3. Nieuw Statendam
This ship is the latest in the Pinnacle class for Holland America. I wanted to sail on the new ship, even as I read reviews from veteran HAL cruisers warning about elimination of some of the charm of the older ships. I agree with those reviews; the ship seems very crowded in the Lido cafe during rush times; the World Theater can get too crowded. The promenade deck has been cut down and there are none of the wooden deck lounges which allow you to sit out on deck and enjoy the sea views and air. Do not get me wrong - the ship is beautifully appointed, the staff service is excellent. I found the Main dining room choices rather limited and enjoyed dinner in the Canaletto and Nami Sushi restaurants much more. We stayed in a Vista Balcony suite which made excellent use of storage space and had numerous USB outlets for charging devices. Beds are very comfortable and the shower is excellent. But, as another reviewer has said, it now feels like we are nickel and dimed on board. The shore excursion prices are exorbitant (especially in Saint Petersburg---I opted for a local travel group TJ Travel that provided an excellent, small group tour in a van as oppposed to 50 on a bus for $100 less than HAL). Sea day activities were meh.... I did very much enjoy the Music Walk performances of the BB King Blues Theater, Billboard performances, and the Rock and Roll band. The Lincoln Center quartet was also very nice. This was my 5th cruise with HAL - if I were to sail again, I would seek out the smaller refurbished ships.

Mixed feelings about the New Ship

bjnor’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Statendam price drops

Vista Suite with Verandah
Cabin A 5118
This cabin was very comfortable and made great use of available storage. The numerous electric outlets, which included USB ports, was appreciated. I enjoyed the spacious shower and the beds were comfortable. I do find that the duvets can be too heavy, so was using the small fleece blanket. Cabin Steward noticed this and made my bed up with that and a top sheet. Excellent service from Rizky and Roy. We enjoyed the balcony and the lounge chairs provided. Liked the fact that they provided us with an umbrella, binoculars, and the fleece blankets as well as robes, slippers, and a HAL shopping bag.
Schubert Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins