3. Koningsdam
We have done several cruises with Holland America and we really like them. The ships are clean and classy and they have itineraries that we like. We always consider every availability but frequently choose Holland America for these reasons. The ports were excellent and the amount of time allocated for each port we thought adequate. We don't use the cruise ship tours. We prefer to find travelers we like and share tours / transportation with them once we reach port. This has worked very well for us. I am a vegetarian and the main dining room always has excellent accommodations. The have a full vegetarian menu available on request and I order from that a day in advance for dinner. The food, and service were both very good. The only criticism we had of this trip was the entertainment. The Rolling Stone venue is by far the best. The BB King venue is a close second, but the BB King lineup we had on the last ship was far better. The dueling pianos venue is terrible. No one we spoke to liked it and the typical response when bringing it up was an eye roll. Holland American used to have the classic piano bar setup which was a lot better in our estimation. We had Barry from Boston on that cruise and he is hands-down the best ship performer I have ever seen. And I was a recording engineer for 20 years. Barry Rocklin. If you get the chance to see him on a cruise, say Hi for me. He's incredible. Meanwhile, Holland America? If you're listening... The dueling pianos thing needs to go away. The gym is very nicely arranged and outfitted. I would like to see 2 or so more recumbent bikes and it would be nice to have it open at 5 AM rather than 6 AM, but those are very minor points. Overall the gym is excellent and it has a great view of where you're going. I am working on the full travel blog which will be on my website warrenharris.net Also, my YouTube channel (look for Warren Paul Harris) has numerous videos of our adventures on this trip as well as video reviews of the ship itself.

I highly recommend this ship. Excellent accommodations

Koningsdam Cruise Review by WarrenPaulHarris

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Verandah Stateroom

WarrenPaulHarris’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VS 4041
The cabin was a good size. Not spacious, but plenty of room for us. The bathroom is very nice and the shower is quire remarkable. Shower water pressure is the best I've ever seen and shower size is only about a foot shorter in each dimension than the one we have at home.
The end exterior wall is all glass. There is a makeup table / desk spanning between the exterior wall and a door to the verandah off to the side. The veranda is very spacious - about 8' by 10' or so.
The mirror over the desk and in the bathroom both have the same arrangement. Rather than external lighting, there is a 2" wide strip of transparent glass around the perimeter of the mirror, through which it is backlighted. This is a very nice effect.
The bed was quite comfortable.
The safe is larger that we are accustomed to.

The description for our cabin was a partially obstructed view. We thought it was just fine. This has the first lifeboat closest to the bow of the ship right below room 4041. Therefore on the verandah, the view is blocked up to the railing. Above that it is clear. We had no complaints about that at all.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins