3. Westerdam
I chose this cruise because of the itinerary and the price. The first 14 nights were spent cruising around Japan with a stop in Vladivostok. The next 15 nights included two more ports in Japan and then 6 sea days crossing the north Pacific to our first port in Alaska, Kodiak. I have to say, the first 14 days were very busy with tours and I really enjoyed the sea days to rest up! I flew into Narita Airport and took the Limousine Bus directly to my hotel in Yokohama. The desk for Limousine Bus was directly across from where you exit the secure area of the airport. The ticket to Yokohama was around $35. The bus picked us up right outside the door. Very convenient. It was about a two hour ride to the New Grand Hotel in Yokohama. We were dropped right in front of the hotel. I had a double room in the tower for about $260 per night. Right across the street from the hotel is a pretty park and the harbor. The cruise ship terminal is within walking distance, but I chose to take a cab, about $7. Getting on board was pretty efficient. My first stop was the Lido Buffet for lunch. The buffet is not self serve, but seemed to move along quite well. The buffet staff were very helpful and were happy to fetch anything you may have forgotten to pick up as well as replenish drinks. Most of my dinners were in the main dining room. I had anytime dining and was traveling by myself. I was always seated at a table with other English speaking travelers. The staff in the dining room were great! They were so friendly. Of course with anytime dining, you don't get that personal touch that you would get with fixed time dining. My favorite food place was Dive In, the burger joint out by the pool. The burgers and hotdogs are done as you order them and are great. The French fries were the best. Overall, the food was very good. However, I didn't care for the lasagna. I had one dinner in the Pinnacle Grill and it was outstanding. Get the soufflé for dessert. I was very impressed with the crew on this ship. They were all so friendly and helpful. I had the best cabin stewards, Wayan and Alex. Entertainment was your usual comedians, magicians, singers and dancers. One night a local group of Japanese girls came on board for a Taiku drums show. This was one of the best shows I have ever seen on a cruise ship and I've been on 36 cruises! These girls were fantastic! The audience was mesmerized by their performance. I'm so glad I saw this show. I was in a verandah cabin. I liked the layout of the room. As you entered, the closet was on the right and the bathroom was on the left. On the newer ships I've been on, the closets are next to the bed and awkward to access. My biggest cabin complaint on this ship and most others cruise ships is that the hairdryer and outlet for a curling iron are at the desk where the lighting leaves a lot to be desired. The lighting in the bathroom is great and it would be nice to be able to do my hair there. I wish the desk would have had some drawer space. However, the desk actually had a real chair instead of some uncomfortable stool to sit on. I found the ship to be well maintained and clean, but I was not impressed with the décor. The ship seemed dark. I loved the aft pool and deck area. It was a great place for sail away. You could bring out your food from the Lido buffet as there were tables and chairs here as well as loungers. The biggest disappointment for me and many others that I talked to was the lack of a library. I love the library on ships. Not everyone has a Kindle nor do they want to be bothered with one and rely on the ship's library for their reading material. There was so much wasted space in the Crow's Nest and a library would have been welcomed there. I was on the Rotterdam last year and that ship had a wonderful library. Please don't change it! I won't discuss ports as there were so many of them. I do want to offer one tip for the port of Shimizu. When you sail into Shimizu, you will get spectacular views of Mt. Fuji on the star bird side of the ship. Sailing out of port, it will be on the port side. If you're lucky, it won't be covered with clouds! All in all, it was a great cruise and I could have stayed on the ship longer. The Japanese people were friendly and polite. Language was not a problem in the tourist areas. Would I do this cruise again? No, because there are so many other places to see, but I enjoyed every minute of this cruise.

Japan to Vancouver: 29 nights