3. Carnival Valor
My daughter and some of her high school friends wanted to go on a senior trip so a cruise on Carnival Valor was chosen. I wasn’t excited about the choice but obliged. The cruise port in New Orleans is a nightmare. If you cruise with Carnival you are herded like cattle on and off the ship. We were supposed to board the ship at 12:30. We arrived at 11:30 and it took over an hour to board. Once on the ship we couldn’t access our room until 1:30. If you bought the cheers package and didn’t have a credit card attached to your account you couldn’t use your drink package the entire first day because, being on the Mississippi River, they needed to charge tax on drinks and had no way to charge so they wouldn’t serve you and were very rude about it...so essentially 51.00 lost the first day. The ship is old and very dated. The toilet in my room looked like it was never cleaned. It had a black mildew ring in the bowl my entire trip. The curtains in my room looked like they had cigarette burn holes in them. The sofa was dirty and worn. There is only one outlet in each cabin which makes it very difficult to get ready, charge your cell phone, use hairdryers or flat irons... The casino with live entertainment was located directly below my cabin. I had to call and complain about how loud it was nearly every night. I’m ready to sleep by 11:30 and when I can hear a song being played so clearly that I can sing the words it is entirely too loud. We ate in the main dining room two nights and the food was less than average. I had the lasagna one night and it was a square of ground beef with cheese on top. The second night I ordered the Mahi Mahi and it tased like starkist tuna. It was awful. And the desserts were equally as bad. The only entertainment we enjoyed were the comedians. The adult show was for ages 18 and above. My daughter and another boy on the trip were kicked out of the show by Casey from Canada because they were under 18. My daughter will be 18 in a month and I was also with her but Casey from Canada would not let her stay regardless of the fact that the entire rest of her classmates were in the Punchliner lounge. I think if a parent is with their child and they are fine with their child staying with the group then Casey from Canada should have left well enough alone. She even came back over to me during the show and told me my daughter was going to have to leave. Mind you she had already dicked my daughter out but she thought one of her classmates was my daughter and had snuck back in. She was hassling me to the point of not being able to enjoy the show. Casey from Canada was a total thumbs down. Service on this cruise was less than expected. Our room was only serviced once a day in the morning and they never came back to refresh your towels or linens. I had to catch a service cart in the hallway many nights just to get extra towels. I never once saw my cabin steward. The bar staff was rude or had no personality. So many times at the guest services desk they would only have one person working and a line a mile long waiting for help. They automatically charge gratuities to your sail and sign card and if you want them taken off you must stand in the very long line at guest services. Ports left a lot to be desired. Cozumel was fun and all the kids had a great time. We opted for the catamaran cruise beginning at 12:30 which included snorkeling and water toys. The lunch on the island was average and expensive. Progresso is a joke. I have no idea why they choose this place as a port of call. There is absolutely nothing there. Total waste of a day. I just returned from a Norwegian cruise in March and Carnival could definitely learn some pointers from them. I have also cruised on Disney and RCCL several times. Norwegian Bliss was an amazing ship and a wonderful experience. No headaches, long lines, rude staff and you felt like you mattered to them. They worked to take care of their guests and create an experience that would make them want to return. Carnival Valor was definitely the worst cruise I have ever been on and that sealed the deal for me. I will NEVER cruise Carnival again. RCCL and Norwegian will get my business.

Never again on Carnival

Carnival Valor Cruise Review by Lesiee

Lesiee’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Carnival Valor price drops

Ocean Suite
Cabin OS
Cabin felt dirty and very dated. It was very noisy from the casino and live entertainment below. The steward only serviced the cabin once a day - in the morning - so if you came in and showered before dinner you weren’t getting any fresh towels until the next day. There was a dirty mildew ring in the toilet bowl during the entire cruise.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins