-night Western Mediterranean cruise. It was a very port-intensive cruise, and looking back I might have enjoyed a bit more time on this huge ship. There are a lot of things to do aboard the Epic, and a lot of good choices were made in its design. Check-in at the port in Barcelona was really quick and smooth. I was worried that my small studio cabin would feel too small. And the toilet & shower definitely feel too small, but overall I like it. I liked the access to the Studio Lounge as well. I will return to a studio stateroom just like this in the future, and I can recommend it for other solo travelers. That said, there are some annoyances. The motion-activated light in the WC does not work consistently, and I wish the bed weren't just two twins shoved together without being joined by a single mattress pad. Decks 5 and 6 are full of exciting places, and there's always a lot of fun energy down there. The atrium hosts presentations, games, and performances, and it's easy for people in other parts of those decks to get pulled in to the good times over there. It contributes to the fun deck-6 bar/restaurant O'Sheehan's, where people often pass the time by peering over the railing to see what's going on in the Atrium. O'Sheehan's is a complimentary meal venue, and has bowling, TVs, and other bar games in addition to being near the casino. Really fun atmosphere in that whole area. Food is mediocre to good. Moderno Churrascaria was notably not worth the cover for me. The meat just wasn't exceptional enough. But I loved my meal at Cagney's Steakhouse. All the complimentary options were pretty average, and the Garden Cafe, the buffet on the upper decks, was pretty unenticing. Entertainment was pretty good overall. The quality of the performers was excellent, but I was disappointed to observe that the big productions in Epic Theater don't include a live band. The singers sing along with a recording, including the big "Broadway" production, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. But I was really impressed with the Cirque Dreams Epicurean production. It was in a unique little space near the Epic Theater, and for a cover charge you get an above-average meal and a high-quality display of dazzling acrobatics. On the upper decks at the stern there's a sort-of-adults-only area that can be a fun place to relax. They have a huge movie screen where they're usually showing movies, but there is a giant chunk in the middle of the screen that doesn't work. I have no patience for that; it would have been nice to relax there and watch a movie in that environment, but because it was broken, I didn't do that. This ship was very clean. Sanitizing stations were ubiquitous, and beyond that I also just didn't notice anything anywhere that didn't seem like it wasn't diligently kept clean and tidy. The studio area has a smattering of "vending area" rooms, with empty vending machines. It was oddly difficult to find out what the weather was going to be like at the next port. The informational channel on the stateroom monitor would flash through a weather screen which said "Weather: not available" every single day of the cruise. And when I asked at the guest services desk one day for the weather at the next port, the guy straight-up lied. He was caught off guard by the question and looked at his computer for an uncomfortable amount of time before eventually saying: "Sunny. 32 degrees Celsius." It turned out to be a rainy day in the mid-to-upper teens. My NextCruise experience is an unpleasant memory. I'm not likely to do it again. The different people at the desk weren't prepared to answer questions like, "what can I get for in 2020?" They wanted me to have already identified the cruise I wanted based on the pamphlets they had. But the pamphlets don't have prices. They suggested going to the library and using the computers in there to browse cruises, but the computers in there don't let you do that, so I spent 2 hours in my room trying to do that on my tablet with the pathetically slow internet on the ship. And that didn't even get me that far. I hate that I wasted 2 hours of my cruise doing that. There's a sign that says "Cruise Consultant" in that area but I don't feel like they have such a thing as a "cruise consultant" available to us. But I did book another cruise on a different NCL ship with the same kind of studio staterooms, because I really like that type of cruising. I also really like Norwegian's fun, casual atmosphere. The Epic is a good ship but I think they have opportunities to make it more exceptional. If it were up to me, I'd start with the food offerings.

Plenty to appreciate

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Zawmer

Check-in at the port in Barcelona was really quick and smooth.

Zawmer’s Full Rating Summary