3. Norwegian Breakaway
Let me just start by saying this is my first time ever writing a review. I travel quite extensively and I’ve had great times and good times and I roll with the punches regardless. I’m truly not hard to please so………Let me tell you about my cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway from May 19th – May 26th. Boarding - We boarded a bus from Miami Airport to the ship. While on the bus we received an impromptu tour while in route, which was fine. However, after arrival and getting off the bus we were herded into the line to board, employees began yelling hurry, hurry, why don’t you have your passports ready?? Fill out this form or you can’t board the ship. Hurry up. It would have been nice to be told on the bus to have things ready. The line was long but in fairness did move relatively fast. Food - Once on board and after the mandatory safety briefing we began to settle in. First, the food on board the ship was pretty good overall. The buffet had a decent variety. The complimentary restaurants and pay restaurants were both good. Interestingly enough service and quality of food improved with price. Pool – The pool was tiny considering the amount of people on board. People because saving seats because of the terrible wait for a drink. The main pool is flanked by four hot tubs, (Not my thing), but any given day one or more would be covered with netting and not able to be used. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. Once again, no poolside services either. Service – The service on this ship was slow to non-existent. Getting a drink poolside was awful. There were two bars poolside and on any given day the line was terrible. The bar staff was “Mostly” friendly but completely overwhelmed and understaffed. Not one person walking around taking drink orders, not one! It was so bad; people began getting the maximum number of drinks possible per card rather than stand in the long line again. I began to walk to lower floors in hopes of not finding a line. What a pain and no luck there either. We quickly realized that pre-paying your tips is a really bad concept, because I can assure you the incentive to provide good service is gone. I would much rather pay for good service “provided” rather than be forced to pay for mediocre to no service. Needless to say, we are all mad about the $200 we pre-paid for tips……….What a joke! Ports – Time allotted for each port was insufficient but we knew that going in so can’t really complain about that. However, the actual act of disembarking was terrible. We literally stood in line, winding down the stairways for a minimum of 45 minutes. Getting back on wasn’t nearly as bad. The Bahama’s, we were promised Nassau we got Great Stirrup Cay. No explanation given as to why the change, just deal with it. This was truly a nightmare. In order to visit we had to tender from the main boat. You had to arrange your own tender time, which we did; we were supposed to leave by 12:15. Well, after waiting and waiting we finally got called only to now stand in line for another hour or so. We finally boarded our tender and arrived at approximately 2:45. Great, we had to be back on the ship by 5!! First thing, we decide to grab a beer, one guy working the booth “Handwriting” everyone’s information so, 20 minutes later we had a beer! When asked why short staffed “well we have people on the boat and here”, is that my problem? Should it be? So, we made the best of our hour and a half before we, you guessed it stood in line for another hour to tender back to the ship. Can I really say I visited the Bahamas, I think not? Final Disembark – This must be the greatest disaster of them all. At this point, I was truly convinced the crew of the Norwegian Breakaway had no earthly idea any of the 4000 people on board were coming this week. We snaked several flights of stairs after finally getting to the deck we would disembark from, we were then routed the entire length of that floor which unfortunately meant a trip through the casino. It stunk so bad from cigarettes people were literally holding rags over there mouth to breathe through. This process took almost three hours, no exaggeration. We were so glad to finally get off of that ship. I could go on because there is much more but, suffice to say. If you are into terrible service, long lines for food and drinks and decent food the Norwegian Breakaway is for you!

1st Cruise - Last Cruise - Please Read Before You Book!!

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Dave-D1

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

I could go on because there is much more but, suffice to say.

Dave-D1’s Full Rating Summary