3. Voyager of the Seas
I and my family were on a vacation to Penang and Phuket. It was afternoon when we embarked. The exterior of the ship was patchy, rusty and old. Barnacles lined the bottom. When we entered the ship, we were immediately directed to WINDJAMMER after checking in. As we had priority boarding, it was very empty then so we got our food and table within 10 minutes. The carpeted floor was littered with dirt and scraps of food from the previous voyage. The food was horrible and the Char Siew(Cantonese toasted meat) was unprofessionally bathed in ketchup, contrary to the food award certificates that were proudly hung in dusty photo frames outside the buffet style restaurant. When we finished our food, windjammer was already full to the brim and there were people pushing and shoving. People were reserving tables with tissue paper packets and loud and disgusting music was being blasted through the PA system. Meanwhile, my father was having a splitting headache and my mother was complaining. We quickly exited Windjammer to go to our staterooms. However, our rooms were not ready till 1.30 p.m. so we had to wait 45 minutes. We then decided to walk around the ship. The pool was small like the regular ones you have in a backyard and full of people and the place was rusty and old, especially signboards. The elevators smelt like rotten eggs and the buttons were worn and polished by years of use. The library was appalling. There were little books, and the remaining books were arranged in a disorderly manner. The computers had unauthentic copies of Windows on them and had no ethernet or wireless connection, hence rendering them unusable. Games were all in a mess and had lost parts. Our rooms were soon ready. Doors to the corridors were opened. We went to our rooms, the junior suites which were very far. Entering it with our Sea pass, the rustic cabin of 1998 greeted me. The ceiling panels were falling out and dents were covered with stickers. Carpet was dirty as well. The toilet had a cheap and lousy shower head. The soap they provided was watery and did little to cleanse my body. There was no toothbrush provided and drainage pipes for the sink were corroded, exposed and leaks patched with rubber seals. The hair dryer was very unsafe as it spewed out the smell of burnt plastic every time I turned it on. The balcony had rust on the ceiling due to leaks. Lack of Universal Serial Bus ports for charging electronic devices and instead we were give two American ports. We did not bring travel adapters and since our charging adapters were UK ones, we were forced to buy overpriced travel adapters found in the store in deck 5. Speaking of the promenade deck, the indoor cabins without sea view had windows along there. The loud and annoying singing and dancing at night would disturb the residents from sleeping, hence the lights to their rooms on and their bloodshot eyes staring out from the glass windows. Crowds of people were dancing to the beat of the music and the promenade cafe full to the brim. The bar and lounge were empty as people who could not stand the music(like my parents) were repelled from the promenade. The lobbies of 8 lifts on each side of the promenade are full 24/7 either because people are going back to the rooms as they cannot find a table to dine or because they are escaping from the horrible 80s music blasted in the promenade. As we squeezed into the lift, a baby started crying and a boy watched cartoons on his phone. The smell of cheap perfume and perspiration fills the air as I struggle to breathe. The lift stops at almost every floor, once in a while someone stepping on my foot or someone wanting to get in but unable to. After an eternity the lift reaches the deck our staterooms are on. That is all I have to complain about. Now, about the pros. Despite the poor leadership in the team, on the bright side, the captain knows how to pilot the cruise properly, which is something we must be thankful for. The staff, especially the room keepers are polite, greeting us every time we see each other. Although we didn’t get to swim, the Phuket shore excursion and ice odyssey skating show were indeed entertaining. Despite internet connection speeds being slow, there was still internet. The beds were comfy and I did not suffer from sleepless nights. The rustic ship, despite its worn and torn look, is nostalgic and definitely brings back memories from the 90’s. Room service was good and fast.

Dirty, packed old ship.

Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by goh_6863

• Sail Date: June 2019
  • Destination: Asia

That is all I have to complain about. Now, about the pros.

goh_6863’s Full Rating Summary