3. Coral Princess
We chose this trip because we’ve never been to Alaska and wanted to see a lot. We did the right thing by doing the 5 day land tour first. We started in Fairbanks and stayed at the Princess River lodge 2 nights. The room was adequate and the beds comfortable. Really enjoyed the River cruise and gold dredge tour but the lunch provided wasn’t good. Perfect weather. On to Denali where we went on the natural history tour. Six hours of being on buses that day was way too much. Luckily we had a great dinner that night at the lodge. Loved the wild life and seeing those mountains. McKinley was next. Beautiful property and fab weather. Another long train trip to Anchorage where we stayed at Hotel Captain Cook. Great corner room with sweeping views of the city and bay. Wish we had more than one night! We stopped at the Alaskan Wildlife Refuge on the way to Whittier which was wonderful. Up close and personal with injured or orphaned bears, wolves, moose, reindeer and more. Boarding the ship was easy and our cabin was very nice. I did not hear about a send off at all. I would say my dinners were quite good and just enough food. We had a dining room breakfast one morning but the food wasn’t special so we ate at the buffet the rest of the time even though we aren’t crazy about them. Too germy. Booked Princess excursions in all three ports. In Skagway we went zip lining over Grizzly Falls in the mountains. Highly recommend and so fun. Small group too. In Juneau a whale watch and salmon bake. Whale watch was a total dud. Our boat was too far away and what few whales that day weren’t leaping. Rude passengers blocked rails and planted themselves so we couldn’t see. One woman took my seat even though all my stuff was there. First time we didn’t tip and we always tip very well. Salmon bake had a great setting in the woods and lunch was good. Our best excursion was in Ketchikan where we did Alaska Sea Cycles. So much fun, great exercise and they gave us lunch after and threw herring in the dock area so we could watch the bald eagles dive. I disagree with reviews about the entertainment. We really liked the production shows and thought the comedians were very funny. Disembarkation was super organized, even better than our Baltic cruise. Bottom line: A lot of hits and a few misses. The land tour would appeal to sedentary people. Too much sitting for us. But the weather was perfect the entire time and the scenery was too!

Alaska land tour and cruise May 2019

Coral Princess Cruise Review by Witchett

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

Disembarkation was super organized, even better than our Baltic cruise.

Witchett’s Full Rating Summary
Get Coral Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB D717
Cabin was clean and comfortable for us. Plenty of room too. Our steward, Reymond, took great care of us!
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins