3. Carnival Legend
My husband and I sailed on the Legend years ago and left with the overall impression that the decor was extremely gaudy and the overall experience was so-so. However, when friends picked this cruise and invited us along, we opted to join them for their company more than anything else. Here are my overall impressions of our experience this time: Embarkation and debarkation - some of the smoothest I've ever had. We were on and off in no time. I especially love the Port Valet program. If you're flying a participating airline, this is a no brainer! Do it! Ship - it's still gaudy. All those molded plastic urns are a bit much! I felt like we were looking at cremated remains. Cabin - we had an aft vista suite, 7347. I loved the extra space and the jacuzzi tub. But can I say one thing? Outlets! Outlets! Oulets! We had one place in the dressing room area in order to charge things. I brought along a multi-plug and USB port (dont' bring a surge protector because it may be confiscated) and we were fine. But it would really be nice to have outlets by the beds. The balcony was dirty and needed a good cleaning. I know it was from the soot from the smokestack, but one morning I went out an wiped down the railing and the chairs before our friends arrived. The caulking in the tub was cracked, one of the bathroom cabinets was scarred up and one of the walls had a dent from the door handle hitting it too hard. Little things, I know, but still make an overall impression. Dining - we did anytime dining and found it worked well for the most part. I was disappointed that there was no escargot available at all. The food was average, at best, and often not served hot. The wait staff was exceptional, however, with the exception of one woman who appeared to be a supervisor of some sort. She had a scowl and we saw her actually grab a crew member by the arm and drag him off somewhere. That's a definite HR no-no! The lido deck buffet was okay, but times were not always conducive to our needs. Guys Burgers is a nice addition. Entertainment and activities - I came on vacation to relax, so I didn't do many activities. The variety, however, was very good and trivia seemed to draw large crowds. The shows were some of the best I have seen at sea. This was an extremely talented cast. Don't miss the Epic Rock night show. Amazing! Service - overall, it was very good. Our room steward Antonio was very accommodating, despite the fact that we were in our cabin a lot to enjoy the balcony. Ports and shore excursions - I did not do any Carnival shore excursions. I enjoyed the ports, especially Glacier Bay. We had PERFECT weather which made it even better. The only port I was not crazy about was Icy Strait Point. Perhaps if we had done an excursion, it would have been better. There's not much to see or do there. We walked to Hoonah and back just to check out the town, but again, not much there. It's not a touristy place by any means. It was nice to see, but again, just not my overall favorite. Overall - this was my fourth time to Alaska, second on Carnival. My very first trip was on the Carnival Jubilee in September of 2000. The weather is definitely less rainy in May, so I highly recommend going early in the season. Four years ago, we cruised on the Celebrity Solstice and found it to be more to our liking. Again, this time we cruised with friends who picked the ship. We had a great time with them on this Alaska adventure.

Great Itinerary - Gaudy Ship

Carnival Legend Cruise Review by kathisu

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Vista Suite

Here are my overall impressions of our experience this time:

kathisu’s Full Rating Summary