3. Carnival Conquest
We chose ship due to ports. This is our first carnival cruise although not our first cruise. We were on a family cruise celebrating my sons high school graduation! We are in our mid 40's with 2 teenage sons cruising. I'll start with the CONS: First off the Muster station drill.. Wow one gal had to be called 3 times at least! Not sure she ever showed up but we were held there nearly 45 mins to an hour shoulder to shoulder with other guests with little ventilation waiting on this lady to come for the drill! Why not do this in decks. There was a 60 second demo of how to use life vest and that was it - was played on the room TV too. Waste of time, people were so hot, crowded, and miserable. My hubby got pretty claustrophobic due to us waiting so long on one passenger. Ship was not clean, our balcony smelled like someone around was smoking all the time (even though not allowed and flares mine and my sons asthma), plexiglass on our balcony had handprints and smears (filthy) from previous guests, and dirty all over it (see pics). Food repetitive and got old fast. Other guests were entitled acting, loud, obnoxious, discourteous and we heard some bragging about being on 100% state/federal assistance programs! We felt like we were on a section 8/welfare cruise and I don't mean that rude, it is just the truth. Saw a previous review on this ship saying it was Jerry Springer type guests on here and I completely agree! The other passengers were pushing their way into food lines, like it was feeding time, loading plates to the brims, and just rude! It was gross to go through the buffet due to the people in the lines.. One lady got drunk and every night like clockwork went to the cabana staff (which were younger kids) and cussed them out and yelled until she got security there (that she asked for and was asking for the "Po-Po"). She needed to be contained and told this behavior wasn't allowed - I didn't take my kids on this ship to hear this language and see her trashy behavior. She was always claiming something she had was "stolen." Not sure why they continued serving alcohol to someone who was this loud, rude, cussing, and making such a scene - actually I do- for more $$ for carnival. These kids working didn't deserve this treatment either. They were doing their jobs trading in towels, but she felt she could tear them down and belittle them since she was drunk I guess.. The music was trashy and mostly rap- on repeat. No variances of music to accomodate other peoples music choices, but just for one set of guests in my opinion. There was no where you could go to get peace and quiet and relax on this ship. If you could find a quieter deck, there was a large white safety barrier blocking the ocean view. I asked a worker if I could put a chair on another deck which had a see through area and he said no. Like I mentioned above we were there for my sons graduation gift trip and he can not stand loud music and we found him hanging in the room most of the trip due to the loud chaotic environment. There were several pools rather than 1 large pool. They were either filled with little kids (packed full) or the adult pool which was a group of 20's age drunk men hitting on their girls for the day - which changed daily. Kind of entertaining I guess or disgusting. Swimsuits were minimal and should not allow thongs when people have kids on this ship. In the past when I cruised Royal Caribbean, the tipping was at the end of the ship and I felt like the staff/crew really worked for their tips. However, this ship I felt like an inconvenience (except in the formal dining room at night by wait staff). Staff and crew members (even the ones in all white or dressed up) would pass by in the halls or elevator and not say hello or engage in conversation. I've never experienced this before on other cruise lines. Their deli was one of the better places to eat but William who works there is rude and when I ordered my sandwich on a pretzel bun instead of the egg bun, he let out a huge sigh and rolled his eyes and was very rude in his tone and how he came across. They need to open a second deli somewhere in the ship - maybe in the O2 (teen hangout room) that was ALWAYS empty! The deli line was incredibly long every time! This should also tell them the food here is much better than the gross buffet. Wouldn't hurt to have just some chicken strips/fries on the buffet or something so you don' t have to wait in line for 30 mins for fries.. Desserts were beautiful and looked delicious but very disappointing when tasting. Only one worth the calories was the chocolate cheesecake one time. Toilets smelled so bad in our room, like a porta potty. Got worse everyday! Made you sick to use your own bathroom. My son (reason for our trip) was stoked for seafood on this trip. Said it wasn't really good, sushi (costs extra) was terrible and they did refund our money - thank you. But, I really expected good seafood and it wasn't tasty which was disappointing. In my opinion, they need to take a week off from cruising and update, renovate, and CLEAN this ship! I know they'd lose money not sailing for a week but this ship needs a good cleaning in corners, crevices, and scraping old rusty paint and re-painting. Decor needs updating. Bathroom counters etc are green in color. Cruise Director, Mat was funny to listen to but after day 2 or 3 he doesn't need to keep saying "Good morning ladies and gentleman, this is Mat your cruise director.." We know. He did do a good job entertaining - loved his laugh - was very genuine. The way he interacted with kids was funny and good too! Enjoyed Jake, Adele, and the other guy who MC'd too (can't remember his name-but bald and funny and had a b-day a few days after we got off the ship). We have teenage sons who loved the basketball courts they offered and had a lot of fun spending time there; staff was rude when they would come take the basketball away from these kids at 5:30 pm. Apparently there is a steakhouse underneath the courts so they don't allow them to play b-ball from 5:30-11pm. Therefore, every night we had to wait up til 1230 am so the kids could play ball from 11pm-12am. This is dumb. These kids paid the same as those ppl in the steakhouse to be here. Allowing them to have a ball from Noon-5:30pm then 11pm-12am needs to be re-evaluated or steakhouse moved - again maybe to the O2 lounge area that was always empty!!! Not a lot for teenage kids to do on this ship. Felt too old for the slides, pools were cramped with little kiddos, and not allowed in adult pools so they never stepped into a pool on the ship :( O2 lounge was empty as I stated above. Flags on the ship are a bit disrespectful and need to be replaced, they are torn up (see pics) Guests on this ship could not follow simple directions as I mentioned before they are all entitled. Now, there were a few normal people on here but not many. Mat the cruise director would give simple instructions for disembarkment process and no one could listen. We were on express disembark where we took our own luggage -haha it was anything but express. We were supposed to be off at 0830 and we didn't get off until 1010am due to the entitlement of others going before their deck was called. Literally waited on deck, in hallways, and theatre for 2 hours elbow to elbow with thousands of guests. Carnival said it was not their fault but one would think this was the first time they've ever emptied a ship! You need staff who are assertive and shut the elevators off! Mark off stair wells etc.. Had a lady keep saying "if you aren't on the stairs don't come down, if you are on an elevator, stay on and go back up to deck 9." If you have 1 crew for every 3 guests, put people at the top of the stairs and enforce it, shut down the elevators, get control of the unruly pushy guests! No one listened to her and just kept piling down the staircases and pushing their way through - we had to sit in the theatre for a while until we could get off due to this. This process needs re-vamped as well. King bed is only 2 twins pushed together..Don't fall in the crack when they move apart during the night! lol Elevators were Slllloooowww! Then when they opened, people would get on before letting others off which is super frustrating for a week straight. I was in the casino waiting on my husband and I was peering out a window looking at the ocean. A crew member came over and shut the shades to the window I was standing in front of.. I nicely said, "I was looking out that window at the ocean." and he said, "Oh sorry and proceeded to close the shades! What kind of customer satisfaction/service does this show? This was pretty much how all the crew treated us on this ship. Only Johnny (cabin steward) went out of his way to be kind and do a fabulous job! I've had 4 knee surgeries in past 1.5 years and I always liked going to the top decks on the ship to look out but elevators didn't go to the 11 and 12 floors and was definitely harder for me to get up the stairs but I made it. Would be nice if they had some way for people with knee issues/handicap guests to get to the top, this was the best view and somewhat quieter depending on what area of ship you were on. PROs The dancers/performers (4 women, 4 men) were amazing! We enjoyed each show each night, our favorite was the Flicks night. Their costumes could be a little less "cheeky" and showy of their butt cheeks and still have the same impact. They are talented and great singers/dancers. Their choreography is amazing and well rehearsed/performed! This was a huge highlight to us. Johnny our room steward was the only staff who was smiling, greeted me by name and kind. He did a great job and loved his towel animals each night!! Guest Services was very helpful booking an excursion after hours and in helping with anything we needed. Pools were drained, scrubbed well. That was reassuring as I mentioned above full of kids or 'horny' adults.. The staff really took their time and really cleaned these well when I watched one evening from afar. I wish they cleaned the whole ship like this! When waiting to get off ship on last day, Jesse was out working very hard scraping and re-varnishing benches around the pool. He was a hard worker and did a great job! Carnival Deli, 24 hour pizza, frozen yogurt, and Guys burgers were good - but only so many burgers you can eat in a week! PG comedian shows were hilarious! Loved Mr. Winfield the most. Went to an adult only once and stayed for

Food meh, dirty ship, loud obnoxious passengers, would not do carnival again

Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Kristen37

I'll start with the CONS:

PROs

Kristen37’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Conquest price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8F 6-239
Balcony filthy on the flooring, separating door, rusting, paint and caulking chipped off etc. (see pics). Our toilet never overflowed like i read on other posts/reviews but it stunk like a porta potty! King size bed was 2 twins pushed together.. Boys had couch and pull down from ceiling, they said they were not very comfortable but we made it work. Rooms need updated decor, especially bathrooms. Kinda felt like a floating RV bathroom - haha.

Our cabin steward, Johnny did a great job making beds, emptying trash and interacting with us!! He was very accommodating to us and he was my highlight. I loved coming in to see what towel pet he left. It is the small things sometimes!
Spa Deck Balcony Cabins