Celebrity Edge Cruise Review

New Target Customers

Celebrity Edge Cruise Review by Bagofair

• Sail Date: Apr 2019
  • Destination: Transatlantic

We are long time Celebrity cruisers (8 different ships) starting in 2009. We have also done cruises on Princess, NCL, Carnival and Cunard and were travelling with an older neighbour friend and her married daughter.

My wife and I liked our Deck 11 concierge stateroom. New balcony format adds lots of room and especially for baggage storage when you are packing/unpacking. Window opening does pauses HVAC performance but loss of heat/coolness can be somewhat controlled by closing inner balcony doors. Those inner doors should have vertical curtains so that light could be better controlled and differing sleep / wake up schedules accommodated.

I've been in IT over 40 years and found the internet package coverage was solid throughout most of the ship ship. While we experienced only minor connectivity issues and session disconnects while wandering around the different ship areas, many others were not . Unfortunately many others had Internet speeds on transatlantic crossing were very good with only exception of late day and evening after leaving Bermuda.

Overall services on ship were professional tainted only by a couple of "sour" crew members encountered. We signed up for the late meal sitting and were assigned to a table of four in the Tuscan grill. Unfortunately, our linked reservations with friends placed them in the Normandy as a couple. After speaking with the concierge office we all ended up in the Tuscan given that our friends like it's decor over the french restaurant setting.

Our dining experience in the late meal assignment was somewhat mixed. While the service was very good, food and portion inconsistencies (mostly with combined meat pasta dishes) caused us to order double Entrees pretty well most evenings. For example the vegetarian "Vegetable Wellington" Entree offering was the approximate size of a Pop-Tart and it upset my wife to the point that she refused to eat it and simply went on to have a desert.

The Sommelier / wine steward was very pleasant but brand new to position. She had little to no basic wine knowledge. Sadly she should have been better trained and/or have shadowed someone for longer periods. I had to request she bring over the wine list multiple times when she had absolutely no clue as to what was available or as a recommendation with a selected food item.

Entertainment and Excursion seminars were OK in my opinion, although one of the presenters lacked any level of professionalism or decorum by placing past girlfriend and sailboat "puking" pictures on the overhead screen. Very poor judgement IMO. I liked the few excursions in the we had chose in the Azores, Lisbon and Paris (Eiffel tower and non-dining boat cruise). We found the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao to be a disappointment likely given the nature of almost the entire 2nd floor display materials of post WWII and other genocide reflections material. Art I suppose but rather hugely depressing!

My biggest challenge in liking the Edge was the amount of noise at all times in public areas and no real quiet area offerings on the ship outside of staterooms and external decks. While I understand that a younger clientele is being targeted and the ROI for each square foot of space profitability are critical items for Celebrity and its investors, from a long term Celebrity cruiser prospective, the lack of quiet space without retreating to your own cabin was a big on-going disappointment.

I was also frustrated by the completely upscale nature of boutique stores and store materials offered on the ship. I wasn't able to purchase a bottle opener or pack of cards while on the ship. It was all Tiffany's and other high-end designer items. And... its not like we haven't bought jewellery or other such luxury items previously, its just that there was no variety or lower end offerings, if we were so inclined.

Lastly, I must mention the unrelenting emails and shameless marketing of pre-cruise materials and bid offers. The occurrence of these items appeared to be significantly ratcheted up over the last 90 days before sailing. However, by that time we had purchased our shore excursions and even a call to the customer support line inquiring about a stateroom upgrade indicated that there were no available upgrades below Owner suite class in-spite of the "bid offer" options being suggested. An absolutely annoying in-basket filler and shotgun broadcast time waster. I even felt obliged to apologise to our friends we invited along on the cruise given the amount of "junk" emails sent out by Celebrity.

Unfortunately, I will not likely return to the Edge, II & III offerings because of the issues noted above. We have two cruises booked on Cunard given our very enjoyable QM2 transatlantic voyage home a week after getting off the Edge.

Bagofair's Full Rating Summary

I don't believe the local Ferry is affiliated with Cruise lines but they do try to up-sale everyone and push the daily pass over 2 way trips (half the cost of daily pass). Read the small print on the sign and take the two one-way trip option. We heard form other passengers that the bus ride was somewhat scary given state of roads and driver's speed. Not for the faint of heart apparently!

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Paris

Guide and city bus / water boat tour excellent. Lots of time to find snacks for lunch. Bathrooms at Eiffel tower were busy with long lines for both M&F customers. Some folks missed finding them near back/side of lagoon.

Cascais, Sintra and the beach

Interesting to tour but nothing spectacular...

View All 37 Cascais, Sintra and the beach Reviews