3. Norwegian Jade
This was my first NCL experience. I came prepared with lower expectations, but I was wrong. I am an avid cruiser with literally dozens of Royal, Celebrity, Holland, Princess, and Seabourn cruises. I was expecting mediocre and received outstanding service on this cruise. The staff had an amazing positive attitude and 99 percent of the crew we came in contact with were far superior to your average cruise. I know how hard it is to create that incentive to perform and maintain great morale for jobs that are hard and demanding. Dining Room staff was well trained, gracious, and we received consistent service in the dining room, with the food arriving hot all the times we were at the Pacific or Alizar restaurant. There were five entrees that were the same and available daily and at least five more each day. Food was well presented and far superior to Royal and Princess. No filet mignon or lobster on the menu, but good choices, tasty and again beautifully plated for a cruise in this category. Buffet had everything one could wish for. Different roasts, hot entrees, pasta cooked to order station, salad bar, Asian and Indian station, and hot vegetarian selections. Service at the buffet was excellent with fast and professional staff. Tables got busy quite often and sometimes I had a little struggle to find a place to sit. Pastry and breads can be improved. There is variety but quality can be better. No pressure for sales of drinks by the pools or the bars. The ship is in good shape with the exception of a few windows in the dining room and lobby that have damage and need to be replaced. You don’t want to sit by a window in the dining room and see a distorted image of the ocean. Norwegian certainly provided a far superior experience than what I was expecting. Thy lived up to their “Freestyle” promise? which they advertise as their brand. Hotel Manager’s direct phone number and a mailbox is available next to the Front Desk. I have never seen this on any cruise on any other cruise line. Buffet tables have the name of the Maitre D’ on duty on the floor during each meal service, as well as his or her telephone number. Entertainment was between good and very good. I often refuse to attend cruise ship shows but most were pleasant and entertaining. Different venues had music available at the same time with a variety of styles for every taste. Cabin Steward was proactive and very professional and pleasant. Cabin was comfortable with bathroom having a good size shower with a sliding door and also a toilet with a sliding door. This was a port intensive cruise with nine ports in eleven days. This crew worked hard. One poor experience at the Front Desk was dealt with professionally and I received a call with an apology. I had a very nice cruise with NCL and would recommend it to people who want a casual experience where you, the guest, decide just about everything about your vacation, including what time you wish to disembark. I do notice every single detail involving service and employee attitude, and I am not always the easiest person to please, but I have to give it five stars for matching the experience to what their brand and price point sells for. Cruise Director seemed inexperienced. Guest enjoy sail away either by the pool or the Spinnaker Lounge, the forward lounge with great views. We found it closed for rehearsals when we were sailing away from some ports, while many of the guests wanted to sit there and enjoy a drink and the view. Overall I received excellent value for my money and I would give it another try aboard NCL.

Outstanding