3. Celebrity Eclipse
We sailed 10 days to Alaska. We are experienced cruisers and chose Celebrity because it sailed roundtrip out of Vancouver on a date we wanted. We fell for their marketing hype. It was expensive and not worth the cost. We sailed in a Concierge class cabin midship. We bought the classic drink package as a perk. There were some good points which I'll cover first. We did not pay much extra for the concierge class cabin which gives some extras that we thought were worth it. You get an expanded room service breakfast menu which included fresh squeezed orange juice and fruit smoothies. You get foot rests on the balcony which were very good. The afternoon canapes were good but we stopped them after a few days because they sat too long before we could eat them. They would be really good if you have late sitting in the dining room. Nice to have a canape with a pre dinner cocktail. The extra thick bath robes were really good especially on chilly mornings on the balcony. The bottle of bubbly in the room was actual French sparkling wine. It was decent and a nice touch to start the cruise. They no longer put flowers or fresh fruit. No longer give you a canvass tote bag. The Concierge was never around. Cabins were a good size with decent storage for a short cruise. The bathroom was very good with lots of hot water. Very poor is there is no self serve laundry anywhere. Throwing your stuff away and buying new stuff in port is cheaper than using their cleaning service. Staff were very friendly except for one buffet wait staff they brought on in Juneau. Rude and surly. I can't imagine what she will be like after 2 months at sea. Our cabin was really well maintained by a very friendly and helpful steward. He was always around and grreted us by name with a smile. Dining room staff were awesome. Very attentive and willing to correct the problems. We did not get bothered too much by the upselling. Ships officers were nowhere. Crusie director is tiresome after the second day. Very stale jokes. Food quality was mixed. We had some good meals and some very bad ones. Both in the MDR and the buffet. The buffet was mostly bad. Had many dirty plates and cutlery. More than half the items were East Indian and Asian dishes EVERYDAY. I like that food but this was way too much. It gets really boring seeing the same stuff. Some dishes were inedible they were so dry and tough. Maybe leftovers? Pasta stations were bland and watery. Pasta Soup! I was served RAW steak and RAW burger by the grill. Other guests had similar experiences. Some were very angry. We ordered poached eggs one morning in the MDR. They arrived in a bowl of melted butter!. Seriously. They have theme nights in the buffet. On Alaska day the only dish that was even remotely considered Alaskan was fish cakes and they were awful. I assumed they were left over fish from yesterday remade into patties. Not even a piece of salmon. No Alaska cod. No Albacore tuna. Alaska is the salmon capital of the world folks! We ate at Murano one night which was pretty good but too expensive. They offered a crab dinner one night which was an extra $45 plus tip each for a single king crab leg. I guess they have never been to Las Vegas!! The drink package was alright but selection is limited. Had no problem getting drinks or refills. Cappuccinos and Irish coffee in the Cafe were nice but they have to learn to wipe the tables. The mixed fancy cocktails were using premix and had hardly any alcohol. I would not buy the drink package unless it comes free as a perk or is very very cheap. Bottled water is the kind you get 6 for $1. The shopping on board is terrible. Poor quality and prices that are insulting they are so high. I can buy scotch for less in a retail store than their duty free prices. To order a $20 bottle of anything for your cabin is $100 plus tip!! They must believe their customers are stupid. They try to sell a cruise video at the end for $35. We saw a preview and it was stock footage from years ago. The ship was parked in different locations and pier has since been changed. You can get the same for free on youtube. The casino was poorly managed. We repeatedly had a young big loud drunk on our poker table and they did nothing to remove him. The art sales are a joke. Lots of Peter Max works. You should read about the current scandal surrounding Peter Max. The entertainment was awful. Jazzercizing while screech hollering is not entertainmant. Their troupe was not talented! The ships band was awesome. Probably the best we have seen on a cruise ship. Unfortuanately whenever they played around the ship it was jazz or the chacha. UGH! The guset services desk staff are indifferent not friendly at all. They gave use the wrong info several times. Had to get the right answers from other passengers. The main reason we would not cruise again with Celebrity is we feel their pricing system is predatory. It is like a dutch auction / russian roulette game. They hook you in and then start dropping the prices after you have paid. This happens sometimes daily. Our dealings with Alex from customer service in Miami were very poor. He did not honor his word. We felt bullied. Well Celebrity you had a chance to steal us away from Princess but you blew it. I feel you don't care about your passengers. You don't deliver what you advertise. You have not answered my 2 e-mails to you. You should learn the cost of acquisition of new customers and the future sales value of a loyal customer. We are wealthy, retired and active cruisers. Very poor business management. I doubt you read these reviews. My booking was 8608148. Call me if you have the courage.

First and Last time with Celebrity