I chose this cruise because of the chance to see the Inner Passageway up close, and because it sailed round-trip from Seattle. Visits (and excursions) in both Juneau and Sitka were beautiful and worthwhile; Ketchikan is just one big souvenir shop and hardly worth the stop. This was only my 2nd ocean cruise (the first was on Viking; all others were various river cruises) and I admit to having been spoiled by smaller ship size and ambience. In my opinion, this ship does not deserve a 4.5/5 rating. We ate at the Lido, in the Dining Room and in Pinnacle Grille and, at best, the food deserves a 4 (in the Lido, a 3 would be all I would give it). Service in the Dining Room and Pinnacle was good and efficient. Lido was hit or miss service (usually ended up filling and refilling all drinks ourselves), and food was cafeteria quality (except for omelet station, which was good tho' lines were usually quite long). Food stations were not organized well for crowd flow and table bussing was often slow. Onboard entertainment was not very exciting: America's Test Kitchen was just watching from a distance as someone else prepared a meal, and the Billboard OnLine performers were just OK. Best entertainment was the movie "Alaska in Concert," which was excellent (shown two times on one night of the cruise). I had paid for a spa pass and was sorry I had. The 6 lounge chairs in the spa were usually full and there was a separate aqua pool but no hot tub. Sauna's were nice but how long can you stay in one of those? WiFi was awful: slow and sporadic and you can only connect it to one device at a time. Very expensive for what you get. The worst thing about this cruise was the constant "upselling" that went on. We were interrupted several times during lunch conversations with waitresses telling us about specials in Pinnacle and Tamarind (the additional cost restaurants). Every fitness and spa experience was an infomercial and the absolute worst were the ship photographers who were in your face at meals, on the deck and as you were heading off for shore excursions. If I heard "let's see those smiles!" from the male photographer once I heard it 24 times during the 7 days of the cruise. Finally, I would not recommend going on the Eurodam as a single traveler. Fortunately, I had family travelling in another cabin, but the large ship size makes it more difficult to meet and connect with new people.

Beautiful scenery; so-so cruise

pduncan’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Eurodam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VB 3073
Cabin size and storage adequate for 1 traveler. Bed comfortable. Furnishings dated and some "dinged up." Bathroom (especially tile and tub surround) really in need of refurbishing (caulking loose and missing). Lots of cabin movement while sailing (took seasick medicines 3 days).
Rotterdam Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Best of Juneau
    Little hard finding the right tour as there were so many guides waiting outside the ship, but really enjoyed this tour. Saw Glacier Gardens and Mendenhall Glacier and a salmon hatchery (no salmons except babies but learned a lot). Had a great guide.
    View All 50 Best of Juneau Reviews
  • Ketchikan
    Mostly 3 streets of souvenir shops and 1 short alley of old buildings. Went into Dolly's House (former brothel) and that was interesting.
    Cruise should skip Ketchikan and spend more time in Victoria
    View All 1,784 Ketchikan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ketchikan Cruise Port Review
  • Seattle
    Took cruise ship transfer bus between airport and ship. Not very scenic but got me where I needed to be. Would have been nice to have been able to wait for bus at airport in an inside room as it was cool and windy that day and we had to wait about 45 minutes for next bus.
    View All 835 Seattle Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Seattle Cruise Port Review
  • Sitka
    This was my favorite spot on the cruise. Saw bear and raptor rescue centers, had a city tour from a native Sitkan who was knowledgeable and funny and saw the beautiful National Forest and totem poles.
    View All 12,995 Sitka Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Sitka Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    Disembarkation 45 minutes late due to Customs hold up. Extremely disorganized as HAL gave only purchasers of its own excursions reassurances that the delay would not mess up their excursion plans. Hard to find our excursion, no help from HAL staff (had to take city shuttle $15) into town then search for the Big Bus 2 blocks away. Prerecorded city information that wasn't very interesting. I've been to Victoria before and it's a nice city; you wouldn't know it from this experience. Need a full day here, not just from 6:30-10:30 pm
    View All 70 City Tour Reviews